73 yrs. Any chance for a decent health insurance?

moonseeker

Just out of interest, have any of you guys who rely on savings ever enquired into the cost of cancer treatment. It would be interesting to know how your nest eggs measure up to whatever the figure might be.

For those that never had cancer, personally, I'd rather let nature take it's course ( with sufficient morphine to take the pain away ) than go through the hell on earth of treatment again. Sometimes it's really not worth it.
A good friend of mine in the USA is a breast cancer survivor. She said the same thing, she would not go through the cancer treatment (chemo and radiation) again and would rather let nature take it's course.

When I was nursing, I noted that most of the cancer patients we had on the ward did not survive long after surgery, and in fact the surgery only seemed to allow the cancer to spread.

When I got cancer, I thought I was too young to just go out without at least attempting to survive, but the long term effects of my surgery have been such, that if I could go back in time, I would refuse treatment and just live as full a life as I could before carking it- wine women and song, in other words.

Let's face it, there is living a full but not long life, and there is just existing till one dies anyway. Unless one has been through it, no one can say that it is better to go under the knife than die after living life to the fullest, even if one dies a few years early.

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of interest, have any of you guys who rely on savings ever enquired into the cost of cancer treatment. It would be interesting to know how your nest eggs measure up to whatever the figure might be.

For those that never had cancer, personally, I'd rather let nature take it's course ( with sufficient morphine to take the pain away ) than go through the hell on earth of treatment again. Sometimes it's really not worth it.

Agreed. It seems that very few people survive cancer anyway. You spend big money, go through a lot of hardship and still end up dead. All the money (or insurance) in the world doesn't help (look at Steve Jobs) etc).

I feel sorry for the Thai wives of farang men that spend millions on trying to beat cancer and die, or have miserable lives after, when they will probably face a life full of hardship due to lack of money.

• Like 1

Why not put the $ 8000 on a bank account and use for medical cost if needed, if no cast in 2 years you can go to hospital (government) long time for $ 16000

Its called self insurance and thats what I do because the older you get the more premiums go up until they dump you as a bad risk.

I read a report recently which was critical of this type of insurer, it basically said there are 5 big insurance groups in the world, they keep premiums higher than they should be because they can, they do not work in your interests.

Do you have evidence to back your claims?

I like the idea of banking your $8000. Medical costs here are much more reasonable than in the West, and that 8k would go a long way. Most policies either won't take you or else charge you greatly for any pre-existing condition, and make that condition an exclusion in your policy.

But, what do any of us know? All you can do to find out is ask a few agents.

It might go a long way but it might not go all the way. I'm looking for Thai or Itnl. insurance since my US insurer does cover anything other than emergency care. Now I'm wondering about the new Affordable Care Act...

Try LMG Pacific.

You might also speak to Admin. at your local government hospital about the new health scheme for foreigners.

I like the idea of banking your $8000. Medical costs here are much more reasonable than in the West, and that 8k would go a long way. Most policies either won't take you or else charge you greatly for any pre-existing condition, and make that condition an exclusion in your policy.

It might go a long way but it might not go all the way. I'm looking for Thai or Itnl. insurance since my US insurer does cover anything other than emergency care. Now I'm wondering about the new Affordable Care Act...

Try LMG Pacific.

You might also speak to Admin. at your local government hospital about the new health scheme for foreigners.

Sorry but what is the new health scheme for foreigners ?

Try LMG Pacific.

I assume that it's available nationwide.

Enquire at the admin. office at your local government hospital. You will be given a medical check for THB600 and pay THB2,200 for one year's cover which I am told matches that available to Thai nationals. I don't know what the limits or restrictions are. I think cover applies only in the Province where you live but that may not be the case.

I have a deductible on my private cover to get a premium reduction so I might look into the government scheme for minor treatments costing below the deductible threshold.

Try LMG Pacific.

I assume that it's available nationwide.

Enquire at the admin. office at your local government hospital. You will be given a medical check for THB600 and pay THB2,200 for one year's cover which I am told matches that available to Thai nationals. I don't know what the limits or restrictions are. I think cover applies only in the Province where you live but that may not be the case.

I have a deductible on my private cover to get a premium reduction so I might look into the government scheme for minor treatments costing below the deductible threshold.

Please give more details about this....ie where did you here about it....is it still just a proposal have you enrolled in this and where.

A friend has already bought into the scheme. He his hospital ID card already. The whole process took just a couple of days.

Could you tell where as this wwould help in talking to the hospital. Also are you sure it is not just a standard hospital card he has which does not give free treatment just access to his records.

A friend has already bought into the scheme. He his hospital ID card already. The whole process took just a couple of days.

Could you tell where as this wwould help in talking to the hospital. Also are you sure it is not just a standard hospital card he has which does not give free treatment just access to his records.

I'll have a word with him tomorrow.

Thanks, this is an important issue for me and I think many other people. I know there is current talk about plans but though it was all in the pipeline. If it is an actual on the grounds proposal even if not fully implimented now it would be good to know about it. Please do not think I do not believe you. Just have to sort rumors or plans from truth and misconceptions.

Unfortunately I think this scheme is just for migrant workers. It is part of Dr Pradit's initiative to deal with cross boundary health issues in connection with Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.

http://elevenmyanmar.com/asean/3320-migrants-to-be-granted-access-to-healthcare-in-thailand

Going back to the general discussion, the problem is that expats are left relying on private insurance when almost no country in the world utilises private indemnity insurance to take care of its elderly population. Unless older people can get access to some form of social or group insurance with risk pooling they are priced out of the market. It isn't just a case of not being willing to pay, but finding oneself subject to pre-existing condition exclusions or non-renewal of cover.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 2

Thanks, this is an important issue for me and I think many other people. I know there is current talk about plans but though it was all in the pipeline. If it is an actual on the grounds proposal even if not fully implimented now it would be good to know about it. Please do not think I do not believe you. Just have to sort rumors or plans from truth and misconceptions.

I agree. So much that's said turns out to be rumour and speculation.

He has his hospital ID card and was told that he now has the same 'cover' as Thai nationals. He believes that this new scheme is available throughout the country but, perhaps, available to each member only in his own Province.

My wife has been to our local hospital Admin. Department and was given confirmation that the scheme is in force. It just has not been publicised. My friend found out about it from a hospital Admin. employee in his soi.

The scheme might be useful to me for treatment that costs less than my private insurance deductible so I think I'll follow up my wife's visit. When I find out more I'll post. In the meantime, why not pay a visit to your local hospital Admin. and see what they can tell you?

I am retired in Chiang Rai, 69 years old. Only with the US medicare, not able to pay $700 US dollars/month for private insurance.

I got married 6 months ago and was shopping for private health insurance for my Thai wife. She is 47. Surprising.... AIA an Ayuttaya quoted a good health insurance plan with life insurance included for 25000thb/year for her......and......36000thb/year for me.

By the way...I also found out that if you are an expat under 60 and with work permit, you can get Thai FREE social security, and also private health insurance under 10000thb/year....with BUPA Insurance.

I am very healthy, but the few times I used Government hospitals the service was good and the pricing was low..even if was set for farangs.

After only few months living here, I got a bite from a street dog, and I had to get all the anti rabies and tetanus shots during 3 months visits. Total cost $250 US....the same cost of the single yellow fever vaccine I got n the US before coming to Asia.

By the way..again...I found out by that experience, that Thailand is the #3 country in the world with rabies infections, first is India....and I found out..kind of late..that is recommended to get a preventative vaccine before coming to Asia, to avoid all that treatment in case of a street dog bite.

Sometimes you learn in the hard way.....

I have thought about this long and hard for some time. It is all very well saying that you prefer to die at home than go through unpleasant treatments, but who knows how you will be feeling when you hear the dreaded C word? I'm not sure that it is all that easy to get hold of morphine for use at home.

Going to a public hospital is not my idea of fun. Worse than in the UK 50 years ago, not clean, dependent on family to keep you clean and fed on something else than rice soup, and I have been told that you are still expected to pay for your medicines, otherwise they let you rot there, as they tend to do with Thais anyway. You can rent a private room for ฿600.- a day.

I went to a private hospital locally (Buriram) that seemed a lot better run and have much shorter waiting times than at the public (6 hours or more) and did the necessary to get a card from them. They have my address, a few health details, realise that I am not an unserious Farang that is trying to exploit the system.

I have a cheap Thai insurance that I had to conclude before the age of 65, am saving ฿6600.- a month as self insurance and have the possibility of going back home for treatment.

I have thought about this long and hard for some time. It is all very well saying that you prefer to die at home than go through unpleasant treatments, but who knows how you will be feeling when you hear the dreaded C word? I'm not sure that it is all that easy to get hold of morphine for use at home.

Going to a public hospital is not my idea of fun. Worse than in the UK 50 years ago, not clean, dependent on family to keep you clean and fed on something else than rice soup, and I have been told that you are still expected to pay for your medicines, otherwise they let you rot there, as they tend to do with Thais anyway. You can rent a private room for ฿600.- a day.

I went to a private hospital locally (Buriram) that seemed a lot better run and have much shorter waiting times than at the public (6 hours or more) and did the necessary to get a card from them. They have my address, a few health details, realise that I am not an unserious Farang that is trying to exploit the system.

I have a cheap Thai insurance that I had to conclude before the age of 65, am saving ฿6600.- a month as self insurance and have the possibility of going back home for treatment.

I've had the "dreaded C", and the thought of going through all that again is more horrifying than dying.

I'd go home though, as I understand getting morphine in LOS is very difficult, and I wouldn't like to die like that.

< I'm not sure that it is all that easy to get hold of morphine for use at home. > I wouldn't like to die at home, much prefer a hospital. I can imagine my poor wife trying to take care of my large bulk and that's something I wouldn't inflict on her under any circumstance.

If you come from the UK and have been living outside the country for a certain length of time, you will only get emergency care when you step off the plane, not long term curative treatment. You are supposed to be living in the country to get full service.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I've had the "dreaded C", and the thought of going through all that again is more horrifying than dying.

I'd go home though, as I understand getting morphine in LOS is very difficult, and I wouldn't like to die like that.

< I'm not sure that it is all that easy to get hold of morphine for use at home. > I wouldn't like to die at home, much prefer a hospital. I can imagine my poor wife trying to take care of my large bulk and that's something I wouldn't inflict on her under any circumstance.

If you come from the UK and have been living outside the country for a certain length of time, you will only get emergency care when you step off the plane, not long term curative treatment. You are supposed to be living in the country to get full service.

From age 65 you can go back to the UK and get the full NHS entitlement.

This is not correct. If you step off the plane and state you intend to resume permanent residence you are entitled to full NHS treatment.