Railway Station Neighborhood

HarmonicaNomad

Hello,

I've been in Chiang Mai for over a year but I'm not familiar at all with the neighborhood around the Railway Station. I decided to stay another year and saw some very nice, newer studios for rent there, very cheap. But not sure why so I figure it might potentially be a bad area of Chiang Mai.

I've been around there before but basically just driving around or for catching a train.

Anybody with experience living there or experience with the area?

Thanks!

PP condo is surrounded by dangerous sois, but if you just get a million thb truck to go with your 3000 thb rent; then you will be fine. I was looking at buying a unit in there for 200K a while back..if in fact that is where you were considering. Dog dung is only a problem, when it doesn't rain for more than a day or two.

>>and saw some very nice, newer studios for rent there, very cheap. But not sure why<<

LOL,now you inform us that its PP Condo .Thats exactly why its so cheap .What a grim looking building and immediate surroundings .

• Like 1

The studios seems very nice so I might still consider it for 3-6 months.

But another important question is: Is the area safe?

I never felt unsafe in CM and I lived in many different areas. Any different there?

House breakins happen even in the best areas of Chiang mai .That would be my main concern about living in PP . Do they have any form of security ? i would be asking .

555555. I'm staying in the Santitham area, and while it's more of the no sidewalk, narrow street stuff; it is actually quite nice. Heard other posters say it was gay area.....not too sure about that, but I did see about 50 young ladies, who were 8s or above on my 10 minute walk to Tesco Express. Better vibe than East side.

• Like 1

I cycled around PP a couple of days ago and dont know why anyone would be nervous there-or of the sois around. No sign of dog dumps either!!!

I believe a lot of the condos have been refurbished and quite a few farang live there now. There is a Muay Thai gym there and as for security, I see more doors with added padlocks in 'smart' (ie expensive) city condos than I saw at PP! Convenient for the City and Superhighway and very cheap rents. Seems as though OP has a car so no reason why PP or around there wouldnt make a good base.

but people from CM on here say it is the best place in Thailand, I am getting confused now as to who to believe..crazy.gif

People who are taking it up ,must have a vested interest in the place .It seems an ok area by day but i would not care to be walking around there at night .

Hey Geezer2, where did you read anyone say it is the best place in Thailand??!!

Agree with Anto- I wouldnt want to walk those soi's at night but isnt that true of many moree classy areas of cm?

All I would say it that it seems reasonably safe to me and if OP wants a renovated apartment for a cheap price, PP looks ok. If he wants to pay 3 times the cost to live near Nimman that's his choice I guess

Around the trainstation like in a lot of other cities around the globe is not the best area to live.

That's also true for Chiang mai.

There are way better and also affortable area's in CM, like Sathikam or Faham or Nong Hoy.

Goodluck.

Yes in my experience it seems the areas around train and bus stations tend to be more run down and seedy than other areas of most cities in the world that I have visited including my home city in Canada.There is no denying the price is right in this area of Chiang mai if that being your top priority I'm sure it's fine.