Has Thailand ever invented or developed something significant ?

Bcgardener

You could turn the OP question on its head and ask.

Due to Thailand,s culture and education standards is it likely that Thailand will invent life changing inventions the answer would probably be no, now this is not Thai bashing its just a fact, it's very difficult here to pick up the phone and find a qualified electrician never mind a inventor

When i first come to Thailand (2000) i was reading a article in the Bangkok Post about this very subject it was written by a old very well respected Thai academic the main headline was Thainess and he was worried about the young where loosing there sense of identity for one reason and another (Global influence ) and he was worried about Thai education on the world stage and one of his points what has Thailand ever invented or done to make any difference he made the point that Thailand was to inward looking .

Thats not the Thai peoples fault its up to the government to start changing things starting at the primary school level .

Just this week the top 100 university where announced and you can bet the next lot of invention's will be coming from the best of them.

• Like 2

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about we expand this topic a bit.

What world-changing device or technology has ever been invented ANYWHERE in the tropics? There may be a few -- but a tiny minority compared with what has come from cooler climes.

This is the thing, isn't it? Tropical countries have sunshine year-round, and their natives never had to worry about planning for the winter, keeping warm, or even planting crops. There was always been an abundance, year round.

Living in non-tropical countries required people to develop more innovative minds. They had to either learn to plan ahead, develop technologies to help them survive...or die. They also had plenty of time in cold months to tinker around.

Thailand has the largest "Super Star" production complex (SSPC) or HUB in the world! They invented the term "Super Star" and their renowned Thai television chanels and block buster film are full of them. Thats why they needed this facility, the thurst for more and more of these icons.

You need to get out to the cinema more, stroll down the streets of Bangykok or maybe just stay in and whatch chanel after chanel of violence, comedy, love or whatever. Thailand is now the world hub for iconic super stars, I only wish I could give you a name apart from "that annemic bird from Chiang Mai."

After the first 3 pages, apart from the Einstein that brought in Africa as comparison, much wasn't being said.

Hom Mali rice was developed in the 50s by Thais. So I read in the wiki.

Cloud seeding Thai style is innovative as well.

In defense of Africa, we were just doing quite fine, when Europeans decided to gatecrash into the continent and the rest is history.

We were so healthy looking that the visitors started exporting us to elsewhere against our

• Like 1

For you lazy types who are full of yourselves to do the right thing, go to the website I posted. check only the two Thai boxes. Type 'science" in the search box. Just one of many possible fields. Not all have a Thai name associated but occurred in Thailand. You get the following:

1 0001001143 44398 Automatic letter shiftingkey for data inputting keyboard Since Thai alphabets contain more letters than ... National Science and technology Development Agency 2 9501001331 17799 13175 A process for producing 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline which ... National Science and Technology Development Agency. Rungsardtong, Wilai 3 9501002584 29054 14333 Telephone-using counter Telephone-using counter for telephone line distrib ... The National Science and Technology Development Institute Kaewpanya, Amaret 4 0001002064 44627 21310 A rice noodle machine A rice noodle machine according to this inventi ... National Science and technologyDevelopment Agency Poomprabu, SurapolUk-kasaeng, RuchPitukkuenkun, PoompakA rice noodle machine 5 9601003334 29069 20363 Energy-saving kiln The invention regards the kiln and the process to ... The Science and Technology Devlopment Institute Prateepchaikoool, Kamphol, Prasertsan, Sutheera, Keereewat, Pairoj4. Thepraya, Thanandornsak 6 0001001487 45555 17806 A blending of low molar mass liquid crystal chemical A blending of one or more low molar mass liquid ... National Science and TechnologyDevelopment Agency Thongyai, SupakanokPolanusorn, Surapunth 7 9901001801 47259 20842 The Small Rod External Fixator (SREF) The small rod external fixator (SREF) consists of ... National Science and Technology Development Agency, Thailand Laopattharakasem, WirutTangjitpermkwamdee, Chayapruek 8 9901000302 54566 The Extracting Process of Protein Recombinant E got from E.Coli with High Purity for Application as Antigen Protein used in the Diagnosis Kit for Hemorrhagic Fever The process to extract Recombinant Protein E from ... The National Science and Technology Development Agency Malasit, Preeda 9 9601003651 27937 A process for the manufacture of an improved solid carbon A process for the manufacture of said carbon for u ... Eepartment of Science & Technology, A pepartment under the Ministry of Science & Technology Goverment of India Manocha , Lalit Mohan 10 9601002604 29001 Detecting genetic predisposition to periodontal disease A method and kit for the identification of a patie ... Medical Science Systems Inc. Duff , Gordan W., Kornman , Kenneth 11 9801002155 31243 Diarrhea lab examination by Monochrobal Antibody specific for V. cholerae 0139 1. NHV4 is a hybridoma clone produced by Hybridom ... The Medical Science Department Tattiyaphong, Aree 12 9801000192 29049 17487 The process to transform the Macaranga constricta Whitm.& Airy Shaw to be AIDS medicine The extracted substance from the Macaranga constri ... Medical Science Department Hiransalee, Angkhana 13 0101003098 52219 Hot-air Oven The hot-air oven is suitable for drying material o ... Institute of Science and Technology Services, Chiengmai University Theppakorn, TheerapongsaPaliwanit, ManopKanasawat, PhawineeHot-air Oven 14 0101000985 51272 Rotating type household compost bin Rotating type household compost bin is made o ... Department of Pollution Controll,Min. of Science, Technology and EnvironmentJaermchaisri, Chard Jaermchaisri, Chard 15 9801000581 37108 Rotary board for use in double-sided lapping machine. As shown in Fig. 3, a rotary board for use in a do ... Yachiyo Micro Science Company Limited. Ikegaya, Toshiaki, Hamaoka, Shozo 16 0001000323 45787 System of PC with Transmission on network Actually, all users are concerned in upgrading ... National Science and Technology DevelopmentAgency Sornlerdlumwanich, Wiruch 17 9201001485 15027 15782 Electric field therapy apparatus. Hakuju Institute for Health Science Co.,Ltd. OGAWA, YukioHARA, Akikuni 18 9701000232 27951 12823 WOUND COVERING MATERIAL A wound covering material is provided which can sm ... Japan as represented by National Institute of Sericultural ans Entomological Science; Ministry of Agriculture;Forestry and Fishries Tsubouchi , Kozo 19 9301001082 13981 Method for control of conidial dispersal and improved maintenance of entomopathogenic fungal products. A class of economical, non-toxic materials which ... Eco Science Corporation JOHAL, SarjitMAROLD, Lorraine M. 20 9601002807 26750 9869 Composition for lightweight building material and method for the production of lightweight building material PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To obtain a composition for ... Agency of Industrial Science & Technology Kamio , Tsukasa, Kimura , Kunio, Suzuki , Makoto , etc. 21 9501001858 18266 Ionizing radiation detector. An ionizing radiation detector comprises a flat su ... The Imperial College of Science,Technology and Medicine. Choi, Peter, Dr., Hassard, John Francis, Dr.

For you lazy types who are full of yourselves to do the right thing, go to the website I posted. check only the two Thai boxes. Type 'science" in the search box. Just one of many possible fields.

<snip>

Did that already.

The extensive list you posted missed off some notable inventions like, dog toy, toy for dog, box with lid, can with lid, device for cutting cane and other ground breaking inventions ............. wooo.

For you lazy types who are full of yourselves to do the right thing, go to the website I posted. check only the two Thai boxes. Type 'science" in the search box. Just one of many possible fields.

<snip>

Did that already.

The extensive list you posted missed off some notable inventions like, dog toy, toy for dog, box with lid, can with lid, device for cutting cane and other ground breaking inventions ............. wooo.

Box with a lid....well I never thunked I lived amongst such creative genius.

• Like 1

possibly taxi dancing where you pay a fee to the woman for a dance .you dont see it much now though

No I don't think so as they had that in the USA at least as early as the 1930's, used to be fun at 5 baht a go. Most Thai dance is derived from Lao, Khmer and Malay influences, The Ramwong was sort of invented in 1944 by the then nationalist PM and his wife, but they took it from existing dances and it had more Lao influence than Thai. As soon as the PM was chucked out, 1957 I think the popularity od Ramwong went into decline. He promoted it to counter to popularity of 'decadent' western dance like the fox trot and so on. He's the bloke who built the 'victory' monument, another Thai invention of a sort.

Edited by sms747

the education system doesn't encourage independent creative thinking, just obedient zombie nation ,that act like sheep

You have studied the curriculum?

I doubt that he's capable of studying anything.

My step daughter was 10 when she moved to the UK and started at a UK school. Apart from the obvious, English, British history etc, she was ahead of her British contemporaries in universal subjects such as maths and science.

Not all schools in the UK are great,especially those in inner cities with a large immigrant population,

Maybe before you enrolled her into a UK school you should have compared her new school on the performance table for all UK schools. Where is your daughters school?.