6.9-magnitude quake hits east off Japan

webfact

6.9-magnitude quake hits east off Japan
English.news.cn

TOKYO, Sept. 4 (Xinhua) -- An earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale hit east off Japan at 9:19 a.m. local time Wednesday, with strong tremor felt in Tokyo.

The epicenter was initially detected at 29.8 degrees north latitude and 139.0 degrees east longitude near Chiba prefecture, with a depth of 400 km, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.

No tsunami warnings have been issued by the agency and nor immediate injuries and damage reported.

Meanwhile, the China Earthquake Networks Center put the magnitude of the quake at 6.7 and the U.S. Geological Survey put it at 6.5.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2013-09/04/c_132689296.htm

-- Xinhua 2013-09-04

How close is this to the crippled nuclear plant?

More than 600km. I would be more worried about the tropical storm that is going over the area.

I still find it amazing that journalist still mention Richter scales. The scientific community hasn't been using it for decades anymore for anything over 5. They use moment magnitude scale instead.

More than 600km. I would be more worried about the tropical storm that is going over the area.

I still find it amazing that journalist still mention Richter scales. The scientific community hasn't been using it for decades anymore for anything over 5. They use moment magnitude scale instead.

I would have to question your calculations. Sorry

the former Prime Minister of Japan Naoto KAN recently said that Tokyo is within a 155 mile zone from the nuclear power plant so if the earthquake occurred east of Tokyo I don't think it can be 600 km ?

So I typed in the question " What is the driving distance from Fukushima to Chiba? " And the answer is 324 km or 201.3 miles.

http://www.gomapper.com/travel/what-is-the-driving-distance-from/fukushima-fukushima-to-chiba-chiba-japan.html

anyway the bottom line is that it's near enough to have potentially caused even more damage to the plant although based on past behaviour is unlikely to be relayed to the general public even if it was something serious

Edited by midas

the former Prime Minister of Japan Naoto KAN recently said that Tokyo is within a 155 mile zone from the nuclear power plant so if the earthquake occurred east of Tokyo I don't think it can be 600 km ?

So I typed in the question " What is the driving distance from Fukushima to Chiba? " And the answer is 324 km or 201.3 miles.

http://www.gomapper.com/travel/what-is-the-driving-distance-from/fukushima-fukushima-to-chiba-chiba-japan.html

anyway the bottom line is that it's near enough to have potentially caused even more damage to the plant although based on past behaviour is unlikely to be relayed to the general public even if it was something serious

Always good to check. However, earthquake struck far of the coast. So I checked more accurately via google maps and distance to Fukushima Daiichi is just over 900km.

I agree that if anything did/does impact the situation in Fukushima adversely it will be kept under wraps. That is until the whole site starts to sink in the ground and spent fuel pools go critical. Not much hiding then anymore. Expect 50 million Japanese to start looking for a new country to live in...

• Like 1

The most important distance is how deep it occurred from the earth's surface and if the OP is correct, which is doubtful, it was 400 km below the surface and that depth could make it insignificant.

it's quite likely no ne felt t apart from the seismometers.

Not based on these reports.

Japan: Earthquake on September 4 Felt Almost 400 Miles Away in Tokyo

People reported feeling the quake on Twitter.

“Wow…. if you didn’t feel that earthquake, you must be dead,” said J. L. Gatewood in Yokohama via Twitter. “Something tells me that wasn’t centered anywhere near Tokyo.”

“I nearly puked after the 6.9sr earthquake, and now I can hear sirens,” said Elghandiva T., also on Twitter. “Good morning too, Earth.”

<snip>

Despite the remoteness of the epicenter, tremors were felt from the north of the main island of Honshu to the west. In Tokyo, buildings swayed for several moments.

More here theepochtimes

And more:

• Tokyo - Slight building shaking with hanging pictures moving
  • Camp Zama - Started very subtle then jerked and shook harder
  • Wakoshi, Saitama - Slight shaking for a short time, lamps and light fixtures started swinging.
  • Toyko - Felt strong swaying on 28th floor of cerulean Tokyo hotel
  • Yokohama - TV and shelfs were shaking for about one minute.
  • Mito - Basketball goals were rocking and shaking a lot. The floor of the gym was swaying. It wasnt hard to stand but it was noticeable .

Yokosuka - Older building, very sensitive to quake movement.

Yokota AB, Japan - Lasted about 10-15 seconds.

Mukaigawara - 12 floor building shaking

Tokyo - I live in a house in Fussa, Tokyo. We rarely feel earthquakes now that we are on the ground level. However, today's quake was fairly shaky for us.

Shijuku Tokyo - Shaking lasted about one minute, woke me up

Tokyo - I felt a very, very weak shake a few seconds before the main shaking began. Very obvious shaking. Open doors were swaying, light/electric poles outside were swaying. Not strong enough to do any damage here. (northern Tokyo, 3rd floor concrete apartment)

Higashi Kurume - Felt strong swaying in Higashi Kurume, Tokyo

Yokosuka - The bed started shaking and kept shaking for a full 30 seconds. I heard things moving around in the living room and kitchen as well.

Tokyo, Adachi-ku - It lasted many seconds

Ayase Kanagawa - Felt my bed shifting back and forth, seemed like a long quake

Yokosuka- Taura - Light to moderate shaking for about 2 minutes.

Earthquake Report