Do you think you would ever fit in back "home" if you returned?

smooth expat

Don't get me wrong; I am and always will be a loyal subject of the Realm. Britain is home but money, material possessions and a nanny state bending over backwards to hold someone accountable if you so much as stub your toe don't compare to the quality of life that anyone with a means of generating income and a modicum of self control and common sense can have in Thailand.

+ Good Health and a solid health insurance..

Otherwise its back on big silver bird to that Nanny State.

Yeah the health insurance would come under common sense

Perhaps, but 'Good Health' does not, and its when ill health sets in that we see the 'arrogance of the self made man needing nothing from the nanny state' disappear as he gets on the big silver bird to be looked after by Nanny.

• Like 1

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong; I am and always will be a loyal subject of the Realm. Britain is home but money, material possessions and a nanny state bending over backwards to hold someone accountable if you so much as stub your toe don't compare to the quality of life that anyone with a means of generating income and a modicum of self control and common sense can have in Thailand.

My health care is free in the US. I stayed in Thailand for health care treatment because I think it is better. There are many people from the Middle East for whom money is no object who agree with me.

I simply would have a hard time fitting in with the health care system back home. The appointments, excessive waiting times and in general surly attitude of the doctors and nurses that I don't find in Thailand has made it difficult for me to fit in back home.

In Thailand my hospital room has a fridge and couch and facilities for my family to stay with me overnight as long as they want. There is no such thing as visiting hours as my family is also staying in my room. This is not the case in the West. A big part of health care is mental and I draw strength and feel better when my family is present during emergencies.

Edited by historyprof

My health care is free in the US. I stayed in Thailand for health care treatment because I think it is better. There are many people from the Middle East for whom money is no object who agree with me.

I simply would have a hard time fitting in with the health care system back home. The appointments, excessive waiting times and in general surly attitude of the doctors and nurses that I don't find in Thailand has made it difficult for me to fit in back home.

In Thailand my hospital room has a fridge and couch and facilities for my family to stay with me overnight as long as they want. There is no such thing as visiting hours as my family is also staying in my room. This is not the case in the West. A big part of health care is mental and I draw strength and feel better when my family is present during emergencies.

Thank you, you've just confirmed the point - you get free healthcare back home you pay for it here.

Remember that if you ever run out of money for health care.

Been there, done that.

I went back to Aus after living here for 9 years to study. I stayed there three years and returned here to Thailand in early march. I can 'fit in' just about anywhere as I am reasonable, open minded person...and with patience to boot! I did find it a chore to be back there though and I did not even try to make any new real friends. I think living here does change you a lot. You wont see it going back for a two week holiday, but go for an extended period and you will notice it. Three years was my sentence. I served it like a man...and came back here at the first possible opportunity.

I can relate 3 years would be a sentence for me. I have not been back in two years. I had been going yearly for a month and that was about as long as I could fit in. Every body had there same hurry hurry rush rush life. The same as when I left.

I sensed that they did not even want to hear about my life over here. The last two times I went back I had reason to stay and extra two weeks. That was definatly two weeks to long.

They say travel broadens the mind well living in another country with a different culture deepens the experience it is no longer a mental note it is a part of your life. This of course does not really include the sexpats or the ones who are here because their company made them come. All though some of the latter may change.

Edit

Should mention I have brothers and sisters in Seattle and across the border in Vancouver an ex wife who is my best friend three sons and four granddaughters.

I also have three friends spread all over B C now who I keep in touch with two of them I have known since the late 60s. Interestingly enough I was talking to one on the phone the other day and he much like me has decided to let most of the old friends go.

Edited by hellodolly

Yeah the health insurance would come under common sense

Perhaps, but 'Good Health' does not, and its when ill health sets in that we see the 'arrogance of the self made man needing nothing from the nanny state' disappear as he gets on the big silver bird to be looked after by Nanny.

Well, if we're arguing semantics then actually yes it does.

Sensible eating, moderate drinking, lots of exercise yadda-yadda.

I've fallen ill a number of times here and I haven't run back to St. Mary's in Paddington with my cap out - not because I'm loaded but because . . .

I have insurance

I don't know to be honest.

Do you think I, a man who has never met you, should be allowed to say the women you were with last night were forced to perform for you? Do you think that is fair or is that defamation?

I think some people just like arguing for the sake of it. Normally, when I disagree with what someone says, I put forward an alternative view.

EDIT:

Or sometimes I just let it pass. I can't recall having seen anyone change their opinion on the internet, so generally, I let the laughably erroneous slip by, unless I worry that it might dangerously encourage similar foolishness

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Is this thread actually about whether you'd fit in at home if you returned? From reading, I wonder if some people would fit in anywhere. coffee1.gif

There's a place for everyone. For some, it's at the bar, for others, behind bars. Personally, I've never been a barrister or a publican.

The important thing, from a recruitment point of view, is to get the donkeys into the right jobs, and to hold on to the tigers.

SC

Meanwhile, getting back to the OP's question, yes I understand what it is that would hamper you fitting back in if you had to go back home.

What percent of Englishmen have posted in this thread that they liked England far better than Thailand and would fit right in back home? Since you are the stat expert.

What percent of Englishmen have posted in this thread that they liked England far better than Thailand and would fit right in back home? Since you are the stat expert.

Why does that bother you?

As I said right up near the beginning of this thread there is nothing about being able to enjoy a good life elswhere which precludes being able to enjoy a good life in Thailand.

Not even for the English around here.

Edited by GuestHouse

Do you "fit in" here?

I believe I've fitted in very well in Thailand and I have over the years very much enjoyed my time there, many happy memories and many dear friends in Thailand who I plan to visit in the future.

But with respect to the OP's question.

Absolutely I think I would fit in - I've just spent a month back home in the UK - I had a wonderful time and not once did I feel the place rubbing me or making me wish I was not there.

I'd list all the good things about being home, but doing so upsets some members who are of the mind that we can't express any good sentiments about anywhere other than Thailand without by doing so be taking part in slagging Thailand off.

A good life in Thailand and a good life back home are not mutually exclusive.

I would wager that the vast majority of posters who ramble on about the West equating to nanny states, fat 50 year old women, rampant immigration and high taxes lived in some god forsaken industrial town on 40,000 pounds a year. If you have money the UK is a very nice place to live. For the same amount as an overpriced badly constructed Bangkok condo you can have a nice house with beautiful countryside on your doorstep, a BMW for the same price you would pay for a crapanese car in Thailand, excellent restaurants, proper farmers markets that dont sell pesticide laden leaves and proper butchers. If you did well back home and had a well paying job I cant for the life of me think why you would want to give that up to live in the outskirts of Naknon No-nose, or not be able to fit in back home when you see Thailand for what it really is.

I live in Thailand because I love the Thai people. Thai food and the weather and I can have servants. I have plenty of money and can afford to live well in England . I prefer the Thais to the British any day. As for good restaurants what a joke compared to Bangkok. The only good resaurants in the UK are non-British.

Why does that bother you?

As I said right up near the beginning of this thread there is nothing about being able to enjoy a good life elswhere which precludes being able to enjoy a good life in Thailand.

Not even for the English around here.

I just wondered if you would go through 13 pages to find a statistic I wanted like you wanted me to go through 200 pages to find a statistic you wanted. I didn't think you would go through only 13 pages but don't expect me to go through the 150 or 200 of that report for you. You are welcomesmile.png

I suppose one big difference is that you claimed your statistic was obtained from that reference. GH never claimed that this thread indicated the percentage of Englishmen who preferred the UK to Thailand.

SC

You've told us the report supports your claim of 99% v 1% so you presumably can provide the supporting data - except there is non.

You made it up to support your own point of view.

As an engineer I understand the numbers as a Historyprof you should understand verification of source data.

You either don't or you don't think source data matters.

I'll skip your classes if you don't mind.

Edited by GuestHouse

Do you think you could ever form an anonymous part of a silent, sullen proletarian mob?

Or could you be the catalyst that sparks the revolution?
An inmate in a long-term institution?

Or recognised for outstanding contribution?

Or could you ever impersonate Sophia Loren?

What a waist!

Most farang do not really like Thailand that much they just like the cost of living. If the single moms back home in the West were not obese and were not getting a million and half baht a year from their respective governments in benefits, I am guessing TV users would be a lot happier back home.

• Like 1

Summed it up perfectly. Thailand seems to be a haven for mongers like our friend here who not only have authority over children, but prefer the sound of their own voice over classroom debate. Not to mention they lie to their wives about their filthy exploits with impoverished women. If he's capable of lying to his wife so easily about his filthy deeds he is more than capable of lying on this forum. He's probably not even a teacher. Certainly doesn't come across as being intelligent enough to be one, well not one that would teach in a decent Western school.

How many "decent" English schools are there in Thailand? 4? Maybe 5 or 6? Just know that assuming you are not a monger and are a much higher class of farang, this guy is still going to be spending 8 hours a day with your kids. Hmmm.... time to think about relocating back home, huh?

After 30 years here, I was going to say "NO" to the subject of the OP. However, after seeing all this bitching and biting and off topic nonsense from people who live here, perhaps it would be worth a try.

• Like 1

The envy effect of fitting in back home. Lets face it even a small Thai town makes most places in the West look like a sexual wasteland a "Death Valley of Pleasure" so to speak. Even in my little town in Thailand the mall is a veritable smörgåsbord of female delight.

When the unfortunate ex pat goes back home in order to cope with his feelings of envy for his luckier male brethren living in Thailand he assumes a Puritan attitude that is more in keeping with a witch burning in Salem than a BBQ in the modern world. Some guys have the same thing happen when they get married in Thailand. Pity but normal and by reading Thai Visa easily verified.

When was the last time a friend referred having a beer at a go go as, "hey mate, lets do some filthy deeds on Soi Buakhow!"

• Like 1

From a small town just outside of Melbourne, leaving school at 15 saw me one year later, at 16, embark on my first of many comprehensive SE and Far East Asian Tours.

Upon my return, I chose to look up my former High School and Teachers. I knew then that my life had changed irrevocably. I was never going to be the same again. And niether were they. I had been bitten very early at a very impressionable age.

Pretty much why I am here today. Enjoying the low cost of living in th LOS is merely a bonus.

HP, you frequently attribute emotions of 'envy' to people who post on TV but who are not living in Thailand.

Not just in this thread but in responses you make across other threads here on the TVF.

I'm not sure on what basis you come to this conclusion, though I note it is an accusation you make when trashing the views of people who have different opinions to your own.

Keeping to the topic of discussion, you've told us in colourful detail why you don't think you would fit in back home.

I suspect your inability to accept people can live outside of Thailand without being eaten with envy comes from your own understanding of how you yourself would feel come the day you have to leave.

Take comfort NP, there is meaningful and happy life outside of Thailand. You only need to know how to live it.

Edited by GuestHouse

Yes, I have no problem "fitting in" when I return to the USA for a visit. I first came to Thailand in 1967 and have lived overseas, mostly here, ever since but I always look forward to our trips back to the USA for a visit as I still have family and friends there. I think most of those who don't like to go back to where they are from is because they have nothing to go back to.

HP, you frequently attribute emotions of 'envy' to people who post on TV but who are not living in Thailand.

Not just in this thread but in responses you make across other threads here on the TVF.

I'm not sure on what basis you come to this conclusion, though I note it is an accusation you make when trashing the views of people who have different opinions to your own.

Keeping to the topic of discussion, you've told us in colourful detail why you don't think you would fit in back home.

I suspect your inability to accept people can live outside of Thailand without being eaten with envy comes from your own understanding of how you yourself would feel come the day you have to leave.

Take comfort NP, there is meaningful and happy life outside of Thailand. You only need to know how to live it.

I could be wrong but I think you are commenting on my feeling that people who comment on Thailand and give advice on Thailand who have never been to Thailand is rather much. Indeed there are a number of people who comment on Thai politics (very complicated issues actually) who have never lived here. There are people who comment on rice storage who have never seen a silo.

I'm all in favor of education but experience is necessary for many things. You can go to cooking school but cooking for 1000 people on a cruise ship rocking up and down in the ocean is a learned skill.

You can talk to girls in a bar but until you live with a bunch of bar girls you won't know much about them. You may think you know Thailand but until you speak Thai you won't have a clue.

So when I say I won't fit in back home it is because I do fit in here. My life is here by choice. I could go back home but I came here; I moved here because I didn't like life at home.

For a lot of people on this forum it is a big insult to call someone Thai. Not so for me.

Sorry guys for bringing this back on topic but I didnot fit in back in my home country when I was there why would it be any different now. I lived my life as living good is the best revenge.All that did was make people jealous and dislike me becuase of that and what I had and what I owned and how I spent my time. The angrier I got the better I would live (travel,race boats,buy cars new house etc). But I was never happy just living good and lonely. In thailand I learned from my wife happiness in life is the most important and that is what living good really is about. No I couldnot return home and fit in now for sure everyone would think I lost the plot for sure.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.