Is rape prevalent in Thailand?

RaysFan

I watched a special on the news a few nights ago about the rape rates across asia... they mentioned many countries including burma, Cambodia, china, India, Bangladesh, nepal, Philippines. .. but skipped thailand. In countries surveyed like india more than 50% of men responded that they have raped at least one woman. All of the countries were more than 25%. This seems ridiculously high to me... just makes me curious about thailand. Im sure the local news doesnt cover rape much. Seems like its something thet just sweep under the rug. Oh, when asked why they rape women, 75% responded that they are entitled to it... just a part of the culture.

Sent from my GT-I9500

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't find many stats on this here in Thailand because the majority of the crimes go unreported. It is prevalent though as in most areas of SEA. We have several neighbors who work in the adult entertainment zones as bar girls and it is very common among the punters who use bar girls. Although they do not classify it as "rape" as they are "purchasing" a product the acts committed on some of these girls would get the "johns" arrested in the majority of the Western countries.....the locals are far worse though.

As per wikipedia which is a standard definition used by most countries as the basis for determining rape;

Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse, which is initiated by one or more persons against another person without that person's consent. The act may be carried out by physical force,coercion, abuse of authority or against a person who is incapable of valid consent, such as one who is unconscious, incapacitated, or below the legal age of consent.

You won't find many stats on this here in Thailand because the majority of the crimes go unreported. It is prevalent though as in most areas of SEA.

What does prevalent mean actually?

Is it getting worse or is it getting less?

We have several neighbors who work in the adult entertainment zones as bar girls and it is very common among the punters who use bar girls. Although they do not classify it as "rape" as they are "purchasing" a product the acts committed on some of these girls would get the "johns" arrested in the majority of the Western countries.....the locals are far worse though.

Utter shit. If consent is given then it is not rape.

Please desist from posting such nonsense.

Garbage

I agree with rct99q, just about every BG will be able to recount a story of where they had to flee a room as they were being brutalized. Intercourse is one thing, assault and brutalization is quite another.

You buy the right to have consensual intercourse, not the right to rape them.

Oh for the love of God. Are you for real?

"just about every BG will be able to recount a story of where they had to flee a room as they were being brutalized"

And you've met every BG in Thailand? Move on, 360. Stop posting dirge.

Edited by Darren McKenzie
  • Like 1

This is probably the scariest attitude I've come across on TV.

But what he is saying is true though. If a girl consents to you having sex with her then it's not rape is it?

If she consents and then later things are getting a bit out of hand or she changes her mind and tells you to stop / no (therefore no longer consenting) and you continue anyway then that becomes rape.

Well, if there's anyone here who want's to raise his hand and claim that an agreement is not an agreement I'd want to see that myself.

The issue, as I understood it, was that the events that occurred in the post HeavyDrinker referred to was not within scope of the initial agreement. In addition, and apologies to the mods for raising the topic, a provider or seller of the services in question is indeed fully entitled to cancel an agreement at any time, courtesy of the human rights as defined by UN.

If it is HeavyDrinkers intention to point out what is likely to be obvious for a majority of us (that consensual sex is not only morally solid, but also perfectly legal), my reply is: "No Shit Sherlock!"

• Like 1

We have several neighbors who work in the adult entertainment zones as bar girls and it is very common among the punters who use bar girls. Although they do not classify it as "rape" as they are "purchasing" a product the acts committed on some of these girls would get the "johns" arrested in the majority of the Western countries.....the locals are far worse though.

Utter shit. If consent is given then it is not rape.

Please desist from posting such nonsense.

You buy the right to have consensual intercourse

As a man of the law I have to say these words caught my attention. Though I am still not sure what to make of them. A matter of definition and terminology, perhaps.

From a strict legal perspective I doubt the word "right" is used correctly in the sentence above.

But as I said, I'm still not sure...what say you?

xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.7BHxcTK2hg.webp

• Like 1

very bad in Chiang mai and most are not reported to cops

Correct.

Virtually none are reported to the cops.

I have the rape statistics for Thailand to hand and I wouldn't embarrass myself by publishing them here They are so low I regard them as being weekly figures, not annual figures. The one statistic that I do have that is half way believable is...........

4% of women in Thailand report that their first sexual experience was forced. Going with an estimated adult population of 25 million Thai women, that means that 1 million Thai women are saying they have been raped.

That is the figure for only first time encounters.

According to what I have been told the rape statistic for women in the sex trade is well nigh 100%, and many have been raped multiple times.

The Thai authorities are pulling the same stroke they did with HIV-Aids. They are not funding adequate research and the Universities are struggling to get a framework together to sample accurate figures. They don't believe the governments stats either.

So far on this thread we've had two worthless comments and two personal attacks. I'd be more impressed if you could bring a single figure or coherent argument to the table.

I have the rape statistics for Thailand to hand

Would sure love to know exactly what figures these refer to, BGs, innocent bystanders, or family rapes.

Dont go opening a can of worms, because after living here I very much doubt if anyone is in a position to give out credible figures, for the simple reason many of these figures go unreported due to cultural differences, family pressure, pee/nong status etc etc.

Never mind talking to BGs, ask any Thai lady working in a regular job about how many times she is hit on by male colleagues.

Many women choose to just change jobs rather than report it, coupled with the stigma that follows reporting, for many its not worth it.

A family memeber was being sexually harassed in a large MNC on Petchaburi Rd in Bkk, Thai style family justice took place, I doubt if the perpetrator will ever father children.

So far on this thread we've had two worthless comments and two personal attacks. I'd be more impressed if you could bring a single figure or coherent argument to the table.

Drop the hypocrisy. Drop too the sad desire to fit in and be "liked".

In your own words: "just about every BG will be able to recount a story of where they had to flee a room as they were being brutalized".

So where are the stats? Where are the figures?

Have you met every BG in Thailand?

If so, has "just about every BG" in Thailand told you that she had to "flee a room" before "being brutalized"?

If you want to be taken seriously, try presenting yourself as someone worth taking seriously.

As you say: " I'd be more impressed if you could bring a single figure .... to the table."

So where are your own figures? You don't have any, do you? You're just trolling as usual.

• Like 1

@rgs2001uk

Dont go opening a can of worms, because after living here I very much doubt if anyone is in a position to give out credible figures, for the simple reason many of these figures go unreported due to cultural differences, family pressure, pee/nong status etc etc.

Never mind talking to BGs, ask any Thai lady working in a regular job about how many times she is hit on by male colleagues.

Many women choose to just change jobs rather than report it, coupled with the stigma that follows reporting, for many its not worth it.

I completely agree with you, I could not agree more. wai.gif

• Like 1

If a BG agrees to provide sex for money, and the trick pays the money and and has sex with the BG, after which the trick beats the BG, it would still be a crime, but the sex was consensual, so shouldn't it then be more like assault?

Now if the trick refused to pay the the BG for providing the sex, them it is certainly rape, and the beating should have nothing to do with it.

You're figures are all wrong.......that being said the actual figures are still horrific. Here's an abstract of the report you are referring to......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24021573

I don't have figures for rape in Thailand however I do know anecdotally Thai women regard it as a clear and present danger.

After being shocked by those statistics I perused this link to find that one of the questions asked was

"Have you ever had sex with your partner when you knew she didn't want to but you thought she should agree because she's your wife/ partner?"

Nothing about force or violence. This question could easily be taken as she wasn't in the mood but she let me anyway.

Rape is a very charged word and this article/study , to me, seems to have been designed to shock and outrage people rather than to inform people. Manipulating surveys to fit an agenda is nothing new.

I have an 11 year old daughter in Thailand so this study aroused particular interest in me. After reading the article I lost faith in the study as I believe it has little credibility and is pushing an agenda. Although I sympathize with the agenda of combating rape, I hate when people try to inflate a problem to manipulate the masses.

I read the UN report a couple of days ago and I contemplated posting the topic. I was put off by a couple of factors, one being the Paupua figures which I thought spiked the result. What concerned me about that is that Papua is a notoriously lawless place.

I agree with what you are saying, one of the reasons that the universities are struggling to put a framework together is that they can't come to a satisfactory definition of rape.

Here lies the problem, if no one can agree the definition of rape, then what is rape?

It's up to the experts to sort it out. To me the simple way of splitting the categories would be to separate relationship "incidents" and all others. Relationship would include boyfriends.

A simple step that would provide some clarity.

The vilest most digusting story I have ever read.

I have been around the world a few times, and usually aint easily offended, I also belong to the "Hang 'Em High Brigade" (for which I make no apology).

But even this sickened me, hanging would have been too good, boiled alive in oil would be more appropriate.

How many more stories such as this do we never hear of.

Warning, not for the feint of heart, this sickened even me.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657993-four-male-family-members-arrested-for-five-years-of-sexual-abuse-against-14-year-old-in-bang-saray/

If a BG agrees to provide sex for money, and the trick pays the money and and has sex with the BG, after which the trick beats the BG, it would still be a crime, but the sex was consensual, so shouldn't it then be more like assault?

Now if the trick refused to pay the the BG for providing the sex, them it is certainly rape, and the beating should have nothing to do with it.

So by definition agreeing to pay, having intercourse, then refusing to pay = rape? I would agree with that.

@giggles, I hear you. wai.gif

There is still the stigma attached in Thailand where the woman raped is regarded as having brought shame on her family. So rather than seek help, they stay quiet.

It's a nightmare scenario.

Are you for real, so the guy go's with a girl for sex and doesn't pay her then you say "it is certainly rape"

Get a grip man, if the sex was provided with consent then it aint rape, as for not paying after the consentual event, if you'd have said it's on par with shoplifting I'd have left your post alone...rolleyes.gif

Read learn and understand the definition of rape.

• Like 1

The vilest most digusting story I have ever read.

I have been around the world a few times, and usually aint easily offended, I also belong to the "Hang 'Em High Brigade" (for which I make no apology).

But even this sickened me, hanging would have been too good, boiled alive in oil would be more appropriate.

How many more stories such as this do we never hear of.

Warning, not for the feint of heart, this sickened even me.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657993-four-male-family-members-arrested-for-five-years-of-sexual-abuse-against-14-year-old-in-bang-saray/

I agree, repulsive. Here is a copy of the latest Law in regards to Child Sex Abuse I can find. I suggest parents bookmark it........

http://www.ageofconsent.com/thailand.htm

Drop the hypocrisy. Drop too the sad desire to fit in and be "liked".

In your own words: "just about every BG will be able to recount a story of where they had to flee a room as they were being brutalized".

So where are the stats? Where are the figures?

Have you met every BG in Thailand?

If so, has "just about every BG" in Thailand told you that she had to "flee a room" before "being brutalized"?

If you want to be taken seriously, try presenting yourself as someone worth taking seriously.

As you say: " I'd be more impressed if you could bring a single figure .... to the table."

So where are your own figures? You don't have any, do you? You're just trolling as usual.

Hmmmmm, have you had a bad day. You bought a Nissan or something like that. facepalm.gif .............................laugh.png

• Like 1