Has Thailand ever invented or developed something significant ?

Bcgardener

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears I have created a beast with my topic. Many thanks to those that posted useful information. A little internet research on Thai patents and where it led has turned up enough info for my daughter to do her assignment. It may of interest to know that she goes to an international school that follows the UK curriculum but this question came up in history? Thai Jasmine Rice was one of the things we discovered. It provided a great boost to the Countries export industry.

It would have been very easy to google, "inventions ThaiVisa" to come up with 13 plus pages of posts about Thai inventions.  Is that a difficult thing to do?  Why did you start a new thread when one already was running with many pages of information in it?  I think it was to give a new voice to the folks who want to say Thailand is not a very good country.  Or maybe you didn't know about Google?

I did look at one forum and it contained the same '' Thai bashing'' comments that appeared in this forum. However I did get the information I required from this forum so for me it was a successful post. I leave the rest to continue their anti Thai tirade without further input from me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

to invent things you need to have an inquisitive mind and time and money and thais may be slightly well off now but that wasnt the case even as lately as 30 years ago .

they had to scrape a living pedaling a rickshaw all over town for a pittance or some other low paying job.

but i would like to award a Nobel Prize to the thai bloke who started THE THERMAE many years ago .men all over the world smile a little smile at the mention of its name .

many patents to ones name means nothing as anyone can take out a patent on any daft idea for very little money .

go take a look at all the latest patents ,many are meaningless and dumb ideas that havent a hope in hell of getting anywhere .

Edited by giggles
  • Like 1

It appears I have created a beast with my topic.

Any topic that tries to put Thailand and the Thais in a good light will become a beast. Saying something good about the country they choose to live in makes many TVer's heads explode laugh.png

You haven't answered the OP's question. sad.png

It appears I have created a beast with my topic.

Any topic that tries to put Thailand and the Thais in a good light will become a beast. Saying something good about the country they choose to live in makes many TVer's heads explode laugh.png

You haven't answered the OP's question. sad.png

I was commenting on a remark he made. I wasn't attempting to answer his question.

Yes. Last year the government paid people to purchase their first car. As a result you have hundreds of thousands of middle age Thais driving high powered sedans and pick ups with no driver training whatsoever and no previous experience. Thus the Thai government has developed a significant and lethal risk to road users in this country.

Actually, that was a scheme used in the US around 2007 or so. First time car buyers who bought a fuel efficient vehicle got a 5000 dollar tax credit

Som tam is like the Godwin's Law for threads about Thai inventions - as soon as Som Tam comes up the thread should be closed - this particular one lasted a couple of pages. Looks like many Thai firsts it could well be a Khmer or Laotian innovation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_papaya_salad

On a more serious not so what if Thailand didn't invent much - until the US turned it into a US outpost during the Vietnam War and put it on a strip mall , urban concrete jungle development cycle then the Venice of the East was a beautiful and harmonic place to live and from which a positive and sustainable culture developed. Buddhism has created a good hearted and accepting tolerant people and culture - which is why us Farangs like it so much. At least they didn't invent napalm and the atomic bomb.

• Like 1

Not a Thai invention and I don't know if it's by accident or design but some of the architecture in Bangkok is beautiful. Near Monument is a neighbourhood that appears to have 40's or 50's architecture. Of course in disrepair now it has almost a French feel about it. Then there are the hotels that are still standing thrown up in the 60's and 70's show some great examples of innovation at the time. Over the last decade the skyline of Bangkok has changed beyond recognition with some truly wonderful new hotels, office buildings etc. I'm not a big fan of the Baiyoke Tower but the new Sofitel on Sukhumvit whilst not spectacular has a wonderful look, next time you are in the area take some time having a look, fascinating. Of course some malls in Bangkok have a generic look but the relatively new Terminal 21 is a wonderfully thought out building.

Rice and a few funny looking buildings then- those mostly designed by foreigners.

Rice and a few funny looking buildings then- those mostly designed by foreigners. And 1,167 patents issued to inventors that list their country as Thailand in the US Patent office.

Anyone can file a patent. Please list 10 inventions from those measly 1.167 that are in any way important.

Rice and a few funny looking buildings then- those mostly designed by foreigners.

Rice and a few funny looking buildings then- those mostly designed by foreigners. And 1,167 patents issued to inventors that list their country as Thailand in the US Patent office.

Anyone can file a patent. Please list 10 inventions from those measly 1.167 that are in any way important.

Why would I do that? Who are you to know the difference? Go look yourself. I doubt you are capable. If not your loss. I looked and there are 27 very important inventions and 362 important inventions and 466 inventins of minor importance.

On a more serious not so what if Thailand didn't invent much - until the US turned it into a US outpost during the Vietnam War and put it on a strip mall , urban concrete jungle development cycle then the Venice of the East was a beautiful and harmonic place to live and from which a positive and sustainable culture developed. Buddhism has created a good hearted and accepting tolerant people and culture - which is why us Farangs like it so much. At least they didn't invent napalm and the atomic bomb.

The US built the Thai phone system and international airports and deep water ports and port facilities that turned Thailand into the economic powerhouse it is today. The US also left to Thailand buildings and equipment that today are the trade schools that teach heavy equipment management and repair that much of the Thai logistics industry is based on. The US also provided health care and education to thousands of Thai children all over the country in addition to roadbuilding and other infrastructure projects.

Edited by historyprof

I have had a look and IMO there is nothing of 'significance' at all- as you are the one claiming there is then do us all a favour and list the 27 'very important' ones.

So sms, what have you invented? You sound very much like the guy with the 2-inch penis that NewlyMintedThai was talking about. Dude, try as you might, you are not John Holmes.

Edited by Berkshire

Well, the OP asked for information about things that Thais have invented.

It's your turn. Rattle off your long list of world shaking contributions that Thais have made to science and technology, or any other important inventions.

Next to that in column 2, list all of the things that Thailand manufactures for companies from other countries, which companies brought in not only the knowledge but the machinery and supervise the Thais while the Thais work in the factory.

Next to that in column 3, list all of the higher technology items that Thailand imports because they don't even manufacture those items for other countries.

C'mon. Put a little effort into this.

Threads like this really brings out the true Thai bashers. Either that or it exposes their true colors. Mr. Neversure, let me just ask you one simple question. Have you ever invented anything of true significance? If not, then you're no different from the random Thai. At least be honest about it.

And yes, I draw about half of my income from two patents I have. They are software patents.

Now, what has Thailand (a country) invented that is life changing?

You're killing me, but I'll play along. Let's examine the thread title..."invented or developed something significant." Do your patents qualify as a "significant" invention? I'll save you the trouble of having to lie and conclude "no." But no worries, you're really not that much different from the Thais or the other 99% of the population on this planet.

I have had a look and IMO there is nothing of 'significance' at all- as you are the one claiming there is then do us all a favour and list the 27 'very important' ones.

So sms, what have you invented? You sound very much like the guy with the 2-inch penis that NewlyMintedThai was talking about. Dude, try as you might, you are not John Holmes.

The thread is about what has Thailand invented that is significant, not me. There is no need for posters to make this simple question personal. Still awaiting this amazing list of contributions to mankind.

The thread is about what has Thailand invented that is significant, not me. There is no need for posters to make this simple question personal. Still awaiting this amazing list of contributions to mankind.

The point is, you are no better than the Thais. You've invented nothing. Contributed nothing to mankind. You have achieved nothing of significance in your lifetime. So why bash the Thais?

The point is, you are no better than the Thais. You've invented nothing. Contributed nothing to mankind. You have achieved nothing of significance in your lifetime. So why bash the Thais?

oh god here we go again, nobody is 'bashing' the Thais and we are not talking about individuals on here or other countries. The simple question was posed, nobody who insisted that Thailand had invented anything of significance in reply has come up with one single important invention, so the answer to the OP, so far is NO Thailand has not. Not anti Thai just a fact.

SMS 747 wrote, "oh god here we go again, nobody is 'bashing' the Thais and we are not talking about individuals on here or other countries. The simple question was posed, nobody who insisted that Thailand had invented anything of significance in reply has come up with one single important invention, so the answer to the OP, so far is NO Thailand has not. Not anti Thai just a fact."

Now here is the fact from Coconuts, "Thailand’s creative economy continues to flower as earlier this month a Thai inventor won a bronze medal at the prestigious International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva for developing an affordable device that can help detect the risk of a stroke."

Now you all can put the anti Thai responses below,

1000 patents issued to Japanese in one week.