can a Thai pre paid phone card, be used outside Thailand?

fakename

Wouldn't advise it... As in the US they charge for both receiving and making calls.

Also the international roaming charge are crazy... You could fill it up with 1000 thb and it would be gone in a snap..

Would recommend getting a US temp sim ... Something like the below. You can order 7 days sim and the. Use that while in the US

http://www.readysim.com/

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thanks, but it looks like the coverage isnt quite what I need. I know the roaming charges are crazy, they ate up my european card very quickly. If my Thai card works, then will just have to use it, until I can get a card there, but its not as easy as going to 7/11, they like to make things difficult.

Thanks, but it looks like the coverage isnt quite what I need. I know the roaming charges are crazy, they ate up my european card very quickly. If my Thai card works, then will just have to use it, until I can get a card there, but its not as easy as going to 7/11, they like to make things difficult.

I turned on my DTac sim in Singapore and the calling rates were only 59 baht per minute.

You have to have your Thai carrier activate Roaming.

I think you have to put in a prepaid amount to activate it if you're on a prepaid plan.

If you have the SIM registered via a monthly postpaid plan, then you pay the bill the next month you return.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

It's not quite as easy as going into the 7-Eleven in Thailand, but most 7-Eleven's, Target's, Walmart,'s drugstores like CVS and Rite Aid will all sell telephones with numbers already established for around $20-$30 and then you buy prepaid time cards for 30 minutes to x number of hours and you're good to go.

I have a True intersim and a dtac happy sim and both of those work overseas. The True one has never failed to receive an sms whilst I was overseas. I went into one of their offices and told them to make sure global roaming was on.

With the Dtac sim it was automatically on global roaming. Both are pre paid sims.

I have a True intersim and a dtac happy sim and both of those work overseas. The True one has never failed to receive an sms whilst I was overseas. I went into one of their offices and told them to make sure global roaming was on.

With the Dtac sim it was automatically on global roaming. Both are pre paid sims.

My experience too with both. Have not tried in the US but if you have a quadband phone should be OK.

I have post paid through AIS and have used in many countries while traveling

Although for prepaid, understand you will need to go into your providers shop and advise TeM you want international roaming turned on

If you have smart phone just make sure you turn off our data before leaving Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

A couple of trips ago I left my AIS 12call prepaid sim in and turned the phone on in Sydney.

Everything seemed to be working (Optus and 12call are the same company, Singapore owned)

Didn't test it, Turned it off quick, but had reception OK.

aussiep......

In UK it'll depend on what coverage you have. Dtac didn't work where I was (in Scotland) but AIS did.

In Spain it was a similar story, but by chance Dtac worked and AIS didn't.

I think this all comes down to the Thai carrier's contracts with the carriers in foreign lands. That information might even be listed somewhere in their website.

Receiving SMS on a Thai number in foreign lands is free, sending costs depending on the carrier.

The Thai carrier usually sends you quite a good explanatory SMS when you first switch on in a foreign land, telling you the rates etc. I save that SMS as reference.