Recent Transport Disasters Blamed On Spirits

Lite Beer

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I really just read this? Is this for real? So, a Snake God and bad spirits are plaguing the Thailand transport system, that's the official position from the authorities. Assuming that you have belief in the spirit world, since when did they target a transport network? Is this a spirit world conspiracy to stop people from traveling?

This is clearly an unbelievable load of old pony and only highlights the mentality of the people in charge. Do people really believe this? Even if they have faith in their own religion surely people can see that this is a very poor attempt to take attention away from the appalling safety conditions of the railway (i have travelled on the trains and seen it for myself) and I can only guess that the airline receives the same poor attention.

I feel sad for Thai people as the world looks on in disbelief and laughs. But more importantly, the word will look on and be asking what are they doing to improve the safety of the transport system, this is peoples lives you are playing with. By all means do whatever ceremony you believe necessary that supports your belief but do it in conjunction with a complete safety overhaul and then publish that to the world.

I have no problem with the Monks and others doing their spiritual, religious thing. I do have a problem when the people who are actually supposed to use science, engineering and reasoning rely on this stuff.

Very scary; light 3 incense sticks and then drive a van at 140 Km/hr.

Now that would be silly without an amulet.

• Like 2

I wonder if the Western media will pick up on this statement issued by this airline and what will the other Western pilots think of the issue. There could be a lot of leg pulling between the pilots when they see a Thai pilot approaching. Like saying, have you got your lucky mascot with you?

The only real enemies who threaten a country can be found at home, these are ignorance, superstition and incompetence. (Elbert Green Hubbard, American writer, essayist, philosopher, and publisher)

Superstition is the religion of fools. (Edmund Burke, Irish-British writer, philosopher and politician in the state during the Enlightenment. Considered as the spiritual father of conservatism)

Quite interesting how pseudo-educated people in high positions put the blame for their own lack of professionalism to spirits. Very convenient! However, the further educated rest of the world will look at them as what they are...

• Like 1

@gentlemanjim...I just asked my missus if there's a Thai word for "gremlins"...No was her answer.

@bagwan....Perhaps in or around 3K BC.

@EvilDrSomKid...I have....They're sending crews as I hack this for an in depth report.

@Chooka...You have a very good point there chooka...But which amulet would be
appropriate...that black round big one that was popular a few years ago?!

Now let's all sing along....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzRXtIiRKLk

• Like 1

What a compete load of superstitious, nonsensical <deleted>

and this is the guy running the whole show....?!

Was AOT CEO now Thai Airways CEO, and in these roles we have a person who has to resort to the medium etc.

GET on with running the Job properly, or get out and go into the spirit world.

In the other paper this morning there are reports that the Chiang Mai line train derailments may be being caused by bad luck emanating from a damaged painting hanging in the State Railway of Thailand HQ:

It 'shows wear and tear around the railway tracks fuelling rumours that it was a "bad omen" and had caused frequent derailments'.

No one really mentions the good spirits,are they hiding, or is it they have lost to the dark side yet again? These remarks can be made in Thailand because everybody believes in it.

There must be many "good spirits." Just ask a cop who turns home with his pockets full of tea money.

I have no problem with the Monks and others doing their spiritual, religious thing. I do have a problem when the people who are actually supposed to use science, engineering and reasoning rely on this stuff.

Yeah it's clear these people didn't get to their position through competence. From the article we have the (former, fortunately) director of the international airport and meteorology dept. -

"Dr. Smith Thammasaroj, former director of Suvarnnabhumi Airport, told Thai Rath he was convinced of the existence of supernatural entities around the airport even though, he admitted, he had never encountered any particular case personally.

The scientist who once headed Thailand′s Meteorological Department said he had invited so many psychics to conduct ceremonies and constructed so many shrines "that I can′t keep count".

"We even had to build a condominium for the ghosts to reside," Dr. Smith said, "Because the spirits are so many individual spirit houses won′t be enough"."

How unfortunate that Dr Smith is called a scientist here.

Is that the same Dr Smith from Lost in Space?.

• Like 1

Oh please, Do they know how ridiculous this sounds to the world and they look like complete loony tunes. Shut up with this facing saving bullshite and stop blaming it on ghosts and spirits. Elvis came down and dragged me out of my seat I tried to stop him but we had already hot the tarmac.

The suposed guardian spirit in Thai Airlines uniform helping passengers was also witnessed by memebers of the Fire and Rescue team who claimed that everythime she passed their position their comms reception was broken up by the static electricity. I'm sure spirits were involved probably Lao Khau and this might well apply to many of the train drivers involved in derailments.

The guardian spirit is official as ahe was wearing traditional costume worn by flight attendants to welcome passengers on board before they change into the more functional flight uniform. All of the attendants on the flight were in working uniform at the time of the crash not the traditional one so it could not have been one of them.

The only reasonable conclusion is a kind, guardian spirit.

If this wasn't so serious it would be hysterical and remember this story, the prayer ceremonies etc. are conducted by and believed in by supposedly rational, adult professionals running an airline.

If this is how they operate it's hardly reassuring for passengers.

What a compete load of superstitious, nonsensical <deleted>

Someone please enlighten me that this is a 'spoof' article!!!!

Can you imagine the head of a FTSE100 company having a bit of bad luck with the companies fortunes ordering 'spirit appeasing' sessions in all of the underperforming divisions?

This is just so funny I can't take any more!!!w00t.gifblink.png.

Did I really just read this? Is this for real? So, a Snake God and bad spirits are plaguing the Thailand transport system, that's the official position from the authorities. Assuming that you have belief in the spirit world, since when did they target a transport network? Is this a spirit world conspiracy to stop people from traveling?

This is clearly an unbelievable load of old pony and only highlights the mentality of the people in charge. Do people really believe this? Even if they have faith in their own religion surely people can see that this is a very poor attempt to take attention away from the appalling safety conditions of the railway (i have travelled on the trains and seen it for myself) and I can only guess that the airline receives the same poor attention.

I feel sad for Thai people as the world looks on in disbelief and laughs. But more importantly, the word will look on and be asking what are they doing to improve the safety of the transport system, this is peoples lives you are playing with. By all means do whatever ceremony you believe necessary that supports your belief but do it in conjunction with a complete safety overhaul and then publish that to the world.

How do you ride in a train car and see the poor condition of the road bed under the car?

Maybe these sort of comments are designed for the domestic audience? A lot of simple, and also not so simple, Thai folk will be very relieved to know the airline and airport are making some merit. I guess the airline and airport staff also.

Of course, it sounds loony tunes to an international audience, but the stories were in Thai publications. So long as they don't get international exposure, fine.

I do hope safety procedures are being looked at as well as spirit ceremonies though.

• Like 1