Khaosod English clarifies usage of "stupid bitch"

webfact

It's pretty clear that the usual PTP/red-shirt supporters are anything from horrified to critical of Abhisit - a SNAFU.

If he said what the biased interpreters & translators are saying - good on him, it really is about time he got down & dirty and started issuing a few home truths about the PTP, especially the controlling family. I could suggest a few far worse phrases that would accurately describe the leader.

It's a real storm in a teacup and a good distraction from getting visas on arrival in Montenegro.

It would indeed just be a storm in a teacup if insults and expletives, filibustering or throwing chairs in parliament, were the only events that we can argue about. Unfortunately though these just go hand in hand with accusations voiced on stages that the Red Shirts and the government were disrespectful to the monarchy (Suthep, Nipit Intarasomboon, etc), comparisons of Thailand's situation with Egypt and that Thais should stand up in the hundred thousands as in Egypt (O-tone Sathit Wongnongtoey).

At the same time the with the Democrat Party openly allied PEFOT (or "People's Army") in Lumpini Park drew in vocational college students known for their violence, last Sunday about 1000 students came in a show to "protect the monarchy". The Sunday before the same students already attacked a Red Shirt caravan. Also it is quite clear the Democrat Party in strongly supporting the rubber protesters in the south (just watch Blue Sky, and you will understand that this is far beyond a normal political and issue-based support).

While i still have difficulties to believe that the Democrat Party will be successful with their aim of ousting the government this way, it is quite clear though that the Democrat Party is attempting or intending to get rid of the government by any means, and whatever the cost. While i am rather sure that you applaude this, i am quite concerned. But then - different than you, i will be in the middle of the resulting chaos and not just watch it from the safety of sitting behind the screen.

And apart from that, i would wish that the Democrat Party would concentrate on winning elections, as any other way of getting rid of an elected, and therefore internationally supported government would cause enormous social and economical instability. The shortsightedness of this tactic is that even if the DP would succeed in overthrowing this government - sooner or later it will come back to elections, which the DP is simply not ready to win without major internal changes. By insulting their opponents and accusing them of being disrespectful to the monarchy the DP will not be able to away PT supporters into voting for the DP - the history of the past 8 years has quite clearly proven that.

I can only see blind hatred there, as expressed through the DP's increasing rudeness both on their stages and inside parliament.

Also it is quite clear the Democrat Party in strongly supporting the rubber protesters in the south

Is that bad? If they wouldn't do that you would probably say: "The Dems don't even care about the rubber farmers in the south"

I asked you a few times why the government backtracked (within a week or so) from reducing the rice pledging price from THB 15,000 to 12,000. You still didn't answer that one. Maybe now you can?

"While i still have difficulties to believe that the Democrat Party will be successful with their aim of ousting the government this way, it is quite clear though that the Democrat Party is attempting or intending to get rid of the government by any means, and whatever the cost. While i am rather sure that you applaud this, i am quite concerned. But then - different than you, i will be in the middle of the resulting chaos and not just watch it from the safety of sitting behind the screen"

And pray tell us in your wisdom,what is the job of the opposition,if not to oust the present government, didn't you know this happens all over the world ?' "You don't have to be in the middle of the resulting chaos" just resign,and find a job more in harmony,with your talents!

If you believe that the job of the opposition in a democracy is to oust the government by any means, than your understanding of democratic processes is quite lacking.

And me resigning from what - being a freelancer? Hardly possibly. It is my own choice, and a question of what i see as my duty - a rather outmoded concept nowadays, but nevertheless - a concept i take quite serious.

I agree with the above - it's more like 'stupid woman'. Khaosod is trying not only to inflame the situation, but back-pedalling and trying to justify its words. They could do with a decent translator and English speaker on their staff.

On who's staff?

I think "stupid f bitch" is the closest translation.

You are correct.It's the closest English equivalent."Stupid woman" does not covey the gutter language involved.

Interestingly the other paper is now using the correct English version

Re. some of the above comments, it was a response to the YL "Smart Women" contest proposal and is roughly along the lines of, would a one legged man enter an arse kicking contest?

No matter how you read it, at no point does it infer that the contest organiser only has one leg.

And for you linguistic experts of either language, explain the difference between smart and cunning?

Also it is quite clear the Democrat Party in strongly supporting the rubber protesters in the south

Is that bad? If they wouldn't do that you would probably say: "The Dems don't even care about the rubber farmers in the south"

I asked you a few times why the government backtracked (within a week or so) from reducing the rice pledging price from THB 15,000 to 12,000. You still didn't answer that one. Maybe now you can?

I do not pretend to understand much about economic issues. Therefore i will not get too deeply into the merits regarding subsidies for agricultural products, or which and how much should be subsidized. Therefore - i am the wrong person to ask this question. I can't answer this question. I usually only talk about things i understand.

This post confirms again that you have no opinion on anything PT/Thaksin/Red Shirts/Yingluck.

And you claim to be neutral? Let's just leave it here.

I think I know enough about nicknostitz.

<<<< Off topic obfuscation comments have been edited out. When posting, please keep your comments related to the subject of the topic at hand and kindly resist from posting off topic obfuscation comments which tend to drag the topic further off topic.>>>>

Anyhow, back to the topic - yesterday on their Don Muang stage Abhisit continued with indirect snide insults against Yingluck in gutter language ("ee ngoh", "galee", and "raet"), and Suthep directly called Yingluck "tolae" and "raet".

Edited by metisdead

If the ex-PM can call Yingluck "STUPID BITCH" so can we.

Stu... Bit.., Stu... Bit.., Stu... Bit.., ......

I regret to inform you, but you may not.

Fair enough. But from the stupidity of the outright lies she tells on the world stage on behalf of her convict brother she is one.

For yet another thought-provoking perspective on this subject I highly suggest a read of the article Thailand’s Stupidity Politics.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/113374/thailands-stupidity-politics/

Offhanded stupid remarks from politicians who, by education alone, should know better will not help a political party facing an ever-shrinking base and stature, especially in an ever more connected Thailand.

I do not pretend to understand much about economic issues. Therefore i will not get too deeply into the merits regarding subsidies for agricultural products, or which and how much should be subsidized. Therefore - i am the wrong person to ask this question. I can't answer this question. I usually only talk about things i understand.

This post confirms again that you have no opinion on anything PT/Thaksin/Red Shirts/Yingluck.

And you claim to be neutral? Let's just leave it here.

I think I know enough about nicknostitz.

On the contrary - i have a lot of opinions on the topics regarding Thaksin/PT/Red Shirts and Yingluck.

But you always run with the rosy one ;) good boy.

Just asked around in my office and people tend to believe that Khaosad is Pro PT. Let me investigate further. Personally I have never heard them criticize Yingluck's performance.

The explanation they are now giving is even rubbing it in more. I hope you are right and that this is neutral reporting. That would be interesting.

The Democrat Party accuses both Matichon and Khao Sod of being "bought" by Thaksin. This makes coverage of Democrat Party stages and protests by journalists from these papers and affiliated cable TV stations very dangerous. They have to remove any insignia from their papers before working there.

Both papers, but especially Khao Sod, have earned the wreath of the Democrat Party after the 2010 mess, when they made an editorial decision in the immediate aftermath of Rajaprasong to accurately report on the deaths of the protesters, which most other media outlets have avoided to. Also now, Khao Sod covers the court inquests into the 2010 deaths closer than any other paper, and sends reporters to most cases, which are often ignored by most other papers, or only mentioned at the sentencing day.

It was also part motivation, as was explained to me, in Khao Sod introducing their English language website, as they did not want to leave the field of English language local news anymore solely to the Post and the Nation, which have at times both a very strong pro-establishment slant. I am very glad about Khao Sod's English language version as it gives a counter position in the traditional local media now also accessible to foreigners.

So are they Pro red, neutral or Pro yellow?

They're pro-establishment, ie pro-PT/Shinawatra and not any more 'factual' than Thai Rath.

Just asked around in my office and people tend to believe that Khaosad is Pro PT. Let me investigate further. Personally I have never heard them criticize Yingluck's performance.

The explanation they are now giving is even rubbing it in more. I hope you are right and that this is neutral reporting. That would be interesting.

The Democrat Party accuses both Matichon and Khao Sod of being "bought" by Thaksin. This makes coverage of Democrat Party stages and protests by journalists from these papers and affiliated cable TV stations very dangerous. They have to remove any insignia from their papers before working there.

Both papers, but especially Khao Sod, have earned the wreath of the Democrat Party after the 2010 mess, when they made an editorial decision in the immediate aftermath of Rajaprasong to accurately report on the deaths of the protesters, which most other media outlets have avoided to. Also now, Khao Sod covers the court inquests into the 2010 deaths closer than any other paper, and sends reporters to most cases, which are often ignored by most other papers, or only mentioned at the sentencing day.

It was also part motivation, as was explained to me, in Khao Sod introducing their English language website, as they did not want to leave the field of English language local news anymore solely to the Post and the Nation, which have at times both a very strong pro-establishment slant. I am very glad about Khao Sod's English language version as it gives a counter position in the traditional local media now also accessible to foreigners.

They're pro-establishment, ie pro-PT/Shinawatra and not any more 'factual' than Thai Rath.

If true so what are the Democrats afraid of?

Are they afraid of being mis-quoted?

Or maybe worse:

Are they afraid of being quoted and put up on You tube?

Worse still:

Are they truly afraid that Khaosod english will post an english translation?

The evil within eh?

Whose paranoid?

• Like 1

Given that PT hardly represents the establishment in Thailand (the Democrats' ultra-conservative position does to a far larger decree), the notion that Khao Sod would be pro-establishment is quite a faulty assumption.

What is undeniable is the ignorance of the PM regarding geography.

According to the PM

Had Yai is a province.

Singburi is next to the sea.

Sydney is a country.

I guess I'm old fashioned but I do think the PM of a country should be knowledgeable enough not to make the basic errors mentioned above.

You have Thai language sources, that you understand , for this ??

Please cite them.

Or are you regurgitating the Nation ?

Edited by philw

Politicians and people in the media need to be aware and concerned about 'disinformation spin' along faux-bigotry lines, such as currently be seen in the US where anybody criticising Obama for virtually anything is immediately branded a 'racist' even though the criticisms can be about anything from housing or bombing Syria etc. The powers that be have realised that the left-liberal media play political-correctness as the Holy Grail of human evolution, and governments are hijacking it to bury real news stories under a deluge of "was it sexist" and "was it racist" debates about nothing, which derail discussion on important matters of state, and crimes committed by the government in question. It seems that Abhisit said something about her being a stupid woman or something similar, I honestly don't know because I haven't heard it, its not a big deal really compared to the problems that Thailand's underclass is facing on a daily basis. But in the West, the social surgeons who really do play the media like a mandolin, will use anything like this to launch an outraged debate across all medias, and sit back laughing as people stop talking about the actual critically important issues that face the nation. I don't think Thailand has reached that point yet, but it should be aware of how these people operate and how they milk political correctness like its a prize-winning Jersey cow.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Given that PT hardly represents the establishment in Thailand (the Democrats' ultra-conservative position does to a far larger decree), the notion that Khao Sod would be pro-establishment is quite a faulty assumption.

Depends on your point of view. New money has won out over old money in this country, in my accounting of the facts, so I would call PT and the red tide the new establishment.

The Democrat Party is now the opposition party, with little chance of unseating the current political establishment. To think that the Dems do would be a 'faulty assumption' or more clearly understood, a logical fallacy.

• Like 1

Depends on your point of view. New money has won out over old money in this country, in my accounting of the facts, so I would call PT and the red tide the new establishment.

The Democrat Party is now the opposition party, with little chance of unseating the current political establishment. To think that the Dems do would be a 'faulty assumption' or more clearly understood, a logical fallacy.

There can be no rational argument that the Phua Thai and cohorts are not the establishment.

From wikipedia "The establishment is a term used to refer to a visible dominant group or elite that holds power or authority in a nation or organization. The term suggests a closed social group which selects its own members (as opposed to selection by inheritance, merit or election)."

That the Phua Thai stands for nepotism, cronyism, double standards, erosion of law and order, end to jusicial checks and balances, corruption and are led/owned by an unelected billionaire fugitive from justice further reinforces their position as bastions of the establishment. The democrat party are positively progressive by comparison, and any attempt to argue otherwise can be attributed only to having swallowed the lies and expensive propaganda campaigns that the Phua Thai have, and continue to, propagate.

Unseating this establishment will be a hugely difficult task, proved by the extreme violence used against the Abhisit govt which came to power by ordinary democratic means. A future election win by the democrats or any other opposing party will be met by more of the same. The theories of NN above are nonsensical emotional rantings without a shred of factual evidence to back them up.

As for this snipers bizarre testimony that he was firing blanks, I can think of three possibilities. He wanted to make himself look stupid, he wanted to make the army look stupid, or he was under order to give this ridiculous testimony to further muddy the waters surrounding the red riots for Phua Thai's benefit. The last option is of course the most likely.

Your assumption would be correct if Thailand would have similar structures as in developed countries. What is significant in Thailand is though that this system of power distribution can be described as double polity and no clear separation between the institutions. The elections have not changed the the structural faults that led to and enabled the 2006 coup, and therefore we cannot really say that the present government is actually in power, but is allowed to be in government. McCargo for example describes the present configuration as "the opposition is presently in government".

Your description of new money having won over old money is faulty on two points - one being that the struggle still continues, and has by far not "won", but has entered in a fragile temporary arrangement. Secondly - the attempts of trying to describe the present struggle simply as "old money vs. new money" ignore many important aspects of this conflict, especially the inner mechanics of the different groups in conflict with each other. I am aware that a small group of long term journalists here propose this notion, but their reasoning is faulty as they selectively use facts that support their ideas, yet completely ignore facts that support a more diversified view on this conflict. If you look how nowadays most eminent scholars (Nelson, McCargo, Hewison, Pasuk and Baker, Winitchakul, etc.) describe this conflict, you will find out a far more realistic analyses.

Therefore, describing the present situation as PT being the establishment while the DP being the opposition is a simplistic and faulty analyses, which ignores Thai structural specifics.

• Like 1

There can be no rational argument that the Phua Thai and cohorts are not the establishment.

From wikipedia "The establishment is a term used to refer to a visible dominant group or elite that holds power or authority in a nation or organization. The term suggests a closed social group which selects its own members (as opposed to selection by inheritance, merit or election)."

That the Phua Thai stands for nepotism, cronyism, double standards, erosion of law and order, end to jusicial checks and balances, corruption and are led/owned by an unelected billionaire fugitive from justice further reinforces their position as bastions of the establishment. The democrat party are positively progressive by comparison, and any attempt to argue otherwise can be attributed only to having swallowed the lies and expensive propaganda campaigns that the Phua Thai have, and continue to, propagate.

Unseating this establishment will be a hugely difficult task, proved by the extreme violence used against the Abhisit govt which came to power by ordinary democratic means. A future election win by the democrats or any other opposing party will be met by more of the same. The theories of NN above are nonsensical emotional rantings without a shred of factual evidence to back them up.

As for this snipers bizarre testimony that he was firing blanks, I can think of three possibilities. He wanted to make himself look stupid, he wanted to make the army look stupid, or he was under order to give this ridiculous testimony to further muddy the waters surrounding the red riots for Phua Thai's benefit. The last option is of course the most likely.

Describing the Democrat Party as 'progressive' - even just in comparison - is hilarious. I would strongly suggest to watch their TV station, Blue Sky TV, and listen to the ideas proposed there, and on their stages.

Using rude language against the PM does not make one progressive...

You should read the wikipedia (really!) quote before concluding from it. The PT were chosen to lead the country by an election held under the control of their opponents. I think mos Thai people including a fair number who don support the Yinguck administration could give you a long list of groups that would actually be included under that definition. Mos people in this country know the unelected groups that control power. It is not really a secret. I also do not think you will find too many people who will be able to keep a straight face at the notion that PT may be able to influence the evidence given by serving snipers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your assumption would be correct if Thailand would have similar structures as in developed countries. What is significant in Thailand is though that this system of power distribution can be described as double polity and no clear separation between the institutions. The elections have not changed the the structural faults that led to and enabled the 2006 coup, and therefore we cannot really say that the present government is actually in power, but is allowed to be in government. McCargo for example describes the present configuration as "the opposition is presently in government".

Your description of new money having won over old money is faulty on two points - one being that the struggle still continues, and has by far not "won", but has entered in a fragile temporary arrangement. Secondly - the attempts of trying to describe the present struggle simply as "old money vs. new money" ignore many important aspects of this conflict, especially the inner mechanics of the different groups in conflict with each other. I am aware that a small group of long term journalists here propose this notion, but their reasoning is faulty as they selectively use facts that support their ideas, yet completely ignore facts that support a more diversified view on this conflict. If you look how nowadays most eminent scholars (Nelson, McCargo, Hewison, Pasuk and Baker, Winitchakul, etc.) describe this conflict, you will find out a far more realistic analyses.

Therefore, describing the present situation as PT being the establishment while the DP being the opposition is a simplistic and faulty analyses, which ignores Thai structural specifics.

And here we have the difference between a structuralist (favoring deterministic structural forces) versus a functionalist (examining the abilities of people to act) approach to political science.

If what you suggest is true, the election of PT is ultimately meaningless.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but abhisit didn't actually mention her name in the sentence where this word was mentioned,, from where I see it everyone is putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5 ,,, possibly the lady isn't doing herself any favours and thus guiding everyone to come up with 4,,,, does that make sense?

NO'P, YOUR WRONG...

take a look at the context that it was said in, then apply it to a woman that you love said in a public forum be wife mother sister or daughter,,,

and please use a fair and open mind,

now with that how do you feel?

at the end of the day he said it, and if he is man enough then he should put his hand up and either stand by his words or apologise,

and the PM is well within her right to sue for this,

And here we have the difference between a structuralist (favoring deterministic structural forces) versus a functionalist (examining the abilities of people to act) approach to political science.

If what you suggest is true, the election of PT is ultimately meaningless.

When i looked up some of these terms in order to give a suitable answer i found a lovely quote: "...functionalism is now dead as a dodo". Structuralism, post-structuralism, functionalism, modernism, post-modernism, conflict theories (possible most suitable here...), and whatever other theories and frames there are is not really at debate here, but a far more mundane issue: access to and acceptance of facts.

If we stick solely with the topic of the thread - the insult with which Abhisit titled Yingluck with - you can see that some here argue that Abhisit hasn't insulted Yingluck (he has, and the following week he used even harsher terms), that it wasn't really as bad an insult as Khao Sod interpreted it (it was that bad, just because there is no literal translation into English doesn't mean that it wasn't extremely rude).

Acceptance of facts? We are far away from that, and as long as elementary facts are disputed (and people who try to communicate those are discredited left and right, mostly by the ones who have only access to third hand information...), any of your theoretical models are nothing but intellectual flatulence in terms of analyzing the Red/Yellow conflict.

The election of PT meaningless or not? Both.

The process of the election was very meaningful as it represented agency, the PT government in itself is meaningless as long as it cannot change structures of the state - a fact that is freely admitted by the more progressive PT politicians, by the way. But we are in the middle of a very fluid conflict which is far beyond two political parties struggling for power.

A stupid bitch?

Stupid is stupid = no lie

A bitch is a female dog and the only thing that may be offensive is the comparison with a dog, but related to the Thai Buddhist perspective towards re-incarnation it may be seen as a compliment whistling.gif

Um mate, you do know the PM was a successful business woman before politics,,, so "stupid" NO'P it's just not right, just you have another view of running the country with all your years experience in the gig yeah!!!

sounds to me that he is bitch'in cause he lost the big gig, (PM), like I said if he's man enough, stand by your words or shut you cake hole cry'n like a BE-ARCH...

cheerzwhistling.gif

A stupid bitch?

Stupid is stupid = no lie

A bitch is a female dog and the only thing that may be offensive is the comparison with a dog, but related to the Thai Buddhist perspective towards re-incarnation it may be seen as a compliment whistling.gif

Um mate, you do know the PM was a successful business woman before politics,,, so "stupid" NO'P it's just not right, just you have another view of running the country with all your years experience in the gig yeah!!!

sounds to me that he is bitch'in cause he lost the big gig, (PM), like I said if he's man enough, stand by your words or shut you cake hole cry'n like a BE-ARCH...

cheerzwhistling.gif

blink.png