Good Restaurants On Phuket

khall64au

Having just entertained my family for 3 weeks on Phuket I found very FEW good non-Thai food restaurants serving quality food, with friendly service at a decent price. The local seafood restaurants in the south were reasonable.

I was so disapponted on many occasions with the prices compared to quality (or lack of). Even Cappanina's at Kata - which was recommended by a few on this forum was a sore disappointment. My nicoise salad was extremely ordinary at 180 baht (an expensive salad considering it was made with all local grown foods). The other dishes at the table looked ok but nothing special .

I was prepared for surly waitresses by this quote from Dive Mistress in the Indian Food thread:

"HOwever Capanina surely has staffing issues however the food is reasonably priced and is amazing. its worth the unfriendly looks from the moody waitresses who are still adapting to the learning curve of good service."

I must say, the service - if that is what it is meant to be called- is so appalling that I completely lost my appetite and I doubt I will EVER return there. How long does it take to adapt to a learning curve of good service? We were not even offered a drink by any of 4 waitresses sitting zombie-like with just 2 tables to take care of. Maybe cos the owner was nowhere to be seen at luchtime, the place is not good value in the daytime?

Just getting tired of paying high prices for ordinary food and slack service. Can anybody recommend good non-Thai food restaurants on this island?

Khall64au. Sorry for the recomendation, and that your salad was mediocre, i have never had that one.

I was just there today for lunch. I just love the spinach and eggplan (aubergine).

However I was again greeted with the look of imposing on somone who was not happy to see me.

We ordered our food and everytime we asked for something we were given dirty looks it almost seemed as though they made the effort to give the looks.

The owner did appear when my friend ordered a cafe latte and he he was needed at the coffee machine :D

We paid our bill and after much much much discussion about their attitude (yes our fault for obsessing on it, and continuing to patronize it) i asked one of hte waitresses if ther was a problem . I do know one of my friends can be a bit.. curt. I asked her if one of my friends was rude ? Or if there was a problem because her nor the other waitress ever smiled. I tried to also explain that the tip was small but could have been bigger if they were friendlier. I Think it was all lost in translation.

I did mention that my friend alwasy request her and really likes her because she is so good. She smiled then for first time and I think understood the compliment.

WE were a group of 4, 3 americans who would have been happy to tip well for good friendly service. Also we meet weekly for lunch and now no one wants to go back.

Is it so much for the owner to explain that they must be friendly to the customers. Order screw ups i can handle............

I hate to be the complaining farang demanding that Thais do things a western way but the rudeness was ..severe. At least Billy at Kanasutra was very friendly.

on a positive note............. :o I did have a great dining experience the other night in kata :D

I went to La Trattoria. Its on the curvey road heading down to Kata Beach, beach.

The waitresses were so friendly, the setting is nice, open and cozy and teh food very good. I did go with a regular but the waitress seemed to treat everyone with a friendly smile.

I also heard but have not gone myslef, a place in Patong on the Sabai Sabai close the Mcdonalds road, of a place called Maccaroni. Awful name I know but heard its better then Crapaninans.

Is that little french bakery still open on the road from Phuket town to Chalong? We haven't been for a few years but last time we were there the baked goods were wonderful and they served some luncheon special that was quite tasty. (it was next door to the second hand restaurant equipment supply store and opposite lumpoons but down a bit--if these directions make any sense at all after 2 years! :o)

Having just entertained my family for 3 weeks on Phuket I found very FEW good non-Thai food restaurants serving quality food, with friendly service at a decent price. The local seafood restaurants in the south were reasonable.

I was so disapponted on many occasions with the prices compared to quality (or lack of). Even Cappanina's at Kata - which was recommended by a few on this forum was a sore disappointment. My nicoise salad was extremely ordinary at 180 baht (an expensive salad considering it was made with all local grown foods). The other dishes at the table looked ok but nothing special .

I was prepared for surly waitresses by this quote from Dive Mistress in the Indian Food thread:

"HOwever Capanina surely has staffing issues however the food is reasonably priced and is amazing. its worth the unfriendly looks from the moody waitresses who are still adapting to the learning curve of good service."

I must say, the service - if that is what it is meant to be called- is so appalling that I completely lost my appetite and I doubt I will EVER return there. How long does it take to adapt to a learning curve of good service? We were not even offered a drink by any of 4 waitresses sitting zombie-like with just 2 tables to take care of. Maybe cos the owner was nowhere to be seen at luchtime, the place is not good value in the daytime?

Just getting tired of paying high prices for ordinary food and slack service. Can anybody recommend good non-Thai food restaurants on this island?

I just recently had the salad nicoise at Capanina and thought it quite good. You maybe the difficult to please type person who thrives on complaining about everything. Are you german per chance? (it's the germans who I hear doing the bulk of the complaining). There is no shortage of germans in Phuket! I now just laugh to myself when I hear one ranting!(which is often) I'm laughing a lot. I love it!

I just had a german approach me in makro grumbling about the elections and not being able to buy booze! Oh well!! Good for another laugh.

Perhaps someone should notify all expats that a sense of humor is required to live here!~

Sorry I digressed.

Good non thai restaurants.

Salvadores in phuket town.

The swiss delight in chalong

the green man in chalong.

jimmy's lighthouse in chalong.

The Pizza place in rawai. (super pizza and ravioli)

The islander in patong.( down to earth brit food, great steak and kidney pie)

The PS restaurant in patong.(PS steak is exemplary)

the swiss chalet in patong.(fancy expensive but worth it)

Hans & nok in patong. (cheap pepper steak in simple surroundings)

And the list goes on....

Is that little french bakery still open on the road from Phuket town to Chalong? We haven't been for a few years but last time we were there the baked goods were wonderful and they served some luncheon special that was quite tasty. (it was next door to the second hand restaurant equipment supply store and opposite lumpoons but down a bit--if these directions make any sense at all after 2 years! :o)

There are a couple of good bakeries in the area. Flints-one near the used furniture guy (2km!)

And there is a good one on the other road to Chalong from central next to the old sailmakers factory.

Sorry I digressed.

And the list goes on....

The question was : are there any restaurants with decently-priced, quality food with good service.

ps. I'm not German and I rarely complain but am getting really jack of being ripped off for mediocre food served by bitchy staff. Maybe you have no idea at all, Kasi! :D Maybe you have money to burn? Have a laugh on me see if I care!!! :o

Sorry I digressed.

And the list goes on....

The question was : are there any restaurants with decently-priced, quality food with good service.

ps. I'm not German and I rarely complain but am getting really jack of being ripped off for mediocre food served by bitchy staff. Maybe you have no idea at all, Kasi! :D Maybe you have money to burn? Have a laugh on me see if I care!!! :o

All the restaurants i listed have very good food at reasonable price. IMO!

My point is if you think capanina's is a rip-off you are probably a difficult customer who is hard to please.

I've been to capaninas twice very recently and found the place to be outstanding in terms of food and service.

So indeed I will have a laugh at your expense! :D

BTW if you don't have money to burn stick to eating from the street vendors. The food and service is also very good for the most part and the prices can't be beat. Personally I like the plastic stool ambiance! :D:D

Or I'll take it "bpai ban" to my air-conditioned condo if it's too hot out.. The stupid thai restaurant here cater to tourists and don't usually serve somtum and kao niaow which is what I like.

Edited by kasi

Khall64au. Sorry for the recomendation, and that your salad was mediocre, i have never had that one.

I was just there today for lunch. I just love the spinach and eggplan (aubergine).

However I was again greeted with the look of imposing on somone who was not happy to see me.

We ordered our food and everytime we asked for something we were given dirty looks it almost seemed as though they made the effort to give the looks.

The owner did appear when my friend ordered a cafe latte and he he was needed at the coffee machine :D

We paid our bill and after much much much discussion about their attitude (yes our fault for obsessing on it, and continuing to patronize it) i asked one of hte waitresses if ther was a problem . I do know one of my friends can be a bit.. curt. I asked her if one of my friends was rude ? Or if there was a problem because her nor the other waitress ever smiled. I tried to also explain that the tip was small but could have been bigger if they were friendlier. I Think it was all lost in translation.

I did mention that my friend alwasy request her and really likes her because she is so good. She smiled then for first time and I think understood the compliment.

WE were a group of 4, 3 americans who would have been happy to tip well for good friendly service. Also we meet weekly for lunch and now no one wants to go back.

Is it so much for the owner to explain that they must be friendly to the customers. Order screw ups i can handle............

I hate to be the complaining farang demanding that Thais do things a western way but the rudeness was ..severe. At least Billy at Kanasutra was very friendly.

on a positive note............. :D I did have a great dining experience the other night in kata :D

I went to La Trattoria. Its on the curvey road heading down to Kata Beach, beach.

The waitresses were so friendly, the setting is nice, open and cozy and teh food very good. I did go with a regular but the waitress seemed to treat everyone with a friendly smile.

I also heard but have not gone myslef, a place in Patong on the Sabai Sabai close the Mcdonalds road, of a place called Maccaroni. Awful name I know but heard its better then Crapaninans.

I'll have to try out your new recommendations - thanks Dive Mistress :D Since I already gave Cappanina about 4 goes and no improvement on attitude I'd rather taste good food with a nice smile.

We can leave Kasi to enjoy 'Crapaninans' on his own (see above thread) :o

tanks for everiting , but hi don no , you living in bangkok?

:o hif you living in phuket and working in phuket you understent y. if you ungree for the price hi understen you not goo in market no 1 time in you life. the salad hi server in my restaurant now cost 120 bath for kg and 1 kg if you clean the salad is 2 salad . and the cost for rent an d for elettric is very espensiv now hi paid 7.5 bath for unit. if you ungree for the waitrees ,olso hi and ungree every day. but the quality of staff in phuket is vary low and if you have 1 or 10 staff good can you send to mee, hi very happy. and sorry for you latte and hi make for you way today the staff" kikiat "pigro

and can not make a latte for you .

sam time hi like have a friand for spike everityng , for speke to my wot is better , but you not spike to my for a problem ,you spike a forum . vary sorry for you inconvenient and many time hi try to make a smile mystaff. tanks for lissen my and hi like to see you next time.by mario

:o hif you living in phuket and working in phuket you understent y. if you ungree for the price hi understen you not goo in market no 1 time in you life. the salad hi server in my restaurant now cost 120 bath for kg and 1 kg if you clean the salad is 2 salad . and the cost for rent an d for elettric is very espensiv now hi paid 7.5 bath for unit. if you ungree for the waitrees ,olso hi and ungree every day. but the quality of staff in phuket is vary low and if you have 1 or 10 staff good can you send to mee, hi very happy. and sorry for you latte and hi make for you way today the staff" kikiat "pigro

sam time hi like have a friand for spike everityng , for speke to my wot is better , but you not spike to my for a problem ,you spike a forum . vary sorry for you inconvenient and many time hi try to make a smile mystaff. tanks for lissen my and hi like to see you next time.by mario

Hi Mario,

No offence but could you please repeat that? Seriously, your staff have bad attitude problems. Did you say they are high and angry every day? Why is that? Your customers should not have to put up with their terrible moods. Also, a salad is not expensive to prepare but I don't mind a high price if your cook remembers to include a nice dressing which he did not. My plain nicoise salad had NO dressing. I would comment to a supervisor of my complaints if it were obvious there was one but the restaurant was only full of lazy, bored, nasty waitresses. I would like to say nice things about your place because some of the food was very good on past occasions but never, ever good service. All my friends say the same thing - I am sorry! But I wish you the best and hope you overcome your staff problems. :D

And not to single out Cappanina, the Pizza/ pasta place in Rawai also has staff/ owner/ customer relations attitude problems. Maybe there is a need for competition? (which is always a good thing!)

Meanwhile, I eat out less and less these days - for what I say?!! Why pay premium prices for unpleasant dining experiences? :o

Mario! First of all I think you must be one of the harderst working farangs in Phuket and I see you kitchen every time I have been there. YOur food is amazing. The Feta is generous in teh greek salad, there is real olive oil, balsamic viniger and paremesan cheese. YOu stay open late late and never ask anyone to leave.

I understand it is hard to find good staff. However they are food servers and they should know they work in a service industry dealing with hungry farangs. Maybe they should work at Boktor instead, or Mama Nois or some place where no one expects common politeness.

What amazes me is that they havnt figured out that if they would just have a decent attitude, mabye say thank you when they collect the money, not give dirty looks when we ask for a sugar they would make so much more money in tips. Many times when it comes to paying the bill over the few years I have been going there we say LEave a SMALL tip the service was bad. They had the option to make much more. I have been a waitress I know its is exhausting.

But No one wants a bad attitude with a terrific meal. For sure now I will be on the lookout for good waitresses and send them to you! Im sure it must have a good potential to make decent tips!

I dont expect the impossible. It is not like we ask the waitresses to to list all the ingredients or memeorize specials! The food servers in Nepal were better then in Phuket.

Unfortanetly for me I am hopelessly addicted to the buttered spinach and will tolerate the uncomfortable feeling in your beautiful restaraunt just to have some. Maybe I will start getting take away better.

And for Kasi obviously your choice in good places to eat are those catering to the heavy meat eater!!! How about places that have more vegetarian options?

- Coffee Pot in Kata

- Best pizza in Happy Days (Chalong, next to Fish N Chips)

- Food for Thought (thanks Wolfie) in Chalong

- The Family (Mediterranian food)

- Banana Corner in Nai Harn next to Mimmi's (ok-ish)

- Fatty's near the Chalong gym (ok-ish)

Been on the fine dining binge and am currently raving about:

- Chao Khun in Nai Harn (opp. Mimmi's)

- Lor'feo in Nai Harn

- The new Naka Flavours/ The Wall in Patong (forgot where it is - walked in pretty gassed)

- Rock Fish in Kamala

Capannina was ok. Their pizzas looked wicked though (I had a pasta which was nice enough, not phenomenal).

For a nice vegetarian meal try the "chalong plate" at the Family restaurant in Chalong. Pizzas are good there too.

I've heard about a ""natural" restaurant" in Phuket town that's supposed to be good. Been meaning to try it.

For good thai try the "red onion" in Karon.

As for the dressing on the salad nicoise at capaninas' they had beautiful olive oil and balsamic vinegar. What more could you want??? Kraft thousand island??

I would eat there more often except it a bit out of the way for me.

I found Chao Khun next to Mimmi's to be only fair value for money. The service was exceptional though. We recently went to L'Orfeo and found that to be really nice. The food was reasonably priced but the wine put some weight on the bill.

I have always found the pizza place in Rawai to be good and never had a problem with service there. They are so busy all the time that the owners no longer have the time to come over and chat like they used to.

The Natural restaurant in Phuket Town is fantastic but it is all Thai food. I highly reccommend it.

I have heard that The Terrace, near to Oasis on the road to Naiharn beach is good and prices reasonable but I have never eaten there myself so cannot confirm.

The fact is, that restaurants that serve western food will always be pricey simply because many of the ingredients are imported and expensive.

Good luck with your search and post and let us know if you find any new gems.

:D hif you living in phuket and working in phuket you understent y. if you ungree for the price hi understen you not goo in market no 1 time in you life. the salad hi server in my restaurant now cost 120 bath for kg and 1 kg if you clean the salad is 2 salad . and the cost for rent an d for elettric is very espensiv now hi paid 7.5 bath for unit. if you ungree for the waitrees ,olso hi and ungree every day. but the quality of staff in phuket is vary low and if you have 1 or 10 staff good can you send to mee, hi very happy. and sorry for you latte and hi make for you way today the staff" kikiat "pigro

I am VERY GLAD there are other restaurant owners who also have similar problems.

DIVE Misstress you should have come to me not put it out on the "Public Forum".

What you choose to do shows what kind of a person you are.

Someone did not have a good time at one of 'your' restaurants :D

I suggest you get a life, considering that you are in the Dive industry..... :o

Don't worry Capannina there will always be some one who complains and we are NOT in the bizz

of making ALL people happy.

There are a couple of reasonable restaurants on the road leading up to Laguna (after 'Giant' supermarket), but they're nothing special. In Bang Tao (on the way to the beach from the Muslim village) there is a Swiss hotel with a nice restaurant attached.

Possibly the best I've been to is 'Silk' which is on the road from BangTao to Surin on the left. Cheap it ain't, but a really nice menu with cracking service. I use it for special occasions.

For a really nice, middle of the road meal try The Black Cat in Cherngtalay. It has a good European and Thai menu and is sensibly priced. I use it often and it is a really good place - you get many Thais and ex-pats using it.

In my quest for a good salad... just returned from Friendship Beach at Chalong - on the Rawai rd- and had an excellent Norwegian salmon salad, a very nice grilled fillet of pink salmon on fresh garden greens with a homemade and subtle dressing for 170 bt - that's good value! Also, many of the dishes I have tried there lately (Thai and international) are delicious and very reasonably priced.

Fabulous waterfront location with island views and free use of the swimming pool too :o

...Possibly the best I've been to is 'Silk' which is on the road from BangTao to Surin on the left. Cheap it ain't, but a really nice menu with cracking service. I use it for special occasions....

Good choice, Sadman. Silk is lovely: it has a gorgeous modernist ambience comparable to any modern restaurant in the West. Owned by an HK businessman who understands style. I'd say the food is relatively great for Phuket, and OK in absolute terms, so long as one chooses wisely. Cocktails are some of the best in Phuket, so long as you are nice to the barman!

While you're down that way, there's a place called 'Farang' on the LHS of the road going from Cherng Thalee towards the monument. Don't be put off by the fact it looks like a tin shack. Freshly prepared Western dishes - spaghetti, lasagne, steaks, home-made cheesecakes - are excellent, and cheap too. Nice, smiley staff. I use it for lunch, but believe it is now open at suppertime as well. No aircon so can be hot.

Again for breakfast or lunch, try 'Paula's Retro cafe' on the Surin beach road, just along from Twin Palms hotel. It's a small place with a few tables outside and an aircon section within. Paula prepares all her own food daily and makes a selection of home made breads, scones, and an industrial-strength New York cheescake which is dangerously impossible to resist. The staff are very friendly and well-trained.

Also try the 'Lady Pie' place (weird name, weird logo) next to Farang. The Aussie owner makes her own Australian pies, served with mashed potato and/or peas and salad. Try the apple pie with ice cream - delicious! Again a small place with a few lunch tables outside. The staff are friendly and quite efficient, but as is so often the case, better when the owner is present.

Twin Palms itself should need no introduction. Famous for their Sunday brunches, THB 990++ per head including a half bottle of house wine.

Oh dear, all this talking about food, I need to go to for an early lunch now :o

Also try the 'Lady Pie' place (weird name, weird logo) next to Farang. The Aussie owner makes her own Australian pies, served with mashed potato and/or peas and salad.

Best Aussie meat pies on the island. The secret is her flakey pastry.