Feature wallpaper - decorator required

BaldPlumber

Hi all

I have a condo, to which I need two walls decorated with a feature wallpaper, which I am supplying. It is hard to imagine an easier job. If I were doing it I would estimate it would take me 3 hours, but a professional maybe 2. The actual coverage is about 2.5 rolls as one of the walls has a ginormous mirror on it which does not need to be removed.

I had a quote and was surprised at the cost - 4K baht for less than half a days work. I have no objection to paying the guys day rate, but do decorators really earn this much per day? The only cost involved is the paste, which I'm assuming doesn't have flecks of Thai gold mixed in.

I've hung 100's of rolls of paper and believe me, this is an easy job. I'm not a complete tight arse, but it would annoy me everytime time I looked at the walls if I paid this much, knowing I had had my pants taken down.

My options are to bring the gear over to do the job myself on my next visit (can't find the stuff I need here) or find someone more reasonable.

Anyone know anyone?

sent from a device, over the interweb and arriving at a screen near you.

i have wallpapered before in an old house to cover bad walls

i bought the 42 rolls of paper from a shop on theprassit road

the installation by their in house decorator was included in the price

he may do jobs on the side

Thanks for that, but I have decided to do it myself. The paper is a very expensive Italian one and, on reflection, it deserves better than some random decorator who may or may not know what he's doing. So, it can wait a few months. Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.

I don't think wall paper is used a lot here, so maybe whoever you spoke to just jacked up the price because they didn't like to say no? I have a feeling that's quite common in Thailand.

Most "Quality" Hotels have wallpaper......I stayed in the Pullman in Bkk yesterday and the rooms were totally wall-papered

But maybe you are right the average Thai wouldn't know which was the right way up

Surely if you've hung hundreds of rolls of paper yourself,you could easily do it without bringing anything over to do the job.

You don't know much about this sort of thing do you?
Being a qualified decorator,yes,I rather think I do,

I don't think so. Never mind mate, troll away if it makes you happy.