Tourist Visa to Non O Retirement

Am currently on second entry tourist visa while I wait for another school to get the "waiver" for Non B...(My life story in Thailand, waiting for employers to get the paperwork correct, wasted visa runs.)

Does not look like it is going to happen. Visa expires October 25, I have the monthly income to show for Non O, Visa, Retirement, to get embassy letter, bank statement, rental agreement, for Immigration, well over 50 years. Yes I know cannot work.

Can I do this in country say Sakhon Nakhon Immigration, my local office? Can I do this in Bangkok, Chaeng Wattana? Could I do this in Udon Thani with the girlfriends address as I live there half the time.

Do I have to go to the Thai Consulate in Laos to do this?

I was on "retirement" a few years ago but went from Non B, during first 90 days, done at Korat at that time.

You first have to convert your tourist visa to a Non-O. Most likely you will have to go to Bangkok to do this, but you can ask your local office.. The cost is 2000 baht. It can then be extended for retirement. Since you live close to the border it might be easier for you to go to Laos and get a single entry Non-O and then extend that for retirement. Up to you! Remember you cannot legally work on a retirement extension. But, I do as it's work just getting out of bed every day!

You first have to convert your tourist visa to a Non-O. Most likely you will have to go to Bangkok to do this, but you can ask your local office.. The cost is 2000 baht. It can then be extended for retirement. Since you live close to the border it might be easier for you to go to Laos and get a single entry Non-O and then extend that for retirement. Up to you! Remember you cannot legally work on a retirement extension. But, I do as it's work just getting out of bed every day!

Thanks now. If I choose the Lao route will I need the financials and Embassy letter at that time of Application or only later when I go for the extension.?

• Like 1

If planning to convert for retirement believe there is a good chance upcountry immigration will do that without a trip to Bangkok if you prove residence. But if you need to visit Bangkok for an embassy letter I would ask local immigration first and if not you can do when in Bangkok as they will do for any office that does not do themselves.

If using income stat declaration you might need 2 of them if you do a conversion. One for visa application and another for extension. Very few offices do everything in one trip.

This is correct, unfortunately it might require 2 trips to the Embassy. The first for the conversion and the second for the extension. My immigration office will only accept the letter withtn 30 day of issuance and they will not extend your permission to stay untii the last 30 days. A catch 22 situation, but such is life!

It is supposed to be 6 months now for income documents but not sure about all offices.

I think if I was OP I would make a trip to Laos for non-o. Then go for extension.

Thanks now folks another thought.

If I do it within Thailand it should be how long before present visa expiry Oct.25, 3 weeks or so before?

And if I go to Laos, I guess it does not really matter.

You can go as early as you want to. Your current entry will be cancelled when they stamp in the 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

But no later than 3 weeks. At one time there was a 21 day minimum.

Sent from my AirPad 8" TA803D using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If using income stat declaration you might need 2 of them if you do a conversion. One for visa application and another for extension. Very few offices do everything in one trip.

This is correct, unfortunately it might require 2 trips to the Embassy. The first for the conversion and the second for the extension. My immigration office will only accept the letter withtn 30 day of issuance and they will not extend your permission to stay untii the last 30 days. A catch 22 situation, but such is life!

Same here in CM. I had to go twice to the consulate in CM because my first letter of income expired after 30 days. Just more leg work is all. Edited by SecretAgentMan

Same here in CM. I had to go twice to the consulate in CM because my first letter of income expired after 30 days. Just more leg work is all.

Income letters are now valid for 6 months. ( first check if this is implemented at your local immigration office )

In Pathum Thani all they required was my address guarantee, a letter from the Cdn Embassy with my income and the paperwork application and the BAHT LOL

I got it all done in a matter of an hour including wait time.

I have been told several times and have never pushed the issue that you need to get your application put thru where you are residing.

As long as you have a current letter and all the paperwork there is no great issue.

IMHO I do not understand why a person would get a letter from their embassy and then not use it in the required time frame. I usually get it the week before I use it and take it with me.

Got to love not living in BKK no lines and no waiting. longest it has taken me in 3 years is an 35 minutes and that was because i did not bring the GF and her book with me. oops

They had her scan and email a copy of the book to them.