Thai Airways International dumb to paint over logo

Lite Beer

Thai Airways International dumb to paint over logo

1379216656_1.jpg

CRISIS UNAVERTED: The THAI logo and name is blacked out on the damaged Airbus A330-300 aircraft that left 14 injured. PHOTO: SOMCHAI POOMLARD

BANGKOK: THAI Airways International flew into a storm of controversy last week after it decided to paint over its name and corporate logo following the crash of an Airbus 330-300 (flight TG 679) at Suvarnabhumi late last Sunday night which left 14 people injured.

Originally, THAI official Smud Poom-on said that hiding the airline's name and logo was a recommendation from the Star Alliance group known as the ''crisis communication rule'', and was intended to protect the image of both the airline and other members of Star Alliance.

But the airline later issued a statement saying: ''THAI generally practises the de-identifying of an aircraft after an incident (or accident), the company also clarifies that it is not a Star Alliance policy or procedure to de-identify aircraft.''

Star Alliance is group of 28 airlines around the world, including Lufthansa, United, Air China, Singapore Airlines, ANA and THAI.

THAI is not the first airline to paint over its corporate logo following an incident, with Italian and Chinese carriers in recent years coming under criticism for similar actions.

Kenyon International Emergency Services is a global disaster management company offering services to 250 commercial airlines, maritime and rail companies as well as state and national governments.

Headquartered in Houston, Texas, it's the biggest and oldest company of its type and its services range from coaching airlines for preparedness for an accident - including crisis communication management courses - to recovery of bodies.

During the Asian tsunami tragedy Kenyon rotated more than 900 staff through Thailand and it was involved in cadaver recovery work following 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and the Haiti earthquake.

Kenyon has assisted with care for families, victims and their belongings at air crashes in Greece, the US, Libya, India and Indonesia.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-airways-international-dumb-to-paint-over-logo-41907.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-15

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listen....i put it down to the Thai education system.

What is the first thing a thai student must do when they make a mistake. That's right spend 10 minutes carefully erasing the evidence with a correction pen. Neverr mind spending two minutes to check what they did wrong.

• Like 1

let me suggest...to do a paint job to cover the logo or anywhere else .use a colour same as the aircraft body colour...then this will serve the purpose of whatever reason they are doing it...

and don't forget the painting on the tail , they better just wrap it in dark plastic so the whole plane is gone

nothing new, this is the same incident procedure in other international carriers - cover the tail, cover the brand, by whatever methods.

yeah, with a BLACK paint is a bit too obvious !

Perhaps black will help to appease the spirits which are causing many transport incidents?

THAI management clearly lied about the alleged "crisis communication rule", trying - as usual in Thailand - to shift the blame for the blacking out to someone else. After all, the Star Alliance logo was left completely untouched (or should that read, un-retouched?). Being called out on their blunt lie did, in my opinion, even more damage than the logo blacking out itself, and THAI once again has shot itself in the foot on an international level.

Edited by Misterwhisper

I used to like Thai,but not anymore.Do they honestly take people to be stupid?Obviously they do.I think this will end up costing them a nice few Baht.

I would personally recommend any of the 5 that come out of the U.A.E,never in all my years of flying have i had a problem with them,and there's hardly a whiskers difference between them.They are:-

GULF AIR OUT OF BAHRAIN

EMIRATES OUT OF DUBAI

ETIHAD OUT OF ABU DHABI

QATAR OUT OF DOHA

OMAN OUT OF MUSCAT

If i had to single one out as being marginally better it would be OMAN AIR.