Flights To The Uk

sierra01

I’m shopping around for a cheap flight to the UK for next month, the date is flexible.

The cheapest are the Arab airlines, but they all make a stop in their respective countries, as long as the wait isn’t too long that’s ok. Which are the better airlines to fly with, and which Middle Eastern airports to wait in?

I’d really appreciate comments on your own personal experiences of this route to the UK, thanks guys.

I would choose Emirates first. I haven’t had any problems flying on them. Dubai airport is modern, clean with plenty of shopping to keep the missus happy while you have a drink.

Gulf Air would be my second choice. Bahrain airport is smallish but friendly and clean. Gulf do have a problem with delays. Most of the time they catch up the time during the flight but not always. :o

You may find Gulf is cheaper than Emirates.

Thanks Farma.

One thing that bothers me is changing a small amount of money to buy a drink and something to eat while waiting, In the UK they have a minimum commission charge so it makes it very expensive, unlike LOS with no charge. What's the situation in the Middle East?

I regularly travel through these airports so always have a stash of local currency travel money.

You can make small ATM withdrawals in the local currency for drinks money or can pay in other currencies in the restaurants and bars at a slightly lower exchange rate. The lower exchange rate at the restaurants/bars most probably equals out the ATM withdrawal charge anyway.

I haven't had any problems with using my credit card in either airport too.

Hope that helps.

Farma

Why not do an internet search for cheap flights? I do this every time and so far have never used the same carrier twice! I have travelled back and forwards 4 times in the past twelve months I also use www.travelocity.co.uk a lot and can book online to travel from Bangkok to UK with electronic ticket. My favourite stopover was Dubai with Emirates, smashing duty free area and no problem changing small amount of euros or bahts to local currencey. Quantas was the best flight with no stopover, direct to/from heathrow. Air france were OK with good food! KLM were a nightmare! 4 hour delay in Bangkok meant I missed my connection to UK from Copenhagen and after hours of waiting we were sent on a shuttle to Berlin where again we had hours of waiting! I am making my return journey to Bangkok next friday courtesy of qatar with a stop over in Doha so watch this space! :o

I’ve flown Saudair, Thai, Gulf and Emirates in and out of the Middle East.

Definitely avoid Saudair. No alcohol and transits through Riyadh and Jeddah where you are treated like a leper. The only benefit of Saudair is the possibility of finding plenty of spare seats for the kids to sleep on during the flight, but not worth the lack of service onboard and in transit.

Emirates have clean modern jets with TV’s in the seats. The crews are friendly with good service and food.

Gulf and Thai are on a par. Friendly crew, good food but limited to dropdown screens for inflight entertainment.

I flew with Qatar airlines last year, they are a 5 star airline, the planes have tv,s in the seats, food better than average, for airline food.

The airport is small, and crowded, mke sure you use the toilet on the plane, otherwise it is a thai toilet in the terminal, which is smelly dirty and disgusting

You have to consider your connection times , to make a decision on what airline to use,

I am travelling in June with Etihad, 2 hour stopover in Abu Dhabi, both ways, so I can put up with it because of the short time that I will be the terminal

I have flown with most of the middle east airlines, Emirates being best then Gulf, Qatar, Etihad, Oman Air, etc All about the same - Have stopped over in a lot of the airports, avoid Qatar as it is too small though modern, avoid Muscat as it is too small and dated - Abu Dhabi and Dubai are ok

Go Etihad.... cheap and with only a 2 hr overlay you won't be needing much in Abu Dhabi. I flew ith them last year BKK-LGW in business class primarily to get the extra baggage allowance. Enjoyed it so much I've booked again for October.... paying rather more this time tho'.

Gets you into Gatwick before 0700 so you could jump on the train and be home in Bognor for breakfast!! :o

My choice of middle east transit airport is usually Abu Dhabi with Etihad.

There are good connections with the flights, last time I travelled I was getting

concerned about our late arrival and was politely told that there was no way I

would miss the connecting flight as we had over 40 bangkok bound passengers

on board. Yes abu dhabi is relatively small, but it makes a welcome break from

nonstop 13 hour, three meal, four movie flights.

Importantly abu dhabi accepts just about every major currency under the sun

so you can buy a coffee in sterling if you want.

Doha duty free is very small and they sell the usual crap like watches, gold, mobiles, sigarettes and booze.

Regarding booze so far they have not yet opened a bar in the airport so despite their alcohol liberalisation in the rest of the country you can't get a drink in Doha airport unless you open the bottle of whiskey that you've just purchased :o

Doha duty free is very small and they sell the usual crap like watches, gold, mobiles, sigarettes and booze.

Regarding booze so far they have not yet opened a bar in the airport so despite their alcohol liberalisation in the rest of the country you can't get a drink in Doha airport unless you open the bottle of whiskey that you've just purchased :o

Thanks Farma.

One thing that bothers me is changing a small amount of money to buy a drink and something to eat while waiting, In the UK they have a minimum commission charge so it makes it very expensive, unlike LOS with no charge. What's the situation in the Middle East?

I seem to remember you can pay for items in any currency but get the change in the respective local currency.

do they sell english cigarettes in doha airport ie. regal,superkings etc

Ive only flown via the Middle east once, through Dubai. At that time the connection times were a bismal, 4 hour wait on the way to BKK, 7 hour wait on the way home!! For that reason alone I vowed never again and have enjoyed the longer non stop options from London with the chance of a decent kip.

I think that they have realised this now and changed schedules accordingly. I would reconsider again, I know that the prices are quite low now.

At the end of the day though, as long as you get to where you are going who really cares? !

[thanks so far to everyone, all the info has made going via the middle east a little less daunting.

Hi Sierra01

Just returned from BKK on my 3rd round trip with Etihad, can recommend it and into Gatwick which should suit you.

On ground in Abu Dhabi about hour and a half, what with disembarking and boarding for onward flight just enough time to stretch legs and have a coffee. Only problem lots of smokers there!

Etihad have all new equipment and use Boeing 777,s on that route, seat back screens as well as good seat pitch and good meals by airline standard.

Also very competitive prices...go for it!!

TBWG :o

If you want a price from Emirates, their own website www.emirates.com prices are often cheaper than those available from agents when travelling from BKK. Also it's worth signing up with their frequent flyer, book online and you get extra miles. And they fly to Gatwick.

the best thing to do if yer flying thru the Gulf to the UK is to pick up a bottle of vodka (mixes well with anything) before you board at Don Muang. You can always get cokes or fruit juice with ice to mix and not pester the cabin staff for booze. Sit back and relax...

when you get to Doha, Dubai or wherever with a long layover just get a large Fanta with lots of ice and just keep topping up...usually then during the leg from the Gulf to UK you are wiped and enjoy a good 7 hour rest before facing the stark light of Heathrow/Gatwick...

the cabin staff appreciate it as well...another anasthcisized happy camper with no problems...the drool running down his chin and onto his rumpled travelling attire notwithstanding...I used to wear a bib during this leg of the journey as I used to pass out with a load of chewing tobacco in place giving the drool an aspect of utmost unpleasantness when cabin staff leaned over to serve breakfast to the person in the next seat...in my half doze I could hear retching...

tutsi's travel tips...

Guest endure
On ground in Abu Dhabi about hour and a half, what with disembarking and boarding for onward flight just enough time to stretch legs and have a coffee. Only problem lots of smokers there!

Do you have to go through security if you transit Abu Dhabi? The worst thing about flying with Emirates is the bl**dy security staff at Dubai. Last time I was there they made a guy take his belt off and hobble through the metal detector holding his trousers up because they won't do wand searches.

Edited by endure