Has Thailand ever invented or developed something significant ?

Bcgardener

But the thread is about Thailand, not what Asia or Africa might or might not have invented. Still waiting to see one important invention listed from Thailand.

There have been a number of threads on Thai Visa about Thai inventions. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/13420-thai-inventions/ Try reading it.

Read it but still waiting for one important Thai invention to be mentioned here, can't do it can you? The best answer on that thread was :

'Posted 2004-07-16 14:13:29

On a serious note here, I've asked almost all of the groups of students whom I've taught over the last four years this same question. These have been 'educated' people, BA students, MA students and even the odd PhD. I have yet to have anyone give me a good answer. The only thing I can think that has been invented here is chaos theory! '

Saving lives not important enough for you?

Why don't you read some of the stuff in this thread instead of being belligerent for belligerent's sake?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone in this world can be an inventor, most times all it takes is looking at a problem from a different angle and coming up with an original solution to deal with the problem.

In a lot of cases, the inventor stays anonymous due to specialized fields or industries not in the public eye. The following is a good example of 'thinking outside the box'. And, shock, horror, invented by a Thai......................wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs091LFCewY&feature=player_embedded

"This is the future of fire extinguishers, says Thai inventor Phanawatnan Kaimart. His Elide Fire Extinguishing Ball is more intuitive than fire extinguishing spray tanks, he says, and requires only enough strength to toss a 3-pound ball.

You just hurl it in and step back and then poof! it’s automatic, Phanawatnan said. The ball sells for about $82, the approximate price of a 10-pound canister-based fire extinguisher in the United States. The ball’s manufacturer, Siam Safety Premier, claims to have sold roughly 1 million balls since its 2001 release.

Extreme heat causes the ball to explode with a dramatic pop. In promotional YouTube videos, the ball appears to blast flame-stopping chemicals in all directions just seconds after it’s thrown into a fire. The flames are instantaneously gone, leaving behind a white chemical cloud."

Simple, eh???

• Like 1

Cause everyone on this thread has a world shattering invention, not.

Typical lack of logic.

The question is not, if ThaiVisa members have invented something. But the question is, if a country of approx 60 million people has a certain amount of outstanding people with over average achievements.

In the West, even smaller countries do have outstanding people. This is mainly based on culture, religion, education and average IQ.

Exactly these parameters - culture, religion, education, IQ - aren't in favor of Thailand. That's why even during decades there aren't any outstanding achievements from Thailand.

That's why the West is advanced and Thailand is not. But the recent decay in Western societies will certainly turn the picture in favor of countries like China, India, Japan, Korea. It is not static. Parts of the world advance fast. And Thailand is not part of it.

• Like 1

they invented the long tailed boat ?

and they invented THE THERMAE JOINT

so that will have to suffice.

western philanthropists gave all their wealth to medical research but a thai philanthropist is a rare beast indeed

hey and dont forget the balcony that you fall over

Edited by giggles

Cause everyone on this thread has a world shattering invention, not.

Typical lack of logic.

The question is not, if ThaiVisa members have invented something. But the question is, if a country of approx 60 million people has a certain amount of outstanding people with over average achievements.

In the West, even smaller countries do have outstanding people. This is mainly based on culture, religion, education and average IQ.

Exactly these parameters - culture, religion, education, IQ - aren't in favor of Thailand. That's why even during decades there aren't any outstanding achievements from Thailand.

That's why the West is advanced and Thailand is not. But the recent decay in Western societies will certainly turn the picture in favor of countries like China, India, Japan, Korea. It is not static. Parts of the world advance fast. And Thailand is not part of it.

Hubris.

@ OP:

If you are really interested in Thai inventions and creations, once you have mastered search engines, try looking at the field of robotics. Try searching for Dr. Manukid Parnichkun as a starter...............wink.png

Prime Minister's who operate out of another country, beer bottle cooling sleeves (maybe ?), Full Moon Parties (almost probably certainly) , lucky amulets that confer magic protection to the wearer, corrupt monkeys (Lopburi et al), Skytrains with half the escalators missing, underground stations with the world's biggest underpasses. Uniformed beer girls , oh and uniformed beer girls.

Well, the OP asked for information about things that Thais have invented.

It's your turn. Rattle off your long list of world shaking contributions that Thais have made to science and technology, or any other important inventions.

Next to that in column 2, list all of the things that Thailand manufactures for companies from other countries, which companies brought in not only the knowledge but the machinery and supervise the Thais while the Thais work in the factory.

Next to that in column 3, list all of the higher technology items that Thailand imports because they don't even manufacture those items for other countries.

C'mon. Put a little effort into this.

Threads like this really brings out the true Thai bashers. Either that or it exposes their true colors. Mr. Neversure, let me just ask you one simple question. Have you ever invented anything of true significance? If not, then you're no different from the random Thai. At least be honest about it.

Lets' not make this personal. Read the OP topic. What have Thais invented? I think it has to do with a lack of a good education system. They don't keep up with modern science, especially the high tech things.

We're talking about countries and societies and your statement doesn't fit the topic.

I'm American. Look around your room. Do you have a computer, an operating system for it, a web browser, a cell or smart phone, the internet, web sites that are American but used the world over such google, etc. etc? Do you have a light bulb? Do you have airbags in your car? Has Thailand put a man on the moon? Does it have a Hubble telescope? Is there anything you've bought that has or had a UPC-A barcode on it? Wow, could I go on forever.

And yes, I draw about half of my income from two patents I have. They are software patents.

Now, what has Thailand (a country) invented that is life changing?

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Kao Horm Mali 105 variety (KDML105) by Sunthorn Seehanern, an official of the ministry of agriculture in the Chachoengsao Province of Thailand in 1954. This is better known as Thai Jasmine Rice.

Not really inventing is it, just another variety of rice and much the same as basmati and many others. It's about the equivalent of claiming the UK invented Macvites digestives or HP sauce, hardly a great leap forward for mankind.

Edited by sms747

Perhaps it is you who's missing the point. Many posters on this thread are rather condescending in their comments, with the clear implication that they somehow contributed to the success of their countrymen when clearly they have contributed nothing. And aren't they at least a bit ashamed that even coming from countries with clear advantages--i.e., "culture, religion, education, IQ"--in your words, they still accomplished nothing in their lifetimes that would constitute a significant invention. And yet, they feel qualified to criticize the Thais? As Samran said, "hubris."

Another logic fail.

The individual poster is not the subject here, as it is not the individual Thai.

It is about culture, education, IQ. Only in this context one can understand the failure of Thailand to invent anything outstanding. We all know the general lack of common sense here. And of course this shows in other fields too.

It is not impossible that suddenly some Thai will invent something great. There is always space at the left of the Bell curve. But it is just so much less probable than - let' s say - some Japanese will invent something outstanding.

And just how does this compare with a smartphone with an Android operating system that can make phone calls or surf the web worldwide? How does it compare to GPS, Google maps, driving directions, and all of the rest of what you can drop into your shirt pocket?

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

i prefer Tom Yang Gung over any smartphone (i don't own one and never will) and Google maps tongue.png

There is a great spoken word song called 'The Parable of Glenn McGrath's haircut' by Australian band TISM. These particular lyrics come to mind as I read this thread:

"The last time I saw Roger was last year at the Boxing Day test. He'd

turned into such a fat, normal, yobbo ****. "The wife nearly didn't let

me out today" he said, and he did all that chanting yobs do, like "Ooh,

Aahh, Glenn McGrath".

"It got you in the end" I thought to myself, as I looked at Roger. "Life got you in the end, pal. You were such a cocky, successful winner when we were 16, but now you're just another sad fat prick sitting in the M.C.G high-fiving in self-congratulation, as if its you that had the skill and determination to play for Australia".

It's the ****s with the bad haircuts that you've got to watch out for.

There's never been a popular teenager yet who's done rat's with their

life. Its the f*#king dorks that give it a real go. Glenn McGrath got

5 for 50 that day"

My guess on invention would be "Ladyboys" and the development of making them become generally accepted in society.

Can't think of another countries where a man can wear a dress, without people laughing their heads off...

Transgenderism is more common than you appear to think all over south and south-east Asia. The first male to female operation in Asia took place in Singapore in 1971. Bugis Street used to be heaving with trannies as did Butterworth in Malaysia then there are the hijras of India.

My guess on invention would be "Ladyboys" and the development of making them become generally accepted in society.

Can't think of another countries where a man can wear a dress, without people laughing their heads off...

Transgenderism is more common than you appear to think all over south and south-east Asia. The first male to female operation in Asia took place in Singapore in 1971. Bugis Street used to be heaving with trannies as did Butterworth in Malaysia then there are the hijras of India.

Well, guess I don't come the right places then :-)

It appears I have created a beast with my topic. Many thanks to those that posted useful information. A little internet research on Thai patents and where it led has turned up enough info for my daughter to do her assignment. It may of interest to know that she goes to an international school that follows the UK curriculum but this question came up in history? Thai Jasmine Rice was one of the things we discovered. It provided a great boost to the Countries export industry.

It appears I have created a beast with my topic. Many thanks to those that posted useful information. A little internet research on Thai patents and where it led has turned up enough info for my daughter to do her assignment. It may of interest to know that she goes to an international school that follows the UK curriculum but this question came up in history? Thai Jasmine Rice was one of the things we discovered. It provided a great boost to the Countries export industry.

It would have been very easy to google, "inventions ThaiVisa" to come up with 13 plus pages of posts about Thai inventions. Is that a difficult thing to do? Why did you start a new thread when one already was running with many pages of information in it? I think it was to give a new voice to the folks who want to say Thailand is not a very good country. Or maybe you didn't know about Google?

I searched the US Patent Office for Patents issued to Thai inventors.

It came up with 1,167 patents issued to inventors that list their country as Thailand. I don't know how many are registered to Thai inventors that don't list Thailand as their home country.

Took about 30 seconds. Bash all you want, but at least spend the 30 seconds.... Here's a hint: enter ICN/TH in the little box, then hit the button.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.htm

• Like 2