"Different" Thai foods you have eaten!

Chittychangchang

If you can find a restaurant that specializes in, or at least serves, "forest food" (อาหารป่า), go for it! One of the most interesting facets of Thai cuisine...and you get to try different kinds of deer, wild boar, ostrich...great stuff. In the provinces, everyone eats it, it's just rare to find it in restaurants!

I know of a few bars / restaurants in BKK that serve ostrich and venison and I love to eat it as it's such a change from pork and chicken.

I would like to find some places that serve this type of food!

Spade...Can you tell me which places in BKK serve ostrich and venison? I'm feeling hungry

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

First visit to the wifes village outside KK they pulled a fresh rat out of the fridge .. Welcome to Issan.

"It's not like a city rat, its a country rat, its good" .. Yeah, alright.

I really like the tart exploding taste of Khai Mot Deng or red ants pupae / eggs. Nice as a snack, steamed in a banana leaf with lemon grass or as a watery soup with some herbs.

We get wild boar in the markets down here all the time, far too regularly i crunch my teeth on a lead shot, so its the real-mcoy.

Giant Water bug (Maeng Da) bashed up with chilli as Namprik has a nice lemon flavour.

From what i could work out i ate a seagull in Vietnam, tasts as bad as you think it would.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

Most insects including ant eggs and waterbugs (meng da). Trantula's in Cambodia. Frog leg Khapow. Congeeled blood of course. Various snakes. Venison in US and Thailand (was gifted). Black bear (US). Fried sparrow. Wild boar is about my favorite, esp sun dried. Paddy rats a few times.

Those little dancing shrimp are so common they are street food in central BKK. Anyway, most of it is not very tasty. Famine food as I call it.

Chicken feet, why? Livers, etc...why, just + the cholesterol.

Unhatched ducklings, high protein and cheap but no thanks. Disgusting. More Lao, Cambodian and Philippino anyway. Famine foid.

I really do my best to avoid offal and byproducts. Meat is quite reasonable, leave the discards to the poors.

The meng.da as namprik is not bad. Wife loves it and eats it every oppty. I won't touch it anymore. Again, why.

Most of this stuff I tried years before marrying so when the wife sugests trying, I've been there. I no longer have any need to eat som tam pla la. F it - som thai krap kun. Wife born bkk but parents moved here in their teens.

Edited by fifthcolumn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The ants are OK but I can't get my mouth to open for those mushy pasty cooked ant eggs. Chicken feet-- I came home from school when I was around 17 with some friends. Came in for dinner to see a big bowl of boiled chicken feet and unlayed eggs ( from butchered chickens). My mother got a hankering for some old southern cooking-- My friends decided to pass on dinner.

My mom was from the South also and she fried chicken feet and necks. I couldn't stomach them.

rolleyes.gif The baked giant Frog.

No not frog legs, the whole oven baked Frog(s).

No heads and intestines cleaned out,

Actually was quite good.

Had been basted in some sweet hot Chilli sauce and roasted until the skin was cooked crispy .... was really good.

At least I enjoyed it, although I admit to have been rather drunk at the time.

Ordered by two Thai girls we met at about 2 a.m. from a street vendors cart on Petchburi Road in Bangkok.

I'll start,

The fil caught a cobra snake near Phetchabunws airport and brought it home fwswmwworwzsdf dinner.ss

He chopped and skinned it like a master butcher and q mde the still beating heart to swallow!

I can safely say that q experience is the closest a man can get to feeling pregnant(the beating heart in the belly)

What different foods have you eaten in Thailand?

CCC

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Fresh water tortoise in Isaan, bloody chewy and flavour not so great. Plus most of the other things mentioned. The dancing shrimp was from a travelling vendor on Soi Nana. I do like the fried crickets with a few beers, nice nutty flavour, but the legs get stuck in the teeth. The chickens feet not so great either, take 3 kilo of feet add about 50 chilli's and a few other bits and boil is apparently the secret family recipe.

Cheers

I was in CM and BKK and I couldn't find any dancing shrimps dishes at all? Where can I find one restaurant/street stalls that sell them next time I am there?