Happiest countries in the world. Thailand rathed 36th / 156

grimblegrumble

notice how iraq is happier than laos by a few places.

ever been to singapore on chinese new year? all the singaporeans in the street wishing each other a happy new year and no one so much as cracks even a smile. singapore is rated considerably higher than the ever smiling thais. compare thai new year = songkran water screaming barbarism. 555

one wonders what these UN staffers actually do know about happiness. perhaps if they did a ranking on corruption and offshore tax free hidden bank accounts it would be more up their alley.

Edited by uneducated rural rabble
  • Like 2

ever been to singapore on chinese new year? all the singaporeans in the street wishing each other a happy new year and no one so much as cracks even a smile. singapore is rated considerably higher than the ever smiling thais. compare thai new year = songkran water screaming barbarism. 555

one wonders what these UN staffers actually do know about happiness. perhaps if they did a ranking on corruption and offshore tax free hidden bank accounts it would be more up their alley.

Thailand is great in almost all ways,they smile from the top to the bottom in nearly every way

Yes, because smiling = happiness.

Man are ye new to Thailand. biggrin.png

A big no mate.

Thailand is great in almost all ways,they smile from the top to the bottom in nearly every way

Yes, because smiling = happiness.

Man are ye new to Thailand. biggrin.png

A big no mate.

Sure. You were trying to find out how many 15 day border runs you could do only a few months ago as you were almost maxed out with 4. :D

Why dont you read the report instead? Most of your questions are answered and addresses in detail. For instance, perception of corruption is one of the parameters used to define and measure happiness.

http://unsdsn.org/files/2013/09/WorldHappinessReport2013_online.pdf

Frankly, I am convinced the UN "staffers" knows lot about measuring happiness.

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

Why would a bunch of men ( and lets be honest here TVF is predominantly men), agree with a survey that ranks the country they ran to lower than the country they ran from?

Agree. No shortage of folk from Northern Europe in LOS, but according to the survey they should be 'super happy' back home. I wonder how happy they would be in Oslo or Gothenburg in January ? Much happier on a golf course in Hua Hin, methinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Sweden

According to a 2011 article in The New York Times, "Numerous studies have shown that places like Denmark and Sweden that consistently score high on measures of happiness and life satisfaction also have relatively high suicide rates." Said article also reported, "Some social scientists speculate that the trends are probably unrelated and can be explained by regional factors like dark winters or cultural differences regarding suicide.

Where Muang Thai is concerned, equating smiles as happiness is a classic newbie mistake.

I think it was intended as a (lame) attempt at humor - the implication being that a Thai girl has more than one set of lips to smile with. Must have been a real rib-splitter with the rest of the 5th Grade.

Canada should be number 1 - but I'm happier here .....

6-8 months of winter. Surprised it's not a lot lower down the list actually. Same with the nordic countries. I've been there and they don't look all that happy to me. I don't think "happy" is the correct word. More like less worried about basic survival because the top countries all have the best social safety nets. Free healthcare and things like that.

Edited by lapd

Mexico is a very happy place, living in terror of being decapitated in many regions.

I wondered about that as well. If Mexicans are happier than Americans (or so says the survey), why is so many fleeing to the USA?

What's odd to me is that I've read "happiness surveys" in the past and recall one year the happiest people were Belgians, and another year, the Filipinos. According to this list, Belgians are now 21 and Filipinos down to 92. I guess happiness can be fleeting.

Personally I am happier to be content with my lot. I cannot see how people can be happy all the time unless they are ready for the asylum. There do seem to be a lot of anomalies. So many farang in Thailand grumping = happiness? blink.png Yet the general Thai population always seemed relatively happy with their lot. Possibly that is down to lower expectations from life.

Why would a bunch of men ( and lets be honest here TVF is predominantly men), agree with a survey that ranks the country they ran to lower than the country they ran from?

Agree. No shortage of folk from Northern Europe in LOS, but according to the survey they should be 'super happy' back home. I wonder how happy they would be in Oslo or Gothenburg in January ? Much happier on a golf course in Hua Hin, methinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Sweden

According to a 2011 article in The New York Times, "Numerous studies have shown that places like Denmark and Sweden that consistently score high on measures of happiness and life satisfaction also have relatively high suicide rates." Said article also reported, "Some social scientists speculate that the trends are probably unrelated and can be explained by regional factors like dark winters or cultural differences regarding suicide.

Could that mean they are the happiest when they are happy ( 1 - 2 days every summer)? After which they return to being the most... suicidal?