Beaches clean-up planned for Phuket

webfact

Beaches clean-up planned for Phuket

PHUKET: -- Phuket residents are invited to join a series of beach clean-ups around the island next Friday (September 20), dubbed the “Phuket Island Big Clean”, part of the global “Clean up the World” weekend, which is held in September every year.

Cleanups at Mai Khao, Nai Yang, Naithon, Bang Tao, Surin, Kamala, Karon, Kata, Kata Noi, Rawai, Naiharn, Panwa, Chalong and Koh Sirae will take place on Friday afternoon.

The exceptions are Kata Beach – at 11am – and Karon Beach at 4pm the following day (September 21).

The planned cleanups are as follows:

Mai Khao: Friday, 4pm. Meet at Anantara. Contact: Sean Panton 08 3391 5869

Nai Yang: Friday 1.30pm in front of Dewa. Contact: Celi Harper, 08 5477 2491

Naithon: Friday 3.30pm at the middle of the beach. Contact: Nick Franklin 08 4203 1739

Bang Tao: Friday 4pm at all four lifeguard stations. Contact: Claudine Nagiah 08 1082 0114

Surin: Friday 4pm at main carpark. Contact: Pathama 08 1787 3489

Kamala: Friday at 4pm. Contact: Charly Herget 076 385 315

Karon: Saturday 4pm, meet at Sub Aqua Dive Center on Karon Beach Road. Contact: Marc Partiti 0800523101

Kata: Saturday, 11 am. Fitness freaks go assemble at 9.45am for a free workout led by Krix Luther before the cleanup starts. Meet at the beach entrance beside Kata Beach Resort, opposite Surf House. Contact Krix Luther 08 9590 0237

Kata Noi: Friday 8am and 2pm. Contact: Jacob Ritter 08 3175 0627

Rawai Beach: Friday 4pm

Nai Harn beach, Friday, 4pm.

Panwa: Friday, 4pm, in front of PMBC and Cape Panwa beaches. Contact Wallop Srangkiat 08 5155 8364

Chalong, Friday 4pm. Meet at O2 beach club.

Koh Sirey, details to be confirmed.

Participants can help by bringing shovels, gloves and – if the have one – a machete. Bags will be donated for the cleanup. For extra information email [email protected] or phone Nick Anthony of SEEK at 0898732042

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/beaches-clean-up-planned-for-phuket-41857.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-12

Why is it that mainly foreigners seem to be organising these clean ups? It's not like there is a shortage of money in the place for it to be done properly by the local government bodies.

Because the local authorities are busy viewing their new villa's and imported luxury cars. whistling.gif

This is Phuket we're talking about here...

Well done to the foreigner's for helping the Thai's keep their beaches clean.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

They should focus in not throwing garbage instead of collecting it. What about big fines for anyone littering on the beach? Or community services like cleaning 100 m of beach shore if you are caught littering on the beach? If they prefer collecting it, I saw a nice initiative by beach bars years ago: bring a bucket full of beach garbage and you will get a free beer. Many more permanent things can be done besides the occasional initiatives like this one that is actually, great better than nothing at least

• Like 1

No need to bring a machete. Just borrow one from your local friendly jet ski operator.

Why the attempt to ridicule a good initiative like this.

........Because it has been done soooo many times before (ho hum here we go again), lasts about a week and back to the same , Thai don't understand the BIG picture!

wonder when Pattayas due to be done again , filth plus up there~!coffee1.gif

No need to bring a machete. Just borrow one from your local friendly jet ski operator.

........Because it has been done soooo many times before (ho hum here we go again), lasts about a week and back to the same , Thai don't understand the BIG picture!

Which is the same all over the world, beach clean ups are held regularly nearly everywhere.

Still, one can discuss the principle, foreigners, all fair, but that does not answer the question.

Which is the same all over the world, beach clean ups are held regularly nearly everywhere.

Still, one can discuss the principle, foreigners, all fair, but that does not answer the question.

Which question?

Which question?

Yes, you're right, I really did not mean it as a question, hence no question mark.

As in most countries, it really should be up to the local government to hire cleaners and keep the beach and public restrooms ( virtually non existent here) clean. It's not a stretch to hire cleaners to keep Phuket's best assets clean, is it?

As far as I'm concerned Phuket's best asset is the airport departure lounge.

Which question?

Yes, you're right, I really did not mean it as a question, hence no question mark.

Hence no reply.

As for the ridicule. Well because it would appear that to the Phuket authorities it is more important to get foreigners to clean up their beaches of some litter than it is for the authorities themselves to clean up the beaches of illegal, violent scam artists. I think its great that some foreigners will clean up the Thai's mess, but it doesnt really do much towards educating the locals to stop doing it. If anything they will think its ok to litter even more because there are 'other people' to come and clean it for free. Hell they dont even have to pay some illegal Burmese immigrant 60 baht a day to do it now.

To be honest, I don't know how you can't end up ridiculing anything the Phuket authorities cook up when you look at the whole picture. And on that note I hope you will be doing your bit Steven.

Thanks for the reply.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As in most countries, it really should be up to the local government to hire cleaners and keep the beach and public restrooms ( virtually non existent here) clean. It's not a stretch to hire cleaners to keep Phuket's best assets clean, is it?

Local Governmentcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .....Here!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gif ........Cleaners!!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Which question?

Hence no reply.

As for the ridicule. Well because it would appear that to the Phuket authorities it is more important to get foreigners to clean up their beaches of some litter than it is for the authorities themselves to clean up the beaches of illegal, violent scam artists. I think its great that some foreigners will clean up the Thai's mess, but it doesnt really do much towards educating the locals to stop doing it. If anything they will think its ok to litter even more because there are 'other people' to come and clean it for free. Hell they dont even have to pay some illegal Burmese immigrant 60 baht a day to do it now.

To be honest, I don't know how you can't end up ridiculing anything the Phuket authorities cook up when you look at the whole picture. And on that note I hope you will be doing your bit Steven.

If you look at the whole picture I would bet you would find some foreigners using the beach as a garbage dump also.

I do think it is a great thing to do and it would be interesting to see how many Thais are out there compared to foreigners.