Slow International Internet in Thailand

brucegoniners

Its normal for 8.8.8.8 to provide low ping results because google has direct peering with Thai ISPs due to google/youtube traffic.

Not to mention sub 40 ms means it is very very close to his location. If not pinging a server in Thailand, it cannot be farther than maybe Hong Kong or Singapore (within the region).

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its normal for 8.8.8.8 to provide low ping results because google has direct peering with Thai ISPs due to google/youtube traffic.

Exactly! It says a lot about your backbone when someone gets 30 or less, but others get 70-80, within the same city. In Norway I got 4ms from home office to my employer 40km away (through VPN, routers, Wifi).

With True, i get atleast 25ms pinging their own DNS!

I am using True ADSL 13M/1M from a condo along Rama 3, BKK. Here are some ping times:

TRUE DNS

Pinging 203.144.207.49 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 203.144.207.49: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=250
Reply from 203.144.207.49: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=250
Reply from 203.144.207.49: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=250
Reply from 203.144.207.49: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=250

Ping statistics for 203.144.207.49:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 20ms

OpenDNS

Pinging 208.67.222.222 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 208.67.222.222: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 208.67.222.222:
Minimum = 49ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 49ms

Google DNS

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=45
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=45
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=45

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 53ms

Personally, I have rarely got improved performance over my ISP's DNS servers in comparison to using Google or OpenDNS servers. I'm on a True DOCSIS (cable) 14Mb down/1.4Mb up plan. I live in western Bangkok. Same applied regarding DNS server performance when I was on TOT and JINET ADSL...that is, the TOT DNS server gave better performance than Google and OpenDNS. Your results may vary but be sure to do some testing to confirm which DNS service is "really" providing the best performance compared to your possible religious-type belief about a certain DNS service.

For example, from about 7:05pm to 7:25pm tonight I used DSLReports Speedtester to test to their Los Angeles server using True's, Google's and OpenDNS's servers. I ran 3 tests using each DSN server and before doing each test of 3 I would run the "ipconfig /flushDNS" command to remove any DNS memory...ensure my computer was using the DNS server routings I just selected versus old DSN routings possibly in computer memory. Below are my results.

As you will see True's DNS servers came in first in ping, download, and upload times/speeds...Google 2nd for download speed...OpenDNS 3rd for download speed....Google and OpenDNS tied for 2nd for ping time and just a nose behind True DNS. The average download speed using the True DNS was approx. 37% faster than the 3rd place download speed finisher which was OpenDNS.

True DNS

Ping DL Speed UL Speed

220 1.184Mb 0.993Mb

220 2.546Mb 0.913Mb

232 1.727Mb 0.963Mb

226 1.486Mb 0.956Mb Average of 3 tests

Google DNS

231 1.685Mb 0.949Mb

224 0.741Mb 0.895Mb

242 1.241Mb 0.910Mb

232 1.222Mb 0.918Mb Average of 3 tests

OpenDSN

221 0.860Mb 0.984Mb

242 1.140Mb 0.932Mb

232 1.270Mb 0.900Mb

232 1.090Mb 0.938Mb Average of 3 tests

Note: I also used Speedtest.net to their Wired San Francisco server to run the same series of tests, but with Speedtest.net being easily fooled by local cache servers I got download speeds ranging from 4.38Mb to 17.60Mb, but the average download speed was around 10Mb and the upload speed was 1.5Mb with ping times of 216 to 220. But even with these probably bogus download speeds, True's DNS came in first for ping/DL/UL, closely followed by Google in 2nd place, and OpenDNS wasn't too far back in 3rd place. But as mentioned, this was using Speedtest.net which can be easily fooled in ping and download speeds even thought tonight it was reporting valid ping times and probably upload speeds...but the download speed to the U.S. probably was not really around 10Mb....according to the DSLReports speedtester result above which is much harder to fool, the download speed was a little over 1Mb--probably more believable.

In closing, your results may vary...I have no doubt a certain DNS service does help some folks. Heck, where I mentioned I "rarely" get improved performance by using another DNS service other than my ISP's, well, there have been short periods of a few days when True seemed really slow that switching to the GoogleDNS seemed to make things a little faster....other times when True was acting slow switching to GoogleDNS or OpenDNS didn't help...when True's international gateway is overloaded I doubt any DNS will help much of any. Yeap, your results may vary.

C:\Documents and Settings\New>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [61.19.1.55] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 61.19.1.55: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 61.19.1.55:

Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms

If you want to test your speed from Thailand to a server abroad , I can recommend using this site :

www.testmy.net

It is a very accurate speed test out of Thailand.

Now I normally use a 6MB line from TOT , it only cost me 599 baht .

I see no point in subscribing to a more expensive package since the speed is so slow anyway .

Between 6 and 9 pm I only get 0.2 to 1 mb speed outside of Thailand so it is impossible to watch any streamed content.

During daytime and late at night I will get speeds up to 4 MB to Europe and US , more than enough to watch TV channels.

As a backup I use my phone with DTAC 3G and connect it to my PC as a wifi modem .

It is actually better to use than TOT during the evenings since TOT speed is so slow then .

Edited by balo

That is probably just a ping time from your router or some local cache server very close to your residence. 2ms ping time ain't very far away when you also consider delay times just to get through the electronics. I just pinged www.google.com and got a 12ms ping time which is probably a True server in central Bangkok mirroring google.com info...I live in western Bangkok....basically the same ping time I get when using a speedtester to test to a Bangkok server.

If you want to test your speed from Thailand to a server abroad , I can recommend using this site :

www.testmy.net

I see no point in subscribing to a more expensive package since the speed is so slow anyway .

Between 6 and 9 pm I only get 0.2 to 1 mb speed outside of Thailand so it is impossible to watch any streamed content.

During daytime and late at night I will get speeds up to 4 MB to Europe and US , more than enough to watch TV channels.

As a backup I use my phone with DTAC 3G and connect it to my PC as a wifi modem .

It is actually better to use than TOT during the evenings since TOT speed is so slow then .

Its now 22:50

Results 1.9Mbts Down

562Kbs Up

3BB

www.testmy.net

testmy.net speedtester is definitely a good speedtester, but it uses its own special testing algorithm and relies heavily on transmitting "random" data back and forth versus larger sequential files. Using that tester I usually get around 2Mb download speed, sometimes around 2.5Mb, on my True 14Mb/1.4Mb DOCSIS plan.

That is probably just a ping time from your router or some local cache server very close to your residence. 2ms ping time ain't very far away when you also consider delay times just to get through the electronics. I just pinged www.google.com and got a 12ms ping time which is probably a True server in central Bangkok mirroring google.com info...I live in western Bangkok....basically the same ping time I get when using a speedtester to test to a Bangkok server.

i get 0 ms ping on speedtest.net bangkok server on my private corporate line. dont know if thats normal

Edited by shariq607

0ms is another one of those bogus faster than the speed of light results speedtest.net can give you on some networks.

Sent from my tabl

i don't think so, well off course it cannot be 0 ms but it could be between the range of (0.10 ms to 0.99 ms) but since speedtest.net does not show ping results in decimal but in integers it is likely to show actual result of ping numbers rounded up to nearest integers for instance lets say my actual ping was 0.90 ms, speedtest.net is likely to show it as 0 ms and usually pinging to big servers in thailand using Terminal application on mac it shows numbers in decimals and not in integers like it does on command prompt and sometime i can see pings of 0.9777, now if you say even direct programs like terminal on mac and command prompt on windows are bogus then i guess i don't know what to say.

i get 0 ms ping on speedtest.net bangkok server on my private corporate line. dont know if thats normal

That just proves your connection is like it should be. Hope you could share some more information about it. I might be interested in such a line.

so far so good.

But all the (faked) speed-tests, ping-test, etc. pp. are more or less useless/irrelevant, since we all know that the international speed is just crap.

We have no influence at all.

And, what does a (theoretical) DL speed from 10 Mbit mean, if even a 400kbit stream is unplayable, most time of the day?

In summary

The lines/gateways are overbooked/overloaded, since everybody has a smartphone/tablet these days.

International bandwidth costs money (ouch), so only the absolutely minimum of bandwidth is bought by our honest ISP.

Period

0ms is another one of those bogus faster than the speed of light results speedtest.net can give you on some networks.

Sent from my tabl

i don't think so, well off course it cannot be 0 ms but it could be between the range of (0.10 ms to 0.99 ms) but since speedtest.net does not show ping results in decimal but in integers it is likely to show actual result of ping numbers rounded up to nearest integers for instance lets say my actual ping was 0.90 ms, speedtest.net is likely to show it as 0 ms and usually pinging to big servers in thailand using Terminal application on mac it shows numbers in decimals and not in integers like it does on command prompt and sometime i can see pings of 0.9777, now if you say even direct programs like terminal on mac and command prompt on windows are bogus then i guess i don't know what to say.

How close do you live to that Bangkok speedtest server assuming you live in Bangkok?

Edit: I just pinged my own Wifi router IP address here in my home....the router is upstairs...my laptop is downstairs....ping time 1ms....makes sense considering the electronics delay involved. But when I ping to one of the Bangkok speedtest.net servers most likely in central/highrise Bangkok which is probably about 12 kilometers away as the bird flies but probably more as the fiber/copper runs along the poles, the ping time is 10ms. It takes approx. 5ms for light to travel 1000 kilometers through a fiber line...so 12 kilometers or really 24 kilometers roundtrip wouldn't even really register, but a person still has to go through various switches/servers/routers/other electronics which all create delay in the round trip ping trip. Heck, as mentioned, I get a 1ms ping time just between my laptop and Wifi router...no doubt he ping command probably only displays ping time to the nearest millisecond so maybe it really takes less time for my laptop to transmit the ping, my router to receive it and then send a reply and my laptop to display the ping result. Don't know. But I'm just suspicious of a 0ms ping time between your location in Thailand to one of the Bangkok speedtest.net servers. I would still guess speedtest.net is being fooled on the ping time which is not uncommon for speedtest.net....I would expect it's being fooled by possibly cached results in your modem/router or computer memory or some switch on a nearby pole.

Edited by Pib

Sent from my tabl

How close do you live to that Bangkok speedtest server assuming you live in Bangkok?

Edit: I just pinged my own Wifi router IP address here in my home....the router is upstairs...my laptop is downstairs....ping time 1ms....makes sense considering the electronics delay involved. But when I ping to one of the Bangkok speedtest.net servers most likely in central/highrise Bangkok which is probably about 12 kilometers away as the bird flies but probably more as the fiber/copper runs along the poles, the ping time is 10ms. It takes approx. 5ms for light to travel 1000 kilometers through a fiber line...so 12 kilometers or really 24 kilometers roundtrip wouldn't even really register, but a person still has to go through various switches/servers/routers/other electronics which all create delay in the round trip ping trip. Heck, as mentioned, I get a 1ms ping time just between my laptop and Wifi router...no doubt he ping command probably only displays ping time to the nearest millisecond so maybe it really takes less time for my laptop to transmit the ping, my router to receive it and then send a reply and my laptop to display the ping result. Don't know. But I'm just suspicious of a 0ms ping time between your location in Thailand to one of the Bangkok speedtest.net servers. I would still guess speedtest.net is being fooled on the ping time which is not uncommon for speedtest.net....I would expect it's being fooled by possibly cached results in your modem/router or computer memory or some switch on a nearby pole.

i live in Sukhumvit bkk more specifically speaking asok area of sukhumvit and i get 0ms ping with sts server but other servers such as dtac or ais i get 1-2 ms ping but could it be that maybe the response time of fiber routers are better than dsl/cable routers? also my isp central head office is just 500 meters away and the fiber line comes directly from their building.

in addition, i just did a test to los angeles and singapore server and got a ping result of 198 ms for los angeles and 28 ms for singapore.

shariq607 was using a very expensive cat fiber connection if I'm remembering correctly.

it should have best ping times for the cost and yes fiber connections have least overhead / ping overhead compared to dsl/cable/wireless connection methods.

Here is my true docsis ping times for reference

admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# ping 8.8.8.8 -c 5
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=45 time=40.131 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=45 time=36.816 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=45 time=40.671 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=45 time=41.026 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=4 ttl=45 time=43.213 ms

Singapore

admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# ping oneasiahost.com -c 5
PING oneasiahost.com (116.251.208.203): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 116.251.208.203: seq=0 ttl=50 time=38.187 ms
64 bytes from 116.251.208.203: seq=1 ttl=50 time=37.797 ms
64 bytes from 116.251.208.203: seq=2 ttl=50 time=38.158 ms
64 bytes from 116.251.208.203: seq=3 ttl=50 time=42.245 ms
64 bytes from 116.251.208.203: seq=4 ttl=50 time=39.087 ms

just for comparison and reference here is a few of my speedtest to international servers on my 100 mb Plan

2994868854.png

2994884973.png

2994899448.png

strange i just did a speedtest to testmy,net and its only showing 14.6 mb download @ san jose about half of what speedtest.net

Download speed is breathtaking but why upload is so limited? They should give more for the bill you're paying.

just for comparison and reference here is a few of my speedtest to international servers on my 100 mb Plan

2994868854.png

2994884973.png

2994899448.png

strange i just did a speedtest to testmy,net and its only showing 14.6 mb download @ san jose about half of what speedtest.net

Do not trust speedtest.net .

Instead use testmy.net It is much more reliable. Choose Automatic Test , it will retest your internet connection over time, every hour or you can choose how often it will run the test.

This is my result connected to a server in Amsterdam, NL for the last 2 days from Chonburi with TOT 6Mb line. As you can see it is very variable results.

gx33.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i live in Sukhumvit bkk more specifically speaking asok area of sukhumvit and i get 0ms ping with sts server but other servers such as dtac or ais i get 1-2 ms ping but could it be that maybe the response time of fiber routers are better than dsl/cable routers? also my isp central head office is just 500 meters away and the fiber line comes directly from their building.

in addition, i just did a test to los angeles and singapore server and got a ping result of 198 ms for los angeles and 28 ms for singapore.

I expect with the isp central office being only 500 meters away that is where you may be getting your ping time/cached results from. And if using Speedtest.net to determine your ping time, it can be easily fooled.

I've been on True DOCSIS, a 14Mb plan, now for about two years and up until a couple of months ago I could get 10ms ping times to most any Speedtest.net server on Earth and download speeds real close to 14Mb to most any server on Earth. However, if I went through True's proxy server the ping times then became accurate and download speeds varied quite a bit from server to server and dropped back into the real world...like 2-6Mb download speed. But sometime over the last few months, and whether I use the True proxy or not, I get realistic ping times and upload speeds, but the download speed is still very high to most international speedtest servers unless using the proxy server. And when I was on TOT ADSL Speedtest.net seemed to give me realistic ping, download, and upload results which matched java-based testers. Seems to vary from network to network as to if and how flash-based testers like Speedtest.net are fooled into giving partial or complete bogus results. While java-based testers will usually give a person significantly lower international download speeds as least these java-based testers are almost always displaying real world results versus skewed/fooled results caused by local caching.

Speedtest.net is fine for checking your local, basic connection to ensure you are getting what you are paying for, but for international tests I consider it about as reliable as a politician running for election. I only use it to check my local/basic connection and when I want to dream of the international speeds I wish I could get. I also use the mobile Speedtest.net to test my 3G connection but only for the basic connection to the 3G tower.

2994868854.png

2994884973.png

2994899448.png

Not strange at all...testmy.net is not being fooled by local caching like speedtest.net is.

Thai ISPs has too many routers in-Thailand. Just like their Thai address system, it consists of too many things.

Just do traceroute to any website outside of Thailand, you'll see about 10 routing before you are out of Thailand.

Ain't that the truth. I just used VisualRoute to trace the route to ThaiVisa.com in Mt View California. 14 hops...10 of the 14 hops were within Thailand...and I'm in Bangkok...may be more hops for you folks outside of Bangkok. But at least there was very little ping time between the in-Thailand hops....that big jump across the ocean though is where all the ping time occurs.

My the way folks, you can download/use VisualRoute for 15 days free. Download from this Link. Small program...only around 4.5Mb in size. Good program to visually see the hops/ping times occurring between you and whatever website you are trying to reach.

Edited by Pib

This explanation of the Ookla/Speedtest/Flash-based speedtesters from the testmy.net website, "especially the multi-threading explanation," may help explain why Speedtest.net and ISP's Ookla testers (a.k.a., Flash-based testers) often give you great speed results to faroff Farang Land, but then you wonder why you can't stream a simple YouTube video or do live video streaming without a ton of buffering. And remember, video streaming is generally a "single-threaded" operation and demands a steady, consistent data flow vs stop & go; streaming video is not "multi-threaded" like torrent/download manager downloads. Of course it still don't explain how Speedtest.net can sometimes report ping times to faroff Farang Land like the server you are trying to reach is just across the soi....what's happening there is the speedtester is being fooled by local cache servers.

Edit: Also, from what I can figure out from googling-up information, "browsing" is generally a single-threaded affair also although HTML5 programming is apparently allowing some multi-threading. And since Java is single-threaded, use of Java-based speed testers testers will probably give you more realistic download speeds you will see with your single-threaded browser. So, maybe Speedtest.net might be good to show what international speeds you could get when using torrent/download managers which are usually multi-threaded, and Java-based speed testers like testmy.net might be good to show what international speeds you could get with browsing, video streaming, and emailing.

Edited by Pib

Got CAT Fiber today, finally...

True DNS

Pinging 203.144.207.49 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 203.144.207.49: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=247
Reply from 203.144.207.49: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=247
Reply from 203.144.207.49: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=247
Reply from 203.144.207.49: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=247
Ping statistics for 203.144.207.49:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 3ms