Extension of Stay - K-Bank Refuses to Update Passbook on Fixed Deposit Acct

Are there any options in your online banking to print off some sort of statement for your FD accounts?

Interesting question. Yes, you can download a statement. But, if there are no transactions, you can't get a statement.

I have two K-Bank accounts. A normal savings account which I use for day to day expenditures. I download a statement for that account every month. But, for the FD accounts I can get a statement only for months in which there has been a transaction.

Just like the passbook update.

I like the "losing the book" idea, but then I would also lose the continuity from one account to the next. I'm sure the new book would only include the current account.

Frankly, I don't think it's a matter of rules. I think their system just refuses to update a passbook (or download a statement) if there have been no transactions.

Bad software.

Time for many beers....

• Like 1

k bank just lost a customer i would hope

On everything else they've have been very good.

It took years for Bangkok Bank to give me online banking.

With K-Bank I had it the day I opened the account. And, their online banking is quite good.

So, I will continue to use them in that way.

However, large fixed deposits are going elsewhere....

Are there any options in your online banking to print off some sort of statement for your FD accounts? 

I know Scb don't have anything like that. The last FD account I started was for 13 months and this time the interest was paid into a regular account every 3 months.......weird. The last few times before that it was paid at the end of the fixed term.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It does appear to be bad software - but they can manually update as I have had them do when machine would not do due to no updates for more than a year by making a 0.00 TRD (transfer deposit transaction) for a previous date (in may case almost six months back). This was a standard passbook account but know they tell people using them they can not do. In this case it was done by direction of bank manager at Chiang Watanna branch due to automatic update machine not accepting (was not needed for immigration). It did take the lady about five minutes of computer operation to get it done so understand why they say 'no can do'.

I've decided not to chance it. No reason to drive all the way to Immigration tomorrow only to get bad news.

I'll go to Bangkok next week, get the expensive income letter and the visit immigration with what I know is a sure thing.

Since moving here I've really turned in to an Inflexible, cranky old man....

• Like 1

I don't see why you cannot make a deposit. I do it quite often.

It just shows a different deposit with the date of interest being paid.

There is a total at the bottom.

Unless KB have different fixed Accounts to other banks

I have had fixed term deposits with at least 4 Thai banks including K-Bank. None allowed me to add anything at all to the initial sum during the term of the deposit.

So it sounds like your branch is just being awkward.

No kidding. The lady swung her monitor around so I could see it: "No transaction, no update!"

My branch does it for me without me even asking so I don't know why you are having trouble. But in my branch there does seem to be an endless stream of farang customers.

I suspect that you would find life much easier if you opened your next account at a branch where many customers are farangs. A friend of mine spent two days trying to open a bank account here, without success, until on my suggestion he went to my branch where they did it in about 15 minutes.

My branch does it for me without me even asking so I don't know why you are having trouble. But in my branch there does seem to be an endless stream of farang customers.

I suspect that you would find life much easier if you opened your next account at a branch where many customers are farangs. A friend of mine spent two days trying to open a bank account here, without success, until on my suggestion he went to my branch where they did it in about 15 minutes.

My branch is at The Mall in Korat. I don't think there is any branch within 2 or 300 kilometers that has more Farang than that branch.

Gosh, I think I would still give the extension application a try at your immigration...you just may be pleasantly surprised immigration is OK with your passbook and you won't have to make a trip to Bangkok. Plus, assuming your Korat K-Bank is doing the same thing for other farangs in your situation, I don't remember seeing any posts identifying this K-bank fixed account issue as being an issue with immigration....maybe because immigration is fully aware of the issue. Yeap, I think I would still go attempt the extension before making the trek to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok.

• Like 1

OK Pib. Valid points. I'll give it a shot. My wife says the same thing.

Good luck...I think you will be OK...and get to avoid the visit to Bangkok. Heck, I live in Bangkok and when I use to do the embassy income letter thing (I now do the bank letter/Bt800K in the bank thing) I use to not-enjoy going to the embassy...and definitely didn't like paying $50/Bt1600 for the income letter when the Bangkok Bank letter only costs Bt100 which I will be paying for either tomorrow morning or Friday morning when I go apply for my yearly extension.

I have a fix account with Bangkok Bank and if I do a update of my book it just shows the same amount I started with. Did you try to update it yourself at one of those update saving book machines.

Yes, I did. The Kasikorn Bank fixed deposit books don't fit in the normal Passbook Update machines.

OK Pib. Valid points. I'll give it a shot. My wife says the same thing.

Good luck...I think you will be OK...and get to avoid the visit to Bangkok. Heck, I live in Bangkok and when I use to do the embassy income letter thing (I now do the bank letter/Bt800K in the bank thing) I use to not-enjoy going to the embassy...and definitely didn't like paying $50/Bt1600 for the income letter when the Bangkok Bank letter only costs Bt100 which I will be paying for either tomorrow morning or Friday morning when I go apply for my yearly extension.

I have to go to Bangkok anyway next week to see my dermatologist, so adding the embassy would be a cost, but not that much of a hassle.

Anyway, I will try Immigration tomorrow. If it's a fail, I'll get the income letter.

I have had fixed term deposits with at least 4 Thai banks including K-Bank. None allowed me to add anything at all to the initial sum during the term of the deposit.

No they will not but they should allow you to make a further deposit and show it on the same page.

With the total being displayed at the bottom of the page.

Siam Commercial Bank do.

This year I deposited 1,000 Baht and the book was updated.

I shall do the same next year.

Easy.

post-36914-0-14754700-1378906276_thumb.j

No they will not but they should allow you to make a further deposit and show it on the same page.

With the total being displayed at the bottom of the page.

Siam Commercial Bank do.

All depends on the type of fixed account. Some are called fixed accounts although you can continue to make monthly deposits (usually deposits as low as 1,000 baht) but for many other fixed accounts you can not make any more deposits after the deposit promotion period expires at a certain guaranteed interested rate. And even before the promotion period expires the minimum additional deposit allowed can be quite high...like Bt200K...usually on these type of fixed accounts you are earning more interest than the fixed accounts that allow much lower deposits and seem to be open for deposits all the time...also, these fixed accounts may have variable internet rates.

The "fixed" part of the fixed account name really applies to leaving the money in the account for a "minimum fixed period" not necessarily a fixed interest rate as for some fixed accounts the interest rate can be variable. Pull any of the money out before the fixed period matures, or for some fixed accounts miss more than a couple required monthly deposits, and you lose a good portion of the internet. And in some cases the account will even be closed.

In those fixed accounts where you cannot make any more deposits "after the promotion period ends where you can open the account at a guaranteed interest rate X throughout the life of the fixed account (until it matures)," if you want to make an additional deposit you have to open another fixed account.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

k bank just lost a customer i would hope

On everything else they've have been very good.

It took years for Bangkok Bank to give me online banking.

With K-Bank I had it the day I opened the account. And, their online banking is quite good.

So, I will continue to use them in that way.

However, large fixed deposits are going elsewhere....

Can't you tell them that the dog ate your passbook and you want a new one or else a printout of all your activity to date?

so how much of the interest at 2.35 % do you actually get. ie what deductions before you get the money.

last i looked there were many fixed deposits at kbank. can someone who has the required updateable passbook point out which one they have from the kbank website.

Edited by Tony Rabbott

Just to ask them to stick the bank book into their machine to update should be sufficient. Many people have communication problems...

If you'd actually read the entire thread you'd realize that this won't work. If they put the book into their machine it just spits it out without having printed anything.

• Like 1

Just to ask them to stick the bank book into their machine to update should be sufficient. Many people have communication problems...

If you'd actually read the entire thread you'd realize that this won't work. If they put the book into their machine it just spits it out without having printed anything.

tell me if i am wrong please but why do you want your pass book updated,as you must have a letter from your bank just before your extension is due that will show the acc.no.and the date and current balance.this is all i have done the past yrs.they only check that the letter and the pass book shows the same acc.no.as i found out 3yrs ago when the bank clerk put someone else's acc.no on the letter.cost me extra 200bht.for another letter and 300bht.for the waiting taxi,a did we get an apoligy,did we fk.

• Like 1

tell me if i am wrong please but why do you want your pass book updated,as you must have a letter from your bank just before your extension is due that will show the acc.no.and the date and current balance.

Because Immigration wants to see the updated passbook along with the letter. My wife called Immigration yesterday and they confirmed this. They want to see an updated passbook.

They did suggest, however, that a properly worded letter might suffice in lieu of an updated passbook in the case of a fixed deposit account for which the passbook cannot be updated.

We obtained what we hope is such a letter from K-Bank yesterday.

I will see if it works today.

From the Immigration website:

1. In case of having money in the bank account (Saving/Fix deposit) of any bank located in Thailand.

- The updated bank passbook on the date of application submission showing money in the account of not less than 800,000 Baht which has been deposited and consecutively held of such amount for 3 months. ( Except the first application for this reason, that such amount should be deposited and held for 60 days)

- Letter from the bank certified the current account in the bank of not less than 800,000 Baht;

They want both.

looking at my old pass books [bkk bank] when i have gone for the letter for my ext.due on the 10th jan.it prints on the pass books as,the date 3jan. brought forward the balance.

next ext.i will be useing my t.g.s.b. fixed acc.which doesnt mature till the 17th.jan.so lets hope they have more sense then k.k.b.

otherwise i will be in the same boat as ratsima..

Before you go to immegration why don't you get your wife to phone them & explain the situation & see what they say?

It might save you a lot of hassle.

If you read the entire thread you will see that we have already done that. They were equivocal, but suggested that a properly worded letter from the bank might suffice.

We have what we hope is such a letter.