Is it safe for a foreigner to marry a Thai?

webfact

Great many happy marriages so the answer yould have to be yes.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi, well, perhaps no one wants to waste time typing their sharing unless they wish to show gesture of appreciation on the good or bad they have come across. The stories I believe, are true, unless invented for assignments or residential face. However, what is true now may change later! even if I have shared about bad experience, of course those few are among countless number of people I know in person. Most positive relations definitely consist of broad-mindedness and open mindset it seems.

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From personal experience, having once been married to a Thai lady for three years who turned into an angry psycho, I would fear the Thai lady far more than the western lady. sad.png

Sorry to hear that. From the cases I have come across, problems are associated with cases of problems in both the men and their partners:

1) Either or both have told each other (and the society) big lies about their pasts or personal situation for hidden purposes, for instances, lie for sex, money, residential or business. Thai people take marital status very seriously so it is best to not ever lie if you are not ready to commit. Don't think that the border will serve as substantive burden to protect your interest because as time goes by, the law of both countries can change and so as existence of the officials that may favor you.

2) Cases of guys stop accepting girls are mostly involved gambling, family disagreement (family members or parents of the women demand too much money at times while they do not manage the finances), disputes related to dependent or children from previous marriages, infidelity and paperwork problems related to discrepancy of marital status or criminal record.

3) Other unforeseen circumstances that put drastic impact on the marriage, changes in personality, goals and expectation of each party, etc.

• Like 1

I consider myself quite lucky.

I met my now TGF in her first week of staying in Pattaya, so I was an early bird with her and though she worked a further 6 months before she gave up I think it was ok so she can experience a wide range of men from different nationalitys so to be sure I tick all the boxes for her, which by all acounts I do and she lubs me very much and is exclusive to me. She spent the summer in the UK so we could see how we get on and generally all good. The usual suspects of PMT, tiredness would ruffle the feathers but thats just business as usual in any relationship.

Tell me the old, old story.

Before they get to Pattaya they work in a Thai brothel for a few years, then a 6 month stint at Orchid Towers (think 8 a day for five years). If you believe any Thai sex worker does her first tricks with foreigners, I have a bridge I would like to sell you (I've only been living under it a couple of weeks). The girls usually go to Pattaya when they are too worn/old for the locals to want any more.

You are correct, Fifty Two #170, that some bar girls start out in local brothels; however, they have more trouble finding a farang husband than the young innocent ones whom exude an aura of someone needing rescued. I have been coming to Thailand since 1978 & lived there for seven years. I can tell you that only a small portion of sex workers start out this way.

Originally, scouts from Phuket & Pattaya would travel through Isaan & other northeastern villages looking for pretty, young, fresh, innocent girls whose families were poor. They'd purchase the girls time from their parents on a contract; fulfillment was based on a combination of time worked & money earned for the bar owners. The more pure the girl, the more money the scouts could offer.

One of PM Thaksin's first actions as prime minister was to put a stop to this practice; this was one of several actions that made Thaksin popular in the NE. Because he was also buying up Phuket land, Thaksin enforced this change, unlike many other proclamations made only for PR purposes (e.g., the Aug 16th (?) 2004 outlawing of live sex acts was only a PR move to appease U.S. President Bush; in practice, it continued with local police now having another source of income).

After that, Issan mamasans took up the slack, grooming local girls for eventual work in the sex industry. They generally build on the girls' dreams by promising them they can find good work as a singer, or dancer, or cook, or whatever, usually played to specific skill sets each girl may have. Most of the girls obviously have some idea of where this will lead, especially considering the condition that if a girl meets a farang, the mamsan gets a percentage of any money given to the girl, but they're all young & naive & excited about the prospect of meeting real farangs. So they throw caution to the wind & head south ...

All of the girls that end up working in the bars these days make the choice to do so (i.e., they're no longer forced by contract). This means that they have taken a step to shed the programming chains around their neck. As stated in earlier posts, the girls who've taken the first step but whom have yet to be turned to stone, these are the pickings. These are the girls who'll prove not to be boring "white picket fences" wives. They are the ones who'll have fun with their farang partner & cherish the things he or she introduces them to.

Edited by SeabagsFull

..... I've been visiting the Kingdom regularly for more than 25 years and have lived here for about 7 now. I've never gone out with or been involved with drug users, prostitutes, scammers, mama-san hairdressers, bar girls who are "teamed up with police", women with secret Thai husbands, women controlled by the mafia, or any of the other things you talk about.

Where on earth, or better yet, under what rock did you manage to find a selection of individuals like that? Talk about looking for love in all the wrong places!

I've lived here a little while, many of the Thais I know have some sort of criminal past.

Loads of former YaaBaa users and YaaIce users.

Many former gang members, sex workers, scammers, many now apparently respectable middle class people.

I can only imagine you don't really know the Thai people around you that well.

I know, you are going to tell me I mix with the wrong people, but I'm not sure that's true.

• Like 1

All of the girls that end up working in the bars these days make the choice to do so (i.e., they're no longer forced by contract). This means that they have taken a step to shed the programming chains around their neck. As stated in earlier posts, the girls who've taken the first step but whom have yet to be turned to stone, these are the pickings. These are the girls who'll prove not to be boring "white picket fences" wives. They are the ones who'll have fun with their farang partner & cherish the things he or she introduces them to.

Thailand is a country where every man's fantasy can be fulfilled, even if only for a short-time.

• Like 2

It's safe if you don't give her access to your bank account.

Why do you say that?

My Thai wife was on my credit cards before I got rid of them all, we had a joint UK account, we have a joint account here plus she has her own and so do I.

If you can't trust your wife of ANY nationality then you are best off staying unmarried.

If you CAN trust your wife both of you made a good choice in partners.

I did the second time around.

None of the males in my family (going back as far as my grandfather) have ever co-mingled funds, had joint accounts, given out PIN numbers, had joint credit cards, or anything like that. Everyone needs to protect themselves. My g/f has no interest in any of my business and her bank accounts, mutual funds, and properties that she owns, she has owned before we met 6 years ago. She knows that foreigners can't own land here so the subject never comes up. If I would ever buy property here it would be in our child's name.

None of my family apart from my brother when he moved to Canada and me EVER had bank accounts.

When I was married in the UK I had joint accounts and credit cards with my first wife and I never felt the need to protect myself then any mopre than I do now.

Either I trust my wife or I don't. As I do I have no particular worries and if I didn't I wouldn't be married to her.

I knew before I married her I couldn't own land or property on the ground and it never bothered me.

When I divorced in the UK I lost far more than I ever can in Thailand and it was my fault then anyway.

In your eyes I may be wearing rose tinted glasses but that would be your perception of me and not mine.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

Many interesting comments here. I can no longer find it but there used to be a posting above here suggested that educated Thai-Chinese ladies are far more dangerous than bar girls who are considered the best choices. Not sure if the person meant to say that she/they are dangerous to farangs that want to protect their assets from the Thai wife as well as from the farang wife or former wife.

I have not known one single typical Thai-Chinese girl married to a farang to be honest. One on a local magazine last year was married to a north Asian and faced domestic violence. To my knowledge, Thai-Chinese girls are married to Thai-Chinese guys. It is their families' aims. Ones that are available to marry a farang is perhaps one in a million.

To my knowledge, all the cases of marriage and asset fraud cases I am working on this year involve former bar girls. This implies that bar girls have been popular choices and so higher percentage of cases involve them. Farang wives that are bar girls are not all that honest as far as I can see. Ones around me, 80% in moderate to dangerous degrees, 20% pretty good and average ladies. Behaviors of the majority is related to "self-perception" and "asset comparison" as well as lack of lifestyle and exposure. I imagine the majority, if educated and get to know their husbands substantively well, they would surely leave the guys with no chance to protect their own vested interests.

Knowledge of each other's assets, marriage laws in each other's country, knowledge of each other's life goals and plans, is for, among other good reasons, protection of one's own interest when it comes to foreign marriage as it involves a bigger picture when life consists of at least two people as a family.

Farangs that are afraid of any knowledgeable people or Thai women may well be cons! I observe a few foreigners here have set footage on being influential in Thailand and this appears to be one of the major reasons why they want to live here. They may broadcast themselves in a local radio program, gather donations (that may or may not go to the charity, etc), give free beers for the locals, argue that Newton's theory is plain wrong, promote that their political regime should be better for Thailand and the poor (whereas this is just his way to earn a free ticket into something), etc just to show the Thais that they are better than the world over... but may later ask for favors in supporting underground related activities, conceal their sales of Yaa Ice, etc.

These farangs with their supremacy ideas are simply be up to somethings like green-washing illegitimate funds, concealing drug trafficking activities, making beliefs to promote their own work and social image into likelihood in being granted citizenship as well as attempting to ratify some wrongs.. or just want to become a hit like the singer of Gangnam Style! Certain farangs, by the way they speak, may never understand Thailand's civilization and social harmony well enough but insist to live here. This may be attributable to social problems in the long run too.

Where do we choose to live and why (if we have the choices)? Who are we married to and how did we know them? What is our major objectives in getting married to a Thai woman? Is it because so that we can conceal our assets and still get treated nicely? Is it because she is more submissive and sexier than a farang woman?

Mind you, cases with obsolete minds like this are not within the good majority. Have a nice weekend.

Why do you say that?

My Thai wife was on my credit cards before I got rid of them all, we had a joint UK account, we have a joint account here plus she has her own and so do I.

If you can't trust your wife of ANY nationality then you are best off staying unmarried.

None of the males in my family (going back as far as my grandfather) have ever co-mingled funds, had joint accounts, given out PIN numbers, had joint credit cards, or anything like that. Everyone needs to protect themselves. My g/f has no interest in any of my business and her bank accounts, mutual funds, and properties that she owns, she has owned before we met 6 years ago. She knows that foreigners can't own land here so the subject never comes up. If I would ever buy property here it would be in our child's name.

None of my family apart from my brother when he moved to Canada and me EVER had bank accounts.

When I was married in the UK I had joint accounts and credit cards with my first wife and I never felt the need to protect myself then any mopre than I do now.

Either I trust my wife or I don't. As I do I have no particular worries and if I didn't I wouldn't be married to her.

I knew before I married her I couldn't own land or property on the ground and it never bothered me.

When I divorced in the UK I lost far more than I ever can in Thailand and it was my fault then anyway.

In your eyes I may be wearing rose tinted glasses but that would be your perception of me and not mine.

Have a nice day.

Related thoughts: Make a list of assets of both parties like a due diligence, communicate the list to each other, show each other debts as well as savings, learning about each other's current income position, opening 2 joint bank accounts (but not credit cards) one is for fixed savings and the other is for budget (expenses). I myself would tell my prospective spouse about my background as well as baggage and current position to let the person decide whether I have enough senses or grounds to qualify as the partner in material sense. Lying about what is related to these things are what lead to divorce or betrayal, I believe.

No one can take our asset away from us if what we have done with it and the way to protect it is legitimate and fair.

Related thoughts: Make a list of assets of both parties like a due diligence, communicate the list to each other, show each other debts as well as savings, learning about each other's current income position, opening 2 joint bank accounts (but not credit cards) one is for fixed savings and the other is for budget (expenses). I myself would tell my prospective spouse about my background as well as baggage and current position to let the person decide whether I have enough senses or grounds to qualify as the partner in material sense. Lying about what is related to these things are what lead to divorce or betrayal, I believe.

Why do you say that?

Have a nice day.

..... I've been visiting the Kingdom regularly for more than 25 years and have lived here for about 7 now. I've never gone out with or been involved with drug users, prostitutes, scammers, mama-san hairdressers, bar girls who are "teamed up with police", women with secret Thai husbands, women controlled by the mafia, or any of the other things you talk about.

Where on earth, or better yet, under what rock did you manage to find a selection of individuals like that? Talk about looking for love in all the wrong places!

I've lived here a little while, many of the Thais I know have some sort of criminal past.

Many former gang members, sex workers, scammers, many now apparently respectable middle class people.

I know, you are going to tell me I mix with the wrong people, but I'm not sure that's true.

Yup, took the words right out of my mouth...you mix with the wrong people. I have Thai friends not only here but in Europe and America. Some I have known for 20+ years. They are professionals; doctors, educators, business owners, ex-military, people who work for multinational corporations, etc. None of them are "former gang members, sex workers, or scammers." I know them quite well. Perhaps the people you know are lower-class.

Yup, took the words right out of my mouth...you mix with the wrong people. I have Thai friends not only here but in Europe and America. Some I have known for 20+ years. They are professionals; doctors, educators, business owners, ex-military, people who work for multinational corporations, etc. None of them are "former gang members, sex workers, or scammers." I know them quite well. Perhaps the people you know are lower-class.

Of course Thai people are generally good people, several elites, countless educated, others noble, many top white collars, most others average, plenty low-soul, a few hookers, few others criminals. Some of them may read "Thailand Tatler" not necessarily because they are snobbish Chinese-Thai ladies or want to climb the ladders but they probably cite information, ads, etc for their work purposes, for instances.

What I have learned is that, majority of people that ended up in United States since several years ago were people with more opportunities and money than others whereas in more recent times, the bunch included people that jumped visa. Notwithstanding this sovereign nation, a G7 country such as United States, if with no criminals, why would there exist such organisations as FBI, CIA, Highway Patrols, etc. Many of us learned the trace information of why Kennedy was tragically assassinated, etc. In the same way, Thailand has Anti-corruption Bureau, Tourist Police, Intellectual Property Rights Police, Anti Human Trafficking Police, Children Protection Police, and Special Investigation Department, etc the last of which to contain to the crimes that seem beyond the police's authority.

Every society has its own control mechanism. Similarly, in Thailand, foreigners or Thais that may set out to become the control mechanism may inconsiderately spread whichever word of mount they prefer to. This is one way of committing a crime also, even if not or not yet prosecuted, it can be considered crimes against humanity in one way or another.

This topic involves "Thai women", and as far as I am aware of, only less than 10 million women are tax payers whereas there are roughly 34 million female including children. Out of all this, the number of tax paying women that do not operate themselves on "cash economy", well less than one million women earn more than 60,000 baht a month each. The rest are average and less well off women.

If you are diplomats, influential figures, wealthy retirees, world class executives, top executives, top professionals, pactical engineers or senior executives, you are most likely to be associating with many of these women whereas in most cases, you would be more around the commoners. Whether you are a farang in the top group or average group, there are by common sense, a fair chance you will come across "funny" people from all walks of life.

Whether the experiences that you have is good or bad, it does not make you more or less privileged, smart or dumb, I would take it that it is more of blessing or destiny which can easily be taken away if you underestimate the fortune of others. We all learn well from our experience. I myself value my experiences very much, both from good sides and bad sides. I look at each Thai woman I deal with inside out. I am not super dumb or super smart. With thorough analysis of someone, there have been incidents of ups and downs in my experience. That is life.

My additional recommendation on whether to marry a Thai woman is perhaps to view the issue in similar way that you view problems as opportunities and be prepared for whatever comes, which includes gear up your own protection, use fair treatment policy towards one another in your marriage, etc. Wisdom comes with the coming of age. Sometimes we all know that good things come by chance, etc. Voila!

• Like 1

To get clearer idea on whether to marry a Thai woman, we shall consider that Thai women, I mean the average linda type, are stakeholders in this opinion. It may be another good idea to ask Thai women that are married to foreigners what they think of their marriages and how happy they are in their marriage. What their concerns and dissatisfaction are mostly about. Ask ladies who are unsuccessful in their marriage to foreigners about why their marriages failed to work out, etc. It may even be better to ask non direct stakeholders what their experiences dealing with farangs are like. It would be interesting to learn.

• Like 2

Interesting thing to discuss. Some observation is that, Thai entertainers are probably connected to gangsters and bad police that have been using them to do one black thing or another.

People that come from upcountry to work in Bangkok these days are tied to a number of interest groups ranging from labor related, underground activities related, drug related to normal work related and political related situations.

It all depends on who you know and how you know them. This is a popular saying tho!

Based on my experiences dealing with people and private investigation work background, I must suggest that:

1) Pick partners that are educated and work in normal day time corporate or public sector jobs. Entertainers are for entertaining and in most cases not for marrying as they are likely to be connected to the underworld, drug, debts, hidden fantasy husbands/partners.

2) If it's simplest to pick a partner who is an entertainer, spend time to get to know him/her thoroughly...starting from the family and background, place currently living, places he/she has lived, down to values and beliefs. Obvious remarks are the mentioning of the influential polices, bar managers, politicians, head of mafia or gangsters, etc.

3) Character is the most important lead to what you will face with in the partner. This goes both ways. Study each other carefully and visit each other's homes, show each other just about everything as time goes by, etc. Usually nothing will surface in less than a year or two...

Want to share about the girls in Ratchada area. I am a business manager and I too am from upcountry, that located here due to my company situating here too. I first rented a suite room here and walked to work before leaving the company and starting a dealership to save up to buy my own place.

I have lived here since 2003 so am familiar with many bar girls and treat them rather as friends and sisters around the neighborhood.These girls come from upcountry with various plans such as to further education, on mission after divorce to a quick fix, to find a simple job, to work in a corporate job, to become a business owner, etc.

Among more than 50-100 people that I knew here, all bar girls and entertainers as well as drug dealers known to me in 2003-2008 have gone away in one fashion or another except one who does not work full-time as entertainer but as a normal masseuse that may some times date a foreigner for money.

Classic cases have been scams such as the girl or guy got together with a rich foreigner after being involved with a scammer and together helped one another arrange scenes to scam the rich guy, usually involving a gambling scene, involved with police that may possibly behind these things (a stakeholder in the scam!), Thai girl playing dumb after pawning her Bt.450K car for double the sum of money from double sources, Thai girl asked the foreign manager to pay down payment on a car under her name and run away with the car, Thai girl using host bar for entertainment (for having sex with male prostitutes) when foreign husbands away on business or long leave from the Kingdom, Thai girls using cocaine and hold nuke parties with their police boyfriends buying drug with foreign men's money, Thai girls walk off on foreign men when the men become bankrupt.

These are severe cases, not counting milder cases of lies and frauds. The hard crimes are easy to see whereas those soft ones are all out for the rich men to lose a lot of what they have got, it seems.

Among people in this area, the relationships that still seem okay (I mean at least on the surface, appear as normal situation) are involved these situations and characters:

1) Personal come business relationship but this may not last because of so many hard variables.

2) Marriage with bar girl who (even though) is married to a Thai that lived back home, whereby the foreign man controls her interest by slowly giving her money and things. She took it because she had no choice, no desire to work, just sleep with him for money for as long as her kids and family can live on. He himself maybe an ex-con with limited options, coming here to green-wash himself and simply seek the place to bury his grave when time comes. For as long as he can retain his visa and have sex, he may not feel the bother about her Thai husband's existence or else he did not know... or he possibly has prostate cancer and may soon past away!

3) The men married Thai girls properly regardless of background and flew them to live with overseas. This off course, I do not hear much about them after they left so there is no way I will know most truths except that I perceive girls going overseas are happier and better deserved than girls that had to remain here perhaps.

4) Girls that are most broad-minded and do not care their husbands' behavior much whether it be butterflying, gambling, drinking, sporting, or whatever for as long as they are amply looked after or given the chance to grow their own careers and wealth.

5) Well educated couples and elites.

I perceive that girls that look for foreign partners may have high self-esteem, in many cases, excessively high, which lead them to jump fast into many conclusions and thoughts. They may previously ran into problems and hold high hopes for a big and quick fix. Watch out for them. The girls that have troubled me recently, for instances are the following types:

1) Pimpie's girl dealing drug trying to lure me into becoming a guarantor in her 1.2 million baht car loans. I found out later this girl is having multiple partners so she could gain high income each month. She works for some bad police in looking for potential victim(s), allowing her group to cause him/her stress and trick him/her in what may appears to be harmless ways to de-stress by using cocaine or spend money gambling, etc. The group of bad police is her tutor. Whoever is involved with this type of girls may ever lost all their assets as well as wallet and identity. They can invent all lies. They can do all bad things.

2) Experienced bar girl teaming up with a senior police pretending to request help from her ex foreigner husband and me on her debt cases...whereas her loss of assets were actually due to her own hidden agenda, cheap lavishly behavior and intentional drug abuse.

3) Mama san turned hairdresser, verbally abusive. This woman came from the Khmer border as a bar girl, then bar mama san and then human exporter. Her boss just married her and sent her on for sales in Europe for 3 months. This woman knows the ins and outs of the underworld, connected with all bad girls to round up their actions, and in a number of ways, is like a nuclear bomb to our society! Absolutely dangerous to everyone!

4) Prostitutes that asked for credit from shops and may never pay back, etc as they wish only to take advantage of people.

Education sometimes isn't what make us more of human unless our values and beliefs hold us true and noble. However, we all must live our lives step by step, not ten steps or through multiple zigzags at a time.

As for the big gossips on the men side, it is too long a story to tell for now so I might find time to share later. To find love and to be loved, often love does not happen two-way at the same times. That's why most of us are still lonely and heartbroken. All the best and thanks for reading through.

I think you must be expert. Perhaps you can give advice on best way to acceptably bang the maid when visiting gf's parents house?

No one can take our asset away from us if what we have done with it and the way to protect it is legitimate and fair.

Why do you say that?

Have a nice day.

Been there and done that years ago but thank you for your advice.

• Like 1

Quote:

"For many people paying rent seems like a waste of money and foreigners are offered a route to owning property in two ways.

1. They can set up a Thai Company

2. They can sign over the land title deeds to their Thai spouse

Given the two options, and the number of cases where foreigners have been murdered for their property, I can only conclude that option two has to put the foreigner at greater risk. It is plainly obvious that with the foreigner out of the way the Thai spouse is free to liquidate the asset and enjoy the spoils of her ill gotten gains."

One can also argue that option 2 puts the foreigner at lesser risk !!

In option 2 the foreigner does not have to be removed to get to the land title and assets can be freely liquidated and spoils can be enjoyed just by simply getting a divorce.

Stupid article with loads of assumptions anyhow !

Quote:

"For many people paying rent seems like a waste of money and foreigners are offered a route to owning property in two ways.

1. They can set up a Thai Company

2. They can sign over the land title deeds to their Thai spouse

Given the two options, and the number of cases where foreigners have been murdered for their property, I can only conclude that option two has to put the foreigner at greater risk. It is plainly obvious that with the foreigner out of the way the Thai spouse is free to liquidate the asset and enjoy the spoils of her ill gotten gains."

One can also argue that option 2 puts the foreigner at lesser risk !!

In option 2 the foreigner does not have to be removed to get to the land title and assets can be freely liquidated and spoils can be enjoyed just by simply getting a divorce.

Stupid article with loads of assumptions anyhow !

A third option is to buy a condo in your sole name.

Make a Thai Will that your wife is not the beneficiary of, condo or bank accounts.

You can make a new Will at any time if you feel more confident.