Things to do, when you live in Phuket.

Marcoose

I've spent the last 2.5 years in Phuket and have lived a very boring life. A typical week would consist mainly of working from my laptop with a few gym sessions and a couple of nights out. I don't feel like I'm living my life and this has to change! So basically, I am looking for suggestions on fun things to do in the Rawai/Nai Harn area.

I would train Muay Thai full time but unfortunately my body can't cope! I don't mind paying to do stuff as long as I'm not getting charged silly money because of the colour of my skin.

What I'm thinking is:

Fishing with my buddy

Buy a games console

Walking the beach more often

Gym

Thai language lessons

One night out drinking per week

What do you do to stop yourself getting bored? (not including drinking and the obvious ;)).

An exciting day in Phuket would be.......

Run the gauntlet of taxi drivers at the airport to get the new bus service......

Walk along any roadside with your camera bag hanging enticingly for passing motorcyclists......

A morning of cruising the waves in the highly safety conscious speedboats.......

An afternoon of testing who the best Jet Ski operator is........

An evening of cruising the wonderful value Gem shops........

Followed by negotiating with the highly trustworthy and lovely Tailors for a new suit..........

A nice drive around the island on your motorcycle, preferably in flip flops and no helmet, as you can really trust the local drivers to keep you safe.........

A night flashing your cash around at one of the high quality entertainment venues entertaining the Nubiles that have waited all their lives for you............

Followed by drunkenly staring down the freelance Ladyboys telling them they've got greats tits for a guy...........

Ending with a high speed tuk tuk ride home where your friendly driver will be happy to negotiate a discount fare for you on arrival........

There is a lot more you can do but that is sure to be a fun filled day. smile.png

• Like 2

Ignore post #2 as it's off topic and by an uniformed poster that doesn't live here and has no clue about what you are asking. Here's a few things you can do in the south: snorkle and scuba dive at Ao Sane, run and ride a bike around Nai Harn lagoon as well as the track and football field above Nai Harn, take some kitesurfing lessons ( depending on the time of year) at either Chalong Bay in high season, or at Nai Harn during low season.

• Like 2

As usual, I will probably be branded a "Phuket Basher" as well with this post, but, have you actually considered traveling a little, either in Thailand, or neighbouring countries?

Phuket International Airport is well connected. AirAsia have cheap direct flights to places like Chiang Mai and Udon Thani. From Udon, you can easily slip across the Laos boarder for a look at their capital. Places like Siam Reap (Ankor Wat) in Cambodia are spectacular.

It will not solve your day to day living boredom on Phuket, but will give you something to look forward to and give you something to plan and research, without ever being too far away from home.

• Like 2

As usual, I will probably be branded a "Phuket Basher" as well with this post, but, have you actually considered traveling a little, either in Thailand, or neighbouring countries?

Phuket International Airport is well connected. AirAsia have cheap direct flights to places like Chiang Mai and Udon Thani. From Udon, you can easily slip across the Laos boarder for a look at their capital. Places like Siam Reap (Ankor Wat) in Cambodia are spectacular.

It will not solve your day to day living boredom on Phuket, but will give you something to look forward to and give you something to plan and research, without ever being too far away from home.

Well said NKM.

You pointed out that fabulous Phuket also has an international airport with access to the world.

Few other regional centres in Thailand can say the same.

• Like 2

Literally flew back in from 2 weeks in Chiang Mai yesterday.. had a great time but my girlfriend and business is here. Slightly reluctant to go to other parts of SE Asia as I only had hep B and tetinis jabs before I left home (stupidly).... could get them done here though I guess!

Decided to spend another 6 months in Phuket and need new things to try hence the post.

To be fair the roads and infrastructure here are dire and I have many other gripes... I would rather be here than England though!

An exciting day in Phuket would be.......

Run the gauntlet of taxi drivers at the airport to get the new bus service......

Walk along any roadside with your camera bag hanging enticingly for passing motorcyclists......

A morning of cruising the waves in the highly safety conscious speedboats.......

An afternoon of testing who the best Jet Ski operator is........

An evening of cruising the wonderful value Gem shops........

Followed by negotiating with the highly trustworthy and lovely Tailors for a new suit..........

A nice drive around the island on your motorcycle, preferably in flip flops and no helmet, as you can really trust the local drivers to keep you safe.........

A night flashing your cash around at one of the high quality entertainment venues entertaining the Nubiles that have waited all their lives for you............

Followed by drunkenly staring down the freelance Ladyboys telling them they've got greats tits for a guy...........

Ending with a high speed tuk tuk ride home where your friendly driver will be happy to negotiate a discount fare for you on arrival........

There is a lot more you can do but that is sure to be a fun filled day. smile.png

• Like 1

I would recommend Koh Yao Noi, possibly taking one of the cycle tours that includes 'homestay' accommodation. Would be a good introduction to cycling also, which is a great way to see Phuket as well as improving your fitness.

There are Running Hash clubs and a Mountain Bike Hash club. Great fun and good way to meet other like minded people and have a beer with them after a good work out.

6 in Total in Phuket, http://www.phuket-hhh.com/phukethashes.shtml

I don't run as much in the past few years due to injury, but used to be a good way to meet locals and expats/locals anywhere in the world.

Phuket has so much to offer and there are already many great suggestions.

What I personally like is to explore Phuket Town with the many Chinese shrines, small bars, cafes, restaurants, museums etc.
Go hiking in the mountains, I regularly go jogging at the Bangwad Dam,
I love to drive around the many backroads of Phuket and it always surprises me where you end up and how many places there are you never thought of.
There are a lot of temples to be discovered other than the obvious Wat Chalong, try Wat Khao Rang, Wat Koh Siray, Wat Sri Soonthorn.

For islands close to Phuket, while Koh Yao Noi has been mentioned already, I have been to Koh Yao Yai a few times and it is a great place.

For some inspiration you might also want to check out some of the Phuket Blogs:

www.jamie-monk.blogspot.com/
http://www.timinphuket.blogspot.com/
http://www.phuket101.net/
http://www.phuketastic.com

I found plenty of places that I haven´t been before on these sites.

• Like 1

Just looking at the brochure - 63/53 Saiyuan 10 Moo 7. Basically UP a sideroad near farlang restaurant.

Theyve got a promo - 2700 per month, 21000 per year. I got 6 months for 12000. Nai Harn gym has their promo for 10k per year so not comparable if you pay annually but per month is around 2.5 at Nai Harn? I like Rawai gym for the money but this new place is proper luxury.

Oh, it's called Action Point and if you do sign up, tell them to sort the entrance (I have) to the soi out as it's crap if you are driving a bike.

Just joined the new gym on Soi Sayuan... VERY nice place and not much more than Naiharn Gym. inc sauna, squash and pool!

Where's the new gym on Sai Yuan? How much is it monthly?

Thanks mate :)

Phuket has so much to offer and there are already many great suggestions.

What I personally like is to explore Phuket Town with the many Chinese shrines, small bars, cafes, restaurants, museums etc.
Go hiking in the mountains, I regularly go jogging at the Bangwad Dam,
I love to drive around the many backroads of Phuket and it always surprises me where you end up and how many places there are you never thought of.
There are a lot of temples to be discovered other than the obvious Wat Chalong, try Wat Khao Rang, Wat Koh Siray, Wat Sri Soonthorn.

For islands close to Phuket, while Koh Yao Noi has been mentioned already, I have been to Koh Yao Yai a few times and it is a great place.

For some inspiration you might also want to check out some of the Phuket Blogs:

www.jamie-monk.blogspot.com/
http://www.timinphuket.blogspot.com/
http://www.phuket101.net/
http://www.phuketastic.com

I found plenty of places that I haven´t been before on these sites.

Are you after one off things to do here, or a list of hobbies you can undertake here?

Did you even read the OP's post --->

Fishing with my buddy

Buy a games console

Gym

Thai language lessons

That looks like a list to me.

Are you after one off things to do here, or a list of hobbies you can undertake here?

Did you even read the OP's post --->

Fishing with my buddy

Buy a games console

Gym

Thai language lessons

That looks like a list to me.

Of course I read his post and his list.

I was going to make the suggestion he attend the many festivals held here, throughout the year, as "one off" events, but the list tended to indicate he was after hobbies, with four things on his list having a sport theme.

Just requested some clarification.

One thing I did a couple of months ago was fly a kite. Yes, a strange thing to do, but I hadn't flown a kit in over 30 years. It took me back to when I was kid. It was a cheap way to kill a few hours.

Edited by NamKangMan

Not sure anywhere's particularly safe around here in the early morn, is it?

we just got mountain bikes and me and the missus go around nai harn lake every morning and we're loving it

The Nai Harn lake area is not the safest place in the early morning,

Be careful out there and the lake is a bit of a cesspool at times as well

Cool - good suggestion - bought a DSLR a while back but the thing confused me with all the settings. Do really need to start using it but think I need to buy a better zoom lens

I'm not really interested in touristy, one off stuff like going to the zoo, so yeah, hobbies I guess.

Photography. There's some good photo op's on Phuket.