Registering your GF at the US Consulate............

Thighlander

They are interested knowing how to contact you in case of an emergency and who they should contact if you have an emergency. One of those people might be your GF. No need to go to the Consulate -- just visit their website and enroll in S.T.E.P. on-line. It stands for "Smart Traveler (something that starts with E I can't remember) Program"

Won't have any impact on whether you can a visa for your GF in the future. Don't worry -- they don't share this info with other gov't agencies, so your location is still unknown to the I.R.S. and state agencies looking for back child support payments! But, if you end up unconscious in hospital or if there's a big natural disaster like an earthquake, you'll appreciate having this info on file with them.

I don't think the U S visa department cares a hoot about you.

They are more concerned with your girlfriend. Has she got property here or an important job to make her come back. I had heard a rumor that 200,000 baht in the bank account for a considerable amount of time would do it. But that was just a rumor.

If she applies for a visa she will have to go in for an interview and you will not be allowed in to it. On the plus side it is easier than Canada and I believe the visa is good for up to ten years. Not sure how long she would be allowed to stay each time. One other thing to consider is would she like it there. I know my wife would want to come home after two weeks. The food is not Thai. Family is here in Thailand to cold and the list of Thai things goes on with her.

But I did check into it for taking her to Seattle and they have a Thai community club there. I am sure that would be a help.

• Like 1

"Don't worry -- they don't share this info with other gov't agencies, so your location is still unknown to the I.R.S. and state agencies looking for back child support payments! But, if you end up unconscious in hospital or if there's a big natural disaster like an earthquake, you'll appreciate having this info on file with them."

- no one that is except, of course, the NSA.....and now we found out also the Israeli government.........cheesy.gif

Reigistering just makes the NSA's job simplier..........

Nancy, my 770 credit score puts me ahead of 92,9% of Floridians. Have four years of tax returns on my thumb drive by my passport, three brokerage accounts, four bank accounts, no kids.

If you are thinking that would help get a visa for your gf, you will probably be disappointed. They generally look at her and her situation, not yours.

• Like 1

There's a big difference in Fiance Visa and Tourist Visa. Tourist Visa, she will need to show reason to come back. Fiance visa, I would have to show financial responsibility. Tax returns or 75K +/-, or combination. Health cover would be a big issue. 50,000 Thais in LA. Dolly, that's interesting about the 200K. I had heard for Fiance visa, they want to see emails to prove you didn't meet her at Spicy three days before. It seems like if maybe you listed her a contacy and documented, that would be ammo. A lot of it ii s to prevent them from being involved in prostitution.

They are more concerned with your girlfriend. Has she got property here or an important job to make her come back. I had heard a rumor that 200,000 baht in the bank account for a considerable amount of time would do it. But that was just a rumor.

If she applies for a visa she will have to go in for an interview and you will not be allowed in to it. On the plus side it is easier than Canada and I believe the visa is good for up to ten years. Not sure how long she would be allowed to stay each time. One other thing to consider is would she like it there. I know my wife would want to come home after two weeks. The food is not Thai. Family is here in Thailand to cold and the list of Thai things goes on with her.

But I did check into it for taking her to Seattle and they have a Thai community club there. I am sure that would be a help.

And this has what to do with the OP?

"Don't worry -- they don't share this info with other gov't agencies, so your location is still unknown to the I.R.S. and state agencies looking for back child support payments! But, if you end up unconscious in hospital or if there's a big natural disaster like an earthquake, you'll appreciate having this info on file with them."

- no one that is except, of course, the NSA.....and now we found out also the Israeli government.........cheesy.gif

I agree with you 100%. I respect NancyL and her knowledge but would never trust the U.S. government one bit at all.

I doubt the US government is interested in who your current gf is. Time and grief are an inseparable part of the visa process. Everything costs money at the US consulate.

That's quite true; regardless of what the Pollyannas say to the contrary.

Incidentally, there seem to be a lot of them on the forum these days. I wonder why?

I agree with you 100%. I respect NancyL and her knowledge but would never trust the U.S. government one bit at all.

ANd you find the Thai Government to be more trustworthy?

There's a big difference in Fiance Visa and Tourist Visa. Tourist Visa, she will need to show reason to come back. Fiance visa, I would have to show financial responsibility. Tax returns or 75K +/-, or combination. Health cover would be a big issue. 50,000 Thais in LA. Dolly, that's interesting about the 200K. I had heard for Fiance visa, they want to see emails to prove you didn't meet her at Spicy three days before. It seems like if maybe you listed her a contacy and documented, that would be ammo. A lot of it ii s to prevent them from being involved in prostitution.

And there is a big difference between a fiancé and a gf you stated in the topic line.

In the end it is up to the opinion of the interviewing consular officer, they have final discretion regardless of any guidelines. Good luck.

ANd you find the Thai Government to be more trustworthy?

Not at all.

I doubt the US government is interested in who your current gf is. Time and grief are an inseparable part of the visa process. Everything costs money at the US consulate.

That's quite true; regardless of what the Pollyannas say to the contrary.

Incidentally, there seem to be a lot of them on the forum these days. I wonder why?

Pollyannas are natures way of keeping cynical pessimistic doomers like me from upsetting the balance of the universe.

• Like 1

As I said it was a rumor and I heard it on Thai Visa, I know a fellow who is trying to get his girl friend over there. Not sure of the circumstances one day it is for a holiday and the next day it is for to get a green card. He also has tried to get a couple of lawyers and it is to the point if he talks about it I just nod my head. But he did say that it is easier now with a marriage visa than the fiance one. I believe it used to be the other way around.

Any how if any thing comes of it get on line and see if they have a Thai club there. I know the one in Seattle has there own building. I never looked at it when I was there last but would sure be looking for it if I took the wife back there.

Was that proof of $75,000 American a year?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif "And this has what to do with the OP?"cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Showing 10,000 USD was a requirement by the US Embassy up until about 1999 but it has been done away with. There is no set monastery requirements. Finances are looked at but in themselves are not the final judgement.

"There is no set monastery requirements"

I'd imagine they'd be quite interested if your girl friend has been staying in a monastery.

To answer the OP's question, registering his GF with the consulate isn't going to have an impact on her ability to get a visa to go to the U.S.

His being able to step to the plate to fulfill the requirements for her to get a fiancée visa could be important, but registration in advance won't make a difference.

As an aside, I remember a sad old American who would try to take the microphone every time someone from the Am. Consulate spoke at one of the meetings of the Expats Club. Apparently his "finance" bolted in the U.S. while under his "sponsorship" and was still able to remain in the U.S. even though they'd broken up. He just couldn't understand why INS wouldn't go out and deport her immediately. (I think they have bigger, more dangerous fish to fry)

My wife has just received a 5 year multiple entry visa for Canada. She can stay in Canada for up to 6 months on each entry. Then she must exit the country for at least 24 hours before she can return for another 6 months.

To answer the OP's question, registering his GF with the consulate isn't going to have an impact on her ability to get a visa to go to the U.S.

His being able to step to the plate to fulfill the requirements for her to get a fiancée visa could be important, but registration in advance won't make a difference.

As an aside, I remember a sad old American who would try to take the microphone every time someone from the Am. Consulate spoke at one of the meetings of the Expats Club. Apparently his "finance" bolted in the U.S. while under his "sponsorship" and was still able to remain in the U.S. even though they'd broken up. He just couldn't understand why INS wouldn't go out and deport her immediately. (I think they have bigger, more dangerous fish to fry)

+l :)

. You can not revolt sponsorship once the person being sponsored enters the US. I have a 19 year old step son that has been in the US for 5 years and I would like to revolt sponsorship and pay to have him returned to Thailand but a knowledgable immigration attorney informed me otherwise. The sponsor is legally on the hook for at least 10 years.

'Date stamped' photos of us and her family members going back several years certainly helped my Thai lady obtain an Australian visa and I guess US requirements might be similar.

I haven't looked closely at a US passport for many years but the last page of a British passport asks and gives space for 2 contacts in case of emergency and my Thai lady is one of those.

Again, don't know about the US Consulate but there is no procedure to 'register' at the British Embassy.

If you are working here, or elsewhere, your office should have next-of-kin details.

If Cloudhopper thinks the US Consulate is expensive then try the British Embassy. Ouch!

• Like 1