Barium Enema verses Colonoscopy

Issangeorge

I have had bowel problems and was in the hospital because of another problem. The doctor sugested I have a procedure to check my colon. I thought he meant a coloscopy, and I readily agreed, since I've been wanting one since I turned 55 (I am now 62). I was taken to another hospital in an ambulance with my wife and a pretty nurse. Now I am at this hospital and it turns out it was a barium enema I was having. Folks if anybody suggests that you have one, run, run as fast as you can and as far as you can, I am sure it was developed as a torture technique and then adapted for medicine. I can not see any reason for one in the days of colonoscopy, other than, perhaps for cost. Mine cost ฿2,800. The good thing is I am clear and don't need another for two years, but you can be sure it will be a colonoscopy.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From what I understand the accuracy rate for detecting cancer is similar between a colonoscopy and Barium enema. However, the colonoscopy is far superior if there are polyps and/or inflamation as the polyp can be removed at the same time and a sample of any suspect tissue can be biopsied.

• 2 weeks later...

Looked on some old threads but dated. Anyone had any experience with a colonoscopy procedure lately in Bangkok. I am due for a check up in early October & am including the procedure due to some higher than normal blood counts.

Any suggestions regarding what hospital to use would be much appreciated.

Have searched the web for the usual suspects .

One hospital I hadnt heard of was Bangkok Nursing Hospital which had some positive feedback on it.

Costs are not an issue just want it done properly & same day service.

Thanks

Lost of people on this forum have had this at a variety of hospitals and haven't seen any complaints about any of them. As you may know it is routinely recommended every 10 years or so starting at age 50.

The prep process is unpleasant (taking laxatives to clean you out), the procedure itself you are sedated for, you'll need to stay a while for the sedative to wear off and then you're good to go but don't plan on driving as you will still have some sedative on board.

As cost is not an issue and you mention no particular GI problems (in which case selection of doctor would be important) I think anyplace convenient to you will do. My personal preference excluding cost considerations would be Samitivej followed by BNH, but the other places will do fine by you as well.

My Samitivej preference is partly because they do things more strictly by the book there including precautionary measures. The down side of that is that they have a policy against releasing people who have had day surgery or a procedure involving heavy sedation unaccompanied so need someone to pick you up. (I was once held prisoner for hours in their recovery room over this issue!)

Sheryl,

Thanks for the update. I guess BNH will be the best choice for me as I will be in Bangkok by myself & dont have anybody to pick me up.

I have sent an e/mail to BNH with a few questions. Probably my biggest problem will be arriving Bangkok late afternoon & hoping to have the procedure done the next day. I see BNH have consultations till 19:00 hrs so will see what i can organize with them.

There are no GI problems ( that I am aware of) just a higher than normal CEA reading from a blood test I had a couple of weeks ago. Not off the scale but worth going thru with the procedure for peace of mind. As I was in China ( offshore ) when I received the results I decided to wait till i got to Bangkok or Singapore.

Hopefully doctor selection will not come into it.

Again thanks for the reply

I'm sure you can arrange to have it done the next day.

Just a warning that BNH also may not like you going home alone So if they ask just lie and say someone is waiting for you. (Of course, don't leave till you are alert and OK to walk..and then do take taxi direct to your hotel and rest .) Thais get incredibly sedated very easily and stay conked out/woozy for a long time so it is hard for them to understand that farangs are not as susceptible.

I'm sure you can arrange to have it done the next day.

Just a warning that BNH also may not like you going home alone So if they ask just lie and say someone is waiting for you. (Of course, don't leave till you are alert and OK to walk..and then do take taxi direct to your hotel and rest .) Thais get incredibly sedated very easily and stay conked out/woozy for a long time so it is hard for them to understand that farangs are not as susceptible.

Which raises a question about exactly what is being used for sedation and how an appropriate, body weight related, dose is calculated.

For relatively short procedures such as colonoscopy rapid recovery should be achievable for most regardless of ethnicity !

I think they are using appropriate meds. Farangs (and even other Asians) all wake up fast & easy.

Thais in my experience just have a really unusual susceptibility to any sort of depressive agent. They sleep for hours after being given even the lightest sedative. (For that matter, sitting upright on an overnight bus seems to knock a lot of them out!). Which is why hospitals tend to give such low doses of pain killers and sedatives . Which in turn is a problem for anyone not Thai.

The precaution of not wanting people who have had a procedure with IV sedation leave on their own is hardly unique to Thailand, though. Common in the west as well.

Several years ago I had a procedure at BNH to examine my colon for polyps/cancer/whatever. It was part of one of the prepaid check-up packages for middle-aged males. I did the laxative the day (days?) before, and was given an x-ray before the procedure to make sure I was clear. They said if I weren't they would administer an enema.

I lay on the table on my side, they lubricated me and in went the tube with the camera. They invited me to watch on the TV screen as they probed deep within. I did for a while, but got bored. Mid-way through the procedure they introduced air bubbles, which triggered a strong desire in me to evacuate my bowels, but luckily, that didn't happen.

I've been told I did NOT have a colonoscopy as a colonoscopy requires a knock-out anaesthetic. What *was* performed on me?

If it *was* a colonoscopy, why no anaesthetic?

It was uncomfortable at the beginning, and the air bubbles were, as well, but there was no pain, or panic on my part.

Greeting,

For the record, the most painful and discomforting diagonistic tests in a hospital are bone marrow aspiration, barium enama and pulmonary function test. Bone marrow aspiration is the most painful and discomforting test and still doctors can't find a solution to minimize the pain and doscomfort!

Edited by bkkbudddy

Have settled on BNH. Managed to change my flights to get into Bangkok a little earlier for the appointment with the Doc the day before. E/mail 4 hospitals & BNP was first to reply & seemed the most interested in making it all happen. Laid out the charges & what would be required. Made a appointment for late in the evening to take into account my late arrival which I thought was good. Anyway will now have an afternoon & all the next day to hopefully get it done prior to leaving again.

thanks to all for the advice on here & hopefully will be able to post some comments about BNH .

• 1 month later...

Have settled on BNH. Managed to change my flights to get into Bangkok a little earlier for the appointment with the Doc the day before. E/mail 4 hospitals & BNP was first to reply & seemed the most interested in making it all happen. Laid out the charges & what would be required. Made a appointment for late in the evening to take into account my late arrival which I thought was good. Anyway will now have an afternoon & all the next day to hopefully get it done prior to leaving again.

thanks to all for the advice on here & hopefully will be able to post some comments about BNH .

Went to BNH & had procedure done plus a couple of other minor complaints looked at.

Very impressed with the hospital & staff.

Biopsy taken & results back in 72 hours, all good fortunately.

One of the better hospital experiences.

I will certainly return to them in the future should the need arise.

Again thanks for the input.

WPCoe, you might have had a Signoidoscopy, the "short shaft:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmoidoscopy

I had such at the BNH long ago, same deal, roll over and watch the TV, ugh.... Don't have the cost handy, too long ago.

As to the Colonoscopy, did it at Vibhavadi Hospital, checked in late afternoon and started to gulp down the liter or more of stuff, actually not too bad. Procedure early the next morning, stuck around until later morning then released. All clear.

-- 7 July 2007 Vibhavadi Colonoscopy b 16,091 $474.80

Mac

WPCoe, you might have had a Signoidoscopy, the "short shaft:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmoidoscopy

I had such at the BNH long ago, same deal, roll over and watch the TV, ugh.... Don't have the cost handy, too long ago

Thanks for that! I undoubtedly had a sigmoidoscopy. For years, reading posts about folks being anaesthetised for colonoscopies, I couldn't figure out why everyone else needed to be knocked out. Now I know. I'm overdue, so guess I should get one, and this time a colonoscopy.

Batboy, thanks for the info, if I can't get back to Australia for my yearly colonoscopy, cheaper than an air fare.

As this was the first time I had this done have no experience to compare it to.

I thought the procedure itself was ok no problems or discomfort.

The preparation is not something I wish on anybody but i guess that goes with the territory.

I started having colonoscopies every five years after I turned fifty. It is one procedure where I trust the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, where I had varied experiences with other issues over the years. My last colonoscopy was done by a female doctor, Dr. Thitima V., from the GI and Liver Center in the hospital. My last colonoscopy was all good, after I had a polyp removed during the previous one 5 years ago. I was only given a moderate sedative (Midazolam 5 mg V) before the procedure, which lasts only about 20 minutes. There is some pain and discomfort without an anesthesia, but it's no big deal. One can ask for an anesthesia, but it will it will cost you a few thousand baht more. The worst part, is like you said the horrible taste of the medication (Swiff) you have to take the previous afternoon to clean out your insides and you want to make sure you stay at home close to a toilet for the next few hours. Having a colonoscopy is not a big deal really and it will give you peace of mind when your doctor tell gives you a written report telling you all is fine.

This month and until the end of December the Pattaya Bangkok Hospital has half price check-up packages and many other procedures can be had at a reduced price. A colonoscopy without anesthesia costs THB 15 000, reduced from THB 25 000. I guess this would apply for every Bangkok Hospital in Thailand, including BKK, Chiang Mai, Rayong, etc.