Have I Incorrect Advice?

I have finally retired from the rat race and arrive in Thailand in June to live out my days in the sun. I qualify for a "over 50" and also a marriage visa. The money of either 400k or 800k is not an issue.

When I spoke to the Thai embassy in Aust, I was informed that they would issue me a 12 month "O" multiple entry visa.

After reading a lot of the threads here, I was under the impression that you are only issued a 3 month visa, and then you get a 12month extension.

Can my embassy here give me a 12 month visa, or do I still have to get an extension after 3 months?

Since I will also be shipping in some personal effects, it looks like I should apply for the "marriage Visa" so that I can avoid customs duty, or can I ship the stuff over in my wife's name?

Any advise as always is welcome

1. You can not import duty free without a work permit.

2. Your wife can only import if she have been living overseas for the required time.

3. Embassy can issue a multi entry non immigrant O-A for retirement. When you enter country you receive a 1 year permitted to stay stamp.

Don't confuse the two non immigrant visas issued at embassies...

Regular 1 year, multiple entry Non immigrant O, which allows you to freely enter and leave Thailand for one year, but any stay cannot be more then 90 days. (meaning a visa run to a bordering country every 90 days)

When you enter on this visa however, you can get it extended to 12 months (counting from the first day of entry) for both retirement or marriage reasons at an immigration office...

Retirement is the easiest, only 800.000 Baht to show, while with marriage only 400.000 Baht, but other requirements such as proof of living together with your wife, statements from neighbours etc are needed

Retirement non immigrant O-A With this visa you simply enter Thailand and can stay for 1 year (think even longer periods are possible). Your local Thai consulate or embassy will verify all necesary proof like income/financial status, a statement of the police you're not a criminal etc...

1. You can not import duty free without a work permit.

2. Your wife can only import if she have been living overseas for the required time.

3. Embassy can issue a multi entry non immigrant O-A for retirement. When you enter country you receive a 1 year permitted to stay stamp.

I don't know if the rules have been changed since I came here 3 1/2 years ago but before leaving the UK I shipped a box ( approx 1 1/2 cubic metres ) containing personal items, in my Thai wifes name. We used her sisters address in Bangkok as her forwarding address because at that time we did not have a permanent home. In fact we were living in hotels for 6 weeks after arriving. We left the UK at about the same time as the box. This arrived about a month after despatch and notification of arrival was delivered to my sister-in-laws house. We phoned the customs in Bangkok and asked if they could store the box until we were able to pick it up ( about 4 weeks ) After we had moved into our new home in Jan. we went to Customs in Bangkok with the paperwork. It took 6 long hours of being sent from one office to the next to stamp this and sign that but eventually got to take the box with us. We paid NO fees to customs. At the time of shipping and arrival I had only a 6 month tourist visa, my wife had lived in UK for about 3 years.