Entering Australia with an ATO Tax Debt

OP,

In all likelihood, you won't have a problem unless you have

outstanding warrants.

For a stock standard tax debt, no probs at all.

BTW, when you mean stopped I assume you mean arrested?

If you mean entering, Australian citizens cannot be prevented

from entering Aust.

Edited by Will27

I think the OP means coming back into OZ, for a tax debt, that might be substantial, that perhaps accumulated without his knowledge, or he..errrrr....forgot to pay it in full when he hurriedly left Australia.

Will he be clapped in irons as he returns to Australia's sunny shores!?

Stay tuned!

Edited by BookMan

I don't get it. Doesnt make sense. I think you mean stopped leaving Australia? Yes they can. Friend of mine was told by ato he couldn't leave.

Speaking of such things. I know of someone who apparently can't leave Australia until he back-pays two years of child support blink.png

Thanks for the answers so far. I want to transit through Australia. I am a NZ citizen with Australian residency. I also have an outstanding tax debt with the ATO. I have no judgments against my name that I am aware of.

As you're transiting through - that is, not going through customs - Australia, you'll be unlikely to set off any alarms, unless they're members of TVF and are using NSA intrusion techniques, then who knows where in the outback you'll end up...

Sorry, sometimes the aluminium isn't strong enough :P

Is it a sizeable tax debt?

I don't get it. Doesnt make sense. I think you mean stopped leaving Australia? Yes they can. Friend of mine was told by ato he couldn't leave.

Speaking of such things. I know of someone who apparently can't leave Australia until he back-pays two years of child support blink.png

That's a real common one.

I can just see it now. The guy off to Bali with the new girlfriend getting stopped at

departures at the airportfacepalm.gif

• Like 1

I can just see it now. The guy off to Bali with the new girlfriend getting stopped at

In theory they wouldn't have the money to travel if they couldn't afford child support.

ATO has been spending high millions on improving its data matching abilities across government agencies, so who knows what reach they have now.

• Like 1

Although his dispute was long-running and ongoing, Paul Hogan had no issue whatsoever with entering the country. However, after he had arrived the ATO took out a court order banning him from travel. (His case may be slightly different because he was refusing to pay it).

Agree with Thanyaburi Mac - I'm sure they'll be more than happy to see you back.

Although his dispute was long-running and ongoing, Paul Hogan had no issue whatsoever with entering the country. However, after he had arrived the ATO took out a court order banning him from travel. (His case may be slightly different because he was refusing to pay it).

Agree with Thanyaburi Mac - I'm sure they'll be more than happy to see you back.

Somehow, I doubt that the OP's tax bill was 150 million dollars like Hoges' was reported to bebiggrin.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for someone in the same situation as myself.

As advised, no problem transitting or entering Australia.

If you give people some more info about your tax debt, you should

be able to get some advice.

Regards

Will

The only reason you would be stopped and questioned on arrival (apart from normal Immigration or Customs queries) would be if your name was on the Alerts list.

Names on this list are usually for Immigration, Customs, or Police matters. If ATO placed all their debtors on the list it would become unworkable. If there has been a successful prosecution against you for a very large fraud, Police may have placed you on the list.

I got stopped in Perth last year for no seat belt. The ticket was redirected to the UK and I wrote back asking if I could go to court and would they extradite if I did not appear.

I got a nice reply saying the ticket was cancelled but don't do it next time.

The cancelling of passports for sins such as not paying child support is a great idea.

The lucky countrythumbsup.gif

I got stopped in Perth last year for no seat belt. The ticket was redirected to the UK and I wrote back asking if I could go to court and would they extradite if I did not appear.

The cancelling of passports for sins such as not paying child support is a great idea.

Did the Police follow you up in the UK for a traffic ticket?!!

Or, was your mail re-directed by friends or relatives?

• Like 1

In theory they wouldn't have the money to travel if they couldn't afford child support.

ATO has been spending high millions on improving its data matching abilities across government agencies, so who knows what reach they have now.

There have been many arrests of people transiting UK airports, I would presume the authorities insist all airlines provide a full electronic passenger manifest giving Name, DOB, nationality, PP number, ticketing info, in advance of any international flight landing.

It would be easy to run this information through any "wanted" data base.

Did the Police follow you up in the UK for a traffic ticket?!!

Or, was your mail re-directed by friends or relatives?

I'd just sold a property in Cottesloe on the beach, turned up a side street, they nabbed me and I gave them my address in the UK.

Forgot all about it until I got back and to be honest if they had said they still wanted the cash I would have posted a cheque.

I just sent a tongue in cheek letter letter and they were good natured about.

By the way I was in the wrong and I always wear my belt now.

Nothing wrong with Oz I love the country.

Australian citizen = can enter

Non-citizen = will be stopped and asked to pay the debt or entry will be denied

Yeah right!

I don't know where you dug that little nugget up.

Denied on what grounds may I ask?

Outstanding debt to the commonwealth is grounds for denying entry.

Yeah right!

Can you provide a link to that information because I don't think it's correct.

Yeah right!

Outstanding Debts to the Commonwealth

The first result answers your question.

Yes, anyone who owes for Immigration detention or deportation costs will be placed on the alert list and won't be granted another visa until the debt is repaid.

As indicated before, every minor debtor to agencies like ATO would not be on the list.

Yes, anyone who owes for Immigration detention or deportation costs will be placed on the alert list and won't be granted another visa until the debt is repaid.

As indicated before, every minor debtor to agencies like ATO would not be on the list.

If they're on the alert list, they shouldn't be able to get a visa in the first place. So not sure how

they would have their visa cancelled and be refused entry.

Also, OP asked about a tax debt so no way would he be refused entry.

It's one thing to have a visa refused and another to be refused entry as wprime has said.

Edited by Will27

what the OP was asking would anyone be stopped going into Australia, but then in post #10 he says he will be transiting, he is NZ with Aus residency.

So I suppose it is will he get tugged, ie as he leaves the plane (or boards his connecting flight) as I assume he will be remaining airside and not subject to customs or immigration checks?

Australia has no power to stop an Australian citizen from entering Australia, but the Australian Tax Office can certainly stop you from leaving again via a Departure Prohibitiion Order:

http://law.ato.gov.au/pdf/rmp/rp0013v6.pdf

There was a famous case where Paul Hogan visited Australia to attend his mother's funeral and was prevented from leaving by the ATO:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/paul-hogan-trapped-in-australia-by-ato-after-his-mothers-funeral/story-e6freuy9-1225910139427

Outstanding child support can also lead to departure prohibition:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/corporate/freedom-of-information/resources/operational-information/child-support/departure-prohibition-orders-procedural-instruction.pdf

Edited by Thanet