Roadside Stand Cooking, Selling, Serving Dog. How to turn-in to Authorities

KMA

One post said it is illegal in Thailand to eat dog meat and another that it is illegal to trade it, born neither poster gave a link to a source that would confirm it. What is the real score on this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What does " illegal" actually mean in Thailand though???

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why turn them in?

What good would that do...coffee1.gif

they are also playing loud karaoke til 1am nearly every night. there is no signage on the place. this seemed an easier way to get the authorities to shut them down

One post said it is illegal in Thailand to eat dog meat and another that it is illegal to trade it, born neither poster gave a link to a source that would confirm it. What is the real score on this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

anyone??

Couple decent answers amid the tripe. For the health aspect alone as, mentioned by klubex, it is worth people knowing. Would the folk poo-pooing the op be so flippant if they unknowingly ate rabid dog when they though they were scoffing chicken breast? I've unknowingly eaten it (at the time) at the local Chinese backhome, who got banged up for serving chicken (dog) curry for years. It is indeed up to the locals what they do here, and this is Thailand, blah blah, but if it's illegal then it's illegal. If you feel strongly enough about it op, or want to know whether it's illegal or not, try the Thai FDA. If you make a noise, would consider moving out however. You know how they are with loss of income.

• Like 1

We have a stand nearby that is cooking and serving dog. We are wondering if anyone knows a way we can turn them in to authorities. We would appreciate any information anyone can provide. Please only info regarding a way to turn them in is appreciated

Why would you want to? It is not actually illegal to eat dog in Thailand. They obviously have customers or they would not be trading.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

As long as the dogs have not been stolen ( I have known personally of that happening here) or there is no cruelty involved, don't put your nose in where it is not wanted. There is nothing worse than a grass, unless there is a serious crime being committed.

Would the folk poo-pooing the op be so flippant if they unknowingly ate rabid dog when they though they were scoffing chicken breast?

Rabies is transmitted from live infected animals into the blood stream of the recipient, usually via saliva into a wound. So in that respect you can eat as many cooked rabid dogs as you like.

Proper preparation and cooking should also take care of the other diseases and parasites that one is likely to catch from a soi dog.

Personally in Thailand I might be more wary of the chicken breast than the soi dog as here they do tend to use a large amount of chemicals when raising chickens in factory farms.

I asked around one what the locals had to say about this (5 guys sitting playing beer cap checkers and drinking LK). Consensus is that it is illegal to trade or sell dog/dog meat for human consumption. As another poster stated in regards to passing quality controls (which thailand has believe it or not). It is however believed not to be against the law to consume dog meat. Ie if yesterday you had four dogs and yet today you have a full belly and only three dogs that is not illegal.

Having digested (can not really say eaten) dog meat it was........a bit tough. Not at all like chicken however it may depend on the breed. I have sampled it on more than one occasion as my wifes uncle had a run in with the neighbor and his dogs eating his chickens. I am not to keen on it. As well being from the West we sort of look at dogs as more pets/family members then food. Unlike chickens, pigs (although they make good pets), and cows which have become known as food sources.

K-9 Angels?

http://www.animalsasia.org/

Thailand And The Dog Meat Industry

Perhaps one of the things the K-9 Angels have become most renowned for is their work with dogs in Thailand. Their efforts to save and re-home dogs rescued from the illegal dog meat trade have captured the attention of celebrities and the Press, not to mention thousands of Facebook users, and their winged and haloed paw print logo is becoming synonymous with the fight against this nauseating trade.

http://k-9angels.org/straytoday/thailand-dog-meat-industry/

Smugglers drive Thailand's grim trade in dog meat

Packed tight into wire baskets -- sometimes 20 or more to a cage -- animal rights activists say as many as 200,000 live dogs every year are smuggled from northeast Thailand across the Mekong River destined for restaurants in Vietnam.
Dehydrated, stressed, some even dying of suffocation on the trip, the dogs are often stacked 1,000 to a truck on a journey that lasts for days.
"Obviously when you've got dogs stacked on top of each other they start biting each other because they are so uncomfortable, any kind of movement then the dog next to the one that's being crushed is going to bite back," said Tuan Bendixsen, director of Animals Asia Foundation Vietnam, a Hanoi-based animal welfare group.

post-9615-0-80131700-1378622322_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

try the soi dog foundation, can see on facebook or google.

Here's a link to their latest newsletter stating efforts on tackling this disgusting trade are moving forward with the co-operation of the Thai Authorities. http://www.soidog.org/en/newsletter-sign-up/past-newsletters/03-09-2013/?utm_source=EMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Hanoi+03-09-2014 You could also email John Daly direct. He's the co-manager of Soi Dogs and very responsive.

The rest of you can snigger away. It seems to make you feel good about yourselves. What with taking the trouble to log in and post and all. Sad.

Why turn them in?

they are also playing loud karaoke til 1am nearly every night. there is no signage on the place. this seemed an easier way to get the authorities to shut them down

good to see your real motivation. BTW do you or family eat meatballs?

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/05/30/more-1000-dog-skulls-unearthed-ayutthaya

If its one less scabby dog roaming my soi I'm happy.

It's about time the Thai authorities got a grip on stray dogs,given the incredible amount of unneeded jobs here like gasoline attendant,and car park attendants one would think that every town should have 100 dog catchers.

Appreciate the constructive replies. I will let you all know what we do. We have some "connections" here

Thanks

What, the Kennel Club?

One of the provinces in the north east is renowned for its dog cuisine, so I very much doubt any rule is being broken.

Turn them in? What for? They a doing the country a service by getting rid of excess dogs.

Now, if we were only allowed to barbeque the excess humans. 555

We could stop the famines in Africa....no more Ethiopian jokes...no more Bob geldof songs...

• Like 1

One of the provinces in the north east is renowned for its dog cuisine

Maybe the Tourism Authority of Thailand should promote canine cuisine foodie tours? Amazing Thailand, the hub of Doggie Dining. Welcome to Chez Chienne.

It is weird that people, who might have not been so good in a previous life, are reincarnated as dogs, only to get BBQed at a roadside stand, or shipped off the Vietnamese restaurants?

• Like 1

OP do you pork beef chicken or fish?

Why are you so up tight

are you a thai apologist? Sooner or later you will be called one but at least thais have thai apologists.

Well he does live in pattaya...

Dear 'harryfrompattaya', believe it or not but different cultures have different attitudes to eating certain animals. My Thai students shit themselves when I talk about how I love eating rabbit and horse. Are they all uptight too? If yes, then it sounds like everyone in the world is uptight, and you've just made the word meaningless.

But I think it is more likely your answer is no, they are different, making you another dumbass expat trying to convince himself he is a native.

Why turn them in?

I guess you are right about THAT.

For what it's worth, I have seen what they do to cats in China. Meaning those dogs are well off, in a weird way.

We have a stand nearby that is cooking and serving dog. We are wondering if anyone knows a way we can turn them in to authorities. We would appreciate any information anyone can provide. Please only info regarding a way to turn them in is appreciated

Why would you want to? It is not actually illegal to eat dog in Thailand. They obviously have customers or they would not be trading.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I assumed because it is illegal to trade dog meat is would also be illegal to consume here in TL. Anyone 100% sure it is legal to sell and serve?

I support you with this. I would rather see those involved or those who cannot see any wrong in this trade of canine suffering and cruelty, tortured and roasted alive over a spit.

For advice, contact the Care For Dogs Foundation.

http://www.carefordogs.org/

Or this one:

http://www.lannadog.net/blog/

Or this one:

http://www.animal-sanctuary.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/

Or here:

http://www.soidog.org/en/links/

These Chiang Mai dog rescue organisations should be able to advise you.

Please keep us updated on this.

• Like 1