'Easy Pass' toll card does not let some drivers pass easily

webfact

'Easy Pass' toll card does not let some drivers pass easily
By Coconuts Bangkok

easypass.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Since the implementation of the toll increase on Sept. 1, many Easy Pass card users have reported that their cards fail to let them pass the automatic barrier gates stationed at tolls.

On Monday the bug exacerbated morning traffic yet again with many drivers complaining of frustrating delays.

Some netizens have reported that the baht value of their cards shown at the toll booth is too low and incorrect. In some cases, the gate hasn't even opened at all and drivers said they had to switch to another toll booth, infuriating the drivers behind them.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/09/04/easy-pass-toll-card-does-not-let-some-drivers-pass-easily

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-04

This can be due to the reflective/dark films on the windscreens that are so popular here, or putting the RFID box in the wrong location.

What some people don't realise is that it's not the 'card' that toll booths read, but the little black box that is meant to be stuck on the windscreen. The card is just for topping up at 7/11s etc.

or you pay manually and the lane next you charges your tag anyways..

or the booth operators thinks they can randomly mouth off when questioned about being double charged.

or the police think they can operate an illegal check point..

or the toll both operator thinks they can short change you..

I pay these people with my large collection of 1 baht coins.

(Dont forget the idiot who thinks hes a sniper that try's taking a photo of your car)

• Like 1

Would have liked to have seen a little bit more detail about the balances dropping. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but my balance dropped by around 500 THB between 5 pm Friday and the first trip through the tolls on Monday. Not sure how to determine or prove what happened. Topped up Tuesday and only took 15 minutes to show on the tag, but tag did not register at a couple of different booths after that, causing the embarrassing "back up and move to the cash lane" situation. Ah well...if that's the biggest worry I have at the moment I'm doing okay. thumbsup.gif

It was chaotic on Monday morning ! I 'lost' 300+ Baht off my tag from Saturday and only had 5 Baht left on my account, so I had to do the reversing trick for the first time.

As I was doing so I could see many more than usual getting rejected by the barrier, so I expect others had the same problem.

Would like to know if I will be getting that disappearing credit back- somehow I doubt it !

I have the opposite problem (if you want to call it that). For several weeks last month, the Easy Pass was not deducting any money from my account at all! It kept displaying the same figure on the screen. I checked online, and I saw my balance hadn't gone down. No complaints here. I hope these flaws stay for many moons to come in my case!

• Like 2

It was chaotic on Monday morning ! I 'lost' 300+ Baht off my tag from Saturday and only had 5 Baht left on my account, so I had to do the reversing trick for the first time.

As I was doing so I could see many more than usual getting rejected by the barrier, so I expect others had the same problem.

Would like to know if I will be getting that disappearing credit back- somehow I doubt it !

Sounds like the computer who charge when passing has a virus, wouldn't surprise me if a hacker is behind it.

If you think they give any credit back in Thailand your living in a fantasy. (LOS, Land Of Scam)

EXAT confident in fixing Easy Pass problems within two weeks

BANGKOK, 5th September 2013 (NNT) – The Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT) has addressed its recent problems concerning the EASY PASS system, claiming that it will be solved within two weeks' time.

Numerous complaints have been received that the automatic system has been deducting wrong amounts of money from the cards, or that it has failed to display the remaining cash balance on the card correctly, causing inconvenience and confusion to users.

According to Mr.Aiyanut Tinapai , Governor of EXAT, the agency has been working to improve the system and that it is closing close all top-up lanes every night from 22.00-04.00 until September 30th; so that the EXAT may examine the central database system for automatic Easy Pass usage.

In addition, the EXAT will send daily sms messages informing cardholders of their credit balances. They can also check it online via www.thaieasypass.com, through the call center at 1543, or at any Express Way office building. The agency will improve the system to be able to accommodate up to 1 million vehicles per day, up from the 600,000 already using the Easy Pass system.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-05 footer_n.gif

Have been using if for 5 years now and it works well 95% of the time. Always laugh my ass of when I pass those long rows of cars waiting in the cash lane. When I am home and well they are probably still waiting.... LOL.

(Rather wait in line than lose face having to back up when there is a problem. I guess??? cheesy.gif )

• Like 1

I had a problem ONE time since i got it. Had it since the beginning. But I have that thing glued to my windshield, like you are supposed to. I see people holding them up, probably too late. Its because they want to use it in more than one car.. The chip itself should be free.

Edited by mortenaa

This can be due to the reflective/dark films on the windscreens that are so popular here, or putting the RFID box in the wrong location.

What some people don't realise is that it's not the 'card' that toll booths read, but the little black box that is meant to be stuck on the windscreen. The card is just for topping up at 7/11s etc.

even it's confusing, but where can I get the equipment (transponder, card aso)?

even it's confusing, but where can I get the equipment (transponder, card aso)?

You can get one at any of the buildings located next to a toll booth. For most of them, you need to actually enter the expressway system. I didn't want to use the expressway when I bought mine, so I parked outside and walked in. The first one was unable to do it because they claimed their printer was broken (Sukhumvit Soi 62 Entrance), but I suspect they were just being lazy. The second one did it in about 10 minutes. This was in Klong Toey at the entrance on At Narong Road near the entrance to "The Locks" or "The Klong Toei Slums".

It cost me 1,000 baht to get. There was no deposit. I simply had to load 1,000 baht in credit to receive the box and card. I don't know how they ensure you return the box. They said they will return any unused credit when you return it. There is no longer a deposit making the box free to obtain.