Is it safe for a foreigner to marry a Thai?

webfact

Is it Safe for a Foreigner to Marry a Thai?
By Editor In Asia

IS IT SAFE FOR A FOREIGNER TO MARRY A THAI? – Love can be a dangerous thing; emotions can run high and when there’s money involved some people will go to any lengths to get their hands on it.

BANGKOK: -- According to the FBI some 3 per cent of all murders in the U.S involving spouses are for the sole purpose of obtaining a payout from a life insurance policy. This very fact makes it clear that Thailand is not unique when it comes to wives or husbands bumping off their spouse for cash.

So what about Thailand? How many foreigner nationals have been murdered by their Thai spouses with the intent on getting their hands on his assets?

Thai Bride

Thailand appears to have developed a notorious reputation on the Thai based forums and blogsphere; with countless cases of foreigners being scammed or at worse murdered for their assets.

All countries have crime and certainly Thailand is not unique in that aspect. However it might often appear to have a more sinister side due to the lack of transparency in reporting from the Thai authorities.

Suicide appears to be the favourite conclusion of the Royal Thai Police and whilst it can be accepted that many people bow out due to the pressures of life this doesn’t detract from the fact that suicide appears maybe just a little too prevalent. Many expatriates, from what I’ve read, feel that the Thai police use suicide as a way to avoid a full investigation.

Is this assertion true? That’s anyone’s guess but it is certainly appears to be an easy way for the Thai police to end an investigation and close the matter swiftly.

There is one element here that disturbs me the most and that is transparency. I asked a couple of sources inside for their take on the situation [read more...]

Full story: http://meebal.com/is-it-safe-for-a-foreigner-to-marry-a-thai/

-- meebal 2013-09-12

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been married to one for over twenty years and she hasn't killed me yet.

Maybe she is crossing her t's and dotting her i's.

Just kidding, well done 20 yrs is good going and I hope you have another 20. I still have a little way to go to match you but everything is flowing smoothly.

Well, I have to admit she urged me to get life insurance many years ago. Maybe she's just happy to wait until I go naturally!
  • Like 1

No problem if you set things up right......

For money >>>>>>

Wrong way..... tell your sweet loving Thai wife you have taken out a massive life insurance policy, with her

being named as the beneficiary. Result ?? A short life.

Yeah like that guy in Ranong a few years back (Dale Henry). Supposedly came home and informed the wifey that his company had a million dollar insurance policy on him. She (almost) immediately contacted the "boyfriend" (by text message) who contacted an "uncle" (by text message) and the 3 of them arranged (by text messaging) to murder her husband. (The whole sordid affair was well covered in ThaiVisa.)

"Never be worth more dead than alive"

That being said, one problem with stories like these are, we only hear the sensational ones. How to compare the "married and murdered for money" stories with the "happily ever after" ones, when we only hear the bad stories ?

The OP notes that he had problems getting crime stats. I notice that it doesn't appear he made any attempt to see just how many "farang/Thai" marriages there may be (or how many/year, etc). I suspect those stats would be just as hard, if not harder, to find than the crime stats.

Think about it, the 4 "cases" noted in the article ? They happened in 2005 (Tony Charnaud), 2008 (Ian Beeston), 2010 (Raymond Hyde) and 2013 (Mr. Kunther Kruberg).

I would imagine that the number of Thai/farang marriages every year must be in the thousands, and the instances of a "Thai/farang" spouse murdering their partner for profit is probably so low as to be almost insignificant statistically any ways.

My teerak says she doesn't want to kill me, just wants to marry me so that "if" I die, it all goes to her and not the government !

Fortunately she thinks I'm so poor that I'm not worth "offing" (but I'm still staying away from the mushrooms, putting my own locks on the doors and making sure she gets into bed first, not that I've seen any snakes/scorpions or other poisonous critters around here recently or any thing...........)

• Like 1

I got married in BKK to a Thai girl from Udon Thani. We have been seperated now for 4 years and i have filed for a divorce. My lawyer has told me it has to be done in the courts in Udon Thani as that is where she is from. Is this correct? If it is i dont think i will get out of there alive. So the anwser to the question is NO.

• Like 1

I am more than happy being married to my Falang wife most friends we know who are married to Thai woman are always moaning that they have no money most are my age 62 and have a Thai son/daughter below 6 years of age do I need say any more NO !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Depends on the foreigner and the Thai. Same as a foreigner marrying an Italian (my son did),German, Swiss, Brazilian, Canadian - you can go on forever. If the man and woman understand, respect, care for and love each other then it will work. It does for me.

I am more than happy being married to my Falang wife most friends we know who are married to Thai woman are always moaning that they have no money most are my age 62 and have a Thai son/daughter below 6 years of age do I need say any more NO !!!!!!!!!!

very well said, I am in same boat my friend, couple of minutes she cried, " Momi ngn" I dont have money....thanks pal

Depends on the foreigner and the Thai. Same as a foreigner marrying an Italian (my son did),German, Swiss, Brazilian, Canadian - you can go on forever. If the man and woman understand, respect, care for and love each other then it will work. It does for me.

give me a break, we are not talking about europians.....

• Like 1

Anectdotal for sure but the Thai restaurant in my sister's village was run for a good few years by a one-legged bloke and his Thai partner - they always seemed quite pleasant and unassuming. They sold up a few years ago and moved to Thailand and she had him run over and killed in a motorbike accident.She got 10 years he got a death sentence

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/lancashire-chef-jailed-in-thailand-for-murder-1-84974

• Like 1

I was just wondering if you still have sex?

Sorry to ask such a personal question, but I was married to an English lady for 30 years, and the last 20 years no sex.

Now I have a Thai lady much, much younger than me, and I have plenty of sex.

Yes, she's a little bit violent and possibly dangerous, but I'm living a full life again.

I was happy to exchange my personal security for a fulfilling sex life.

The other possibility is that at age 62 you no longer want sex, I know many men lose their sex drive at that age.

• Like 1