Recent Transport Disasters Blamed On Spirits

Lite Beer

What's so looney about this? Voodoo is absolutely real to those that believe in it. They have created their own collective poltergeist. I double dare any who live in BKK to go buy a Gumon Tong (Thai ghost baby) from an amulet merchant--then neglect it, refuse to offer it candy and milk, and otherwise abuse it. Let me know how your luck goes, and if it's good-- I may reconsider my entire belief system.

Pretty please.

Some people absolutely believe in the tooth fairy, Father Christmas, vampires and zombies, but this doesn't make them real

some people come to Thailand and very quickly absolutely believe they are a "hansoome man" even though they make look like shrek..

Organized religions, and beliefs just methods for one group of people to control another group of people.....

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just give Thai airways a nickname like Gop or Noy?

then when the bad spirits come looking for Thai Airways the just say, "no, it's only *insert nickname* here, keep looking"

Isn't that why Thais have nicknames? To confuse the spirits? That's what I was told anyway.

There you go Thai Airways, problem solved. Just call yourselves Gop or Noy airways.

• Like 1

...........Probably goes a long way to explain the origins and universal prevalence of the belief in ghosts and spirits.....When those in power; leaders, chieftans, village heads, kings, queens, high priests, shamans, witch doctors etc. got it wrong............"Dont blame me, blame the spirits!........You need to bring more animals to sacrifice...........not to mention that the freezer needs restocking!"

Edited by Scott
Font

The USA has sky marshals the Thais will have sky monks.cheesy.gif

On a serious note unless all you posters claim to be atheists you shouldn't make fun of Thai beliefs. Are Thai ghosts less real than the holy ghost god/allah?

(Snipped)

Why would you think everyone is making fun of the people's beliefs? My mother was deeply religious, but she still wore her seatbelt.

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the ceremonies. I do, however, have a concern when it is used instead of due diligence with regard to safety.

Thais don't need due diligence just ask the Thai soldiers wearing the bullet deflecting amulets or the Thai motorcyclist wearing his force field amulet.

Can you imagine if Richard Branson or the MD of British Airways said "Ghosts are causing air accidents and maintenance problems on our fleet, we've called in an exorcist".

Or the Chairman of Network Rail said "Poltergeists are causing faults with switches and stop lights".

I mean they'd get sectioned and the authorities would start pulling operating licences.

I was going to mention that. A helicopter crashes in the jungle. Another one goes out to rescue them and also crashes then a third crashes 20 minutes taking off.

What do they do?

Organise a big "spirits of the forest" placating ceremony. This is with top military commanders in attendance.

No talk of maintenance and why they crashed or the fact the pilots actually had to do some flying, not just the set runs they normally do in good weather.

What's so looney about this? Voodoo is absolutely real to those that believe in it. They have created their own collective poltergeist. I double dare any who live in BKK to go buy a Gumon Tong (Thai ghost baby) from an amulet merchant--then neglect it, refuse to offer it candy and milk, and otherwise abuse it. Let me know how your luck goes, and if it's good-- I may reconsider my entire belief system.

Pretty please.

what a load of "horse Dung"

What a compete load of superstitious, nonsensical <deleted>

For sure! But if the pilots were on spirits that'll account for the heavy landing!!

At least one heavenly spirit stayed behind to help the passengers off one the crew had legged it!!!

The USA has sky marshals the Thais will have sky monks.cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

On a serious note unless all you posters claim to be atheists you shouldn't make fun of Thai beliefs. Are Thai ghosts less real than the holy ghost god/allah? First world countries who have freedom of information and decent educational institutions are still full of people who believe in holy ghosts/invisible friend. The USA christians are just a crazy as the Middle East muslims only the world doesn't pay much attention to them because they don't blow people up regularly. It is hypocritical for posters who believe in gods to make fun of the Thais just because they advertise there beliefs. Why don't you make fun of the American president for publicly admitting his belief in holy ghosts. He is the most powerful man on the planet not some politically appointed CEO of a two bit airline.

This is not about making fun of religion. This is the CEO of an international airline, apportioning some blame to spirits for what is likely a metal fatigue issue on an aircraft. This is about making a public statement that appeasing these spirits is some how part of the rectification process in ensuring this doesn't happen again. This is about people believing that a ghost cabin crew helped them off the aircraft! Shall we look forward to having that in future pre-flight safety briefs on Thai? "Ladies and Gentlemen this is the Captain speaking. , in the event of an evacuation please go to your nearest exit where a member of the Cabin Crew will be there to assist you. In the event the Cabin crew are not there or incapacitated, please follow the instructions of our duty Ghost Crew, who will be clearly identifiable from their see through floaty type behaviour"

• Like 1

Indeed many traffic accidents, beatings and murders can be blamed on "spirits" ... alcohol spirits, that is.

Actually when I first read this heading I truly thought they were talking about a transport disaster that was caused by drunk driver(s). 555

Just goes to show how many farangs really don't understand the "Thai mind". You must be here just for the ladies. Hope the curse that your Isaan bargirl GF puts on you doesn't come true. The consensus here is that either religion is a sham, Thais believe in the tooth fairy, etc. It's animism--not Buddhism, and it's the oldest, most ubiquitous belief system in the world.

You don't have to believe in what they do, but when you mock it, you just show how superior you are to "them".

Can't you just suspend your superiority for a moment and replace it with anthropological curiosity?

Most of the comments sound as if they were made by British East India Company employees on a tear through Asia.

• Like 2

Sorry but no. Thai Airways International is just that. . . International.

When airline safety or lack therof is put down to the supernatural . . .

You get the idea.

Sent from my MotoA953 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You get the idea.

I get that, but they must ease the minds of those who are flying (mostly Thai nationals--not farang), and they do this through spirit appeasement.

BTW, what's the first thing most people do when they think their plane is going to crash? Do they ask for a mechanic to crawl out on the wing and fix the engine? No, they pray--to whatever gods may be listening.

So yeah, they need to fix the stupid airplanes, but they also have to appease the spirits (at least to make those flying the airline feel better).

A little Johnny Walker Black Label, some chocolates, joss sticks, etc. and they are good to go.

FYI, there are many good books on this subject. I recommend this one for starters. http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Witchcraft-Sorcery-Southeast-Asia/dp/0824815157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379281944&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+witchcraft+and+sorcery+in+southeast+asia

Edited by KuhnPaen

The USA has sky marshals the Thais will have sky monks.cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

On a serious note unless all you posters claim to be atheists you shouldn't make fun of Thai beliefs. Are Thai ghosts less real than the holy ghost god/allah? First world countries who have freedom of information and decent educational institutions are still full of people who believe in holy ghosts/invisible friend. The USA christians are just a crazy as the Middle East muslims only the world doesn't pay much attention to them because they don't blow people up regularly. It is hypocritical for posters who believe in gods to make fun of the Thais just because they advertise there beliefs. Why don't you make fun of the American president for publicly admitting his belief in holy ghosts. He is the most powerful man on the planet not some politically appointed CEO of a two bit airline.

This is not about making fun of religion. This is the CEO of an international airline, apportioning some blame to spirits for what is likely a metal fatigue issue on an aircraft. This is about making a public statement that appeasing these spirits is some how part of the rectification process in ensuring this doesn't happen again. This is about people believing that a ghost cabin crew helped them off the aircraft! Shall we look forward to having that in future pre-flight safety briefs on Thai? "Ladies and Gentlemen this is the Captain speaking. , in the event of an evacuation please go to your nearest exit where a member of the Cabin Crew will be there to assist you. In the event the Cabin crew are not there or incapacitated, please follow the instructions of our duty Ghost Crew, who will be clearly identifiable from their see through floaty type behaviour"

This is not about making fun of other peoples beliefs than ones own. This is about putting down other peoples religious views that vary from ones own. This is the kind of thinking that has led to wars your religious views are different than mine there fore you must change them or be punished. I am rite you are wrong.

What the hell do you care they are doing all the proper mechanical work. That is all you should be concerned with. If you want to attack them do it over painting the name black. Thai air has a good record just some old planes with high prices and some shabby interiors. Do you feel superior or some thing? This is not just aimed at you personally it is aimed at all who make fun of others religion. It is not my religion but I respect the people who have it the same as I do the Christian's and other religions. Even your beliefs or lack of belief makes no difference to me except when you take the attitude that yours are superior to others. As I said concern your self with the proper maintenance unless you know different. In that case let us know. Show us the horrible things happening to Thai aircraft as a result of these other things you know.

You get the idea.

Answer me this o wise one. If they put the safety or lack of down to the supernatural.

Why do they do physical maintenance?

By attributing the problem to ghosts, the guy from Thai Airways was clearly pandering to the sensibilities of the Thai public in general. If he were trying to do the same to the esteemed readers of the TV news forum, he'd surely have blamed Thaksin for it and restored international faith in the company at a stroke.

The USA has sky marshals the Thais will have sky monks.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

This is not about making fun of other peoples beliefs than ones own. This is about putting down other peoples religious views that vary from ones own. This is the kind of thinking that has led to wars your religious views are different than mine there fore you must change them or be punished. I am rite you are wrong.

What the hell do you care they are doing all the proper mechanical work. That is all you should be concerned with. If you want to attack them do it over painting the name black. Thai air has a good record just some old planes with high prices and some shabby interiors. Do you feel superior or some thing? This is not just aimed at you personally it is aimed at all who make fun of others religion. It is not my religion but I respect the people who have it the same as I do the Christian's and other religions. Even your beliefs or lack of belief makes no difference to me except when you take the attitude that yours are superior to others. As I said concern your self with the proper maintenance unless you know different. In that case let us know. Show us the horrible things happening to Thai aircraft as a result of these other things you know.

Having Ghost cabin crew help you off the aircraft is nothing to do with religion. As for the rest of your rant, I really don't understand what you are going on about.

Just goes to show how many farangs really don't understand the "Thai mind". You must be here just for the ladies. Hope the curse that your Isaan bargirl GF puts on you doesn't come true. The consensus here is that either religion is a sham, Thais believe in the tooth fairy, etc. It's animism--not Buddhism, and it's the oldest, most ubiquitous belief system in the world.

You don't have to believe in what they do, but when you mock it, you just show how superior you are to "them".

Can't you just suspend your superiority for a moment and replace it with anthropological curiosity?

Most of the comments sound as if they were made by British East India Company employees on a tear through Asia.

No, I can not!

If you buy a Tamagochi or a ghost baby or whatever and believe, that the gates of hell will open for you , if you don't feed it or pet it or do-whatever-the -hell- you -want-with-it...or if you pray to an invisible sky- being or write letters to Santa Claus - that is up to you and none of my business.

But if an AIRLINE or the authorities of an AIRPORT, who have responsibilities for millions of people, try to tell me, that accidents are NOT caused by false judgement, human error, neglect, inefficient maintenance but by evil spirits and they try to "cure" the problem not by learning, thorough investigation and better maintenance, but by building SPIRIT CONDOS...that is, where the fun (and my tolerance) ends!

Do hokospokus in your own house, with your own family as much as you want OR exclusively transport other dorks, who believe in the flying spaghetti monster.

• Like 1