British man rescued from Si Saket forest

webfact

Hopefully it is just alittle dementia and a few pills will lessen the symptoms. I really hope he was not running away because he was scared of his wife and her friends, because if he was he is going to go right back to the lions den when they release him from the hospital.

Why the negativity ? Can't you be just pleased he's been found safely ?

Hope things are better soon for him

• Like 1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai people are a tight - cloistered group. Based on what was reported the neighbors were alerted and looking for him...and probably aware of his needs/condition through past experience. Proably there is a history of him running/wandering/disoriented taking off and being returned home by someone that is helpful........they tend to keep problems in house/village.....

It seems that this man should not be driving and may have short & long term lapses....possibly took the keys and car in a lucid state that turned into something different.....Why no report of "missing" before - anyones guess......

My step dad had dementia & I took him into my home when it was too much for my mom to handle....3 months later after virually no sleep I was forced to put him in a "home" where his needs could be better met. He expired there.....

I wouldn't be too eager to condemn the wife if the condition is similar...wandering off is a regular occurance....

It is fortunate that he was found safe, (sound?), and is getting medical treatment.

For the people here that like to trash the Thai's - do it selectively - most are very decent people......

You tend to judge people at your own level - better look in the mirror first.....

The report said, quoted below...

Mr. Walton′s wife said he had a mental disability and tends to "black out" when he is stressed. "Sometimes he does things without being aware of it," his wife said.

He went missing and it seems that no report to the police was made immediately, if and when a report was made seems unclear to me.

IMO a report should have been made the same day he went missing, regardless of the Mai pen Rai attitude of Thai's..

Ask yourself a question, if the same happened to your father would you want him to remain in the care of his wife after what has alledgedly happened.?

If what has been reported is true then I'm sure as hell if he was my father I'd be making provisions for him to be looked after properly and given the care he seems to need.

Edited by MB1

I don't understand why UK people's have so much problem here in Thailand !!??

Perhaps it's because they are surrounded by Thai people? Are you Thai?

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of people with varying degrees of personal problems from many western countries here in Thailand.

Mr Walton just happened to be a British expat, but he may well have been Canadian,German, Lithuanian or an Apache Indian.

Everyone has problems at one time or another.

As farangs we might ask "Why do Thai people have so many problems here in Thailand? Na Krap.

• Like 2

I don't understand why UK people's have so much problem here in Thailand !!??

Perhaps it's because they are surrounded by Thai people? Are you Thai?

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of people with varying degrees of personal problems from many western countries here in Thailand.

Mr Walton just happened to be a British expat, but he may well have been Canadian,German, Lithuanian or an Apache Indian.

Everyone has problems at one time or another.

As farangs we might ask "Why do Thai people have so many problems here in Thailand? Na Krap.

With all the USA hating Brits here its obvious there is a large degree of mental instability in that community, lack of awarness. reminds me of the unwanted cousins

Happy ending for that guy ..... poor man !!! but I still dont understand why the wife has waited so long to inform the police ... anyway the essential is that he is alive .... Thanks to the rescuers.

What do you imagine the Thai police would have done if she'd reported him missing?

Wow, this is a great outcome to what we all including myself concluded and speculated in the other article. I hope he receives the continued care and meds he needs by his supporting wife and I'd suggesting preventing access to a motor vehicle in the future if he has a history of blackouts as stated before he kills himself or others.

It is amazing how many people on Thai Visa have a PhD in Hindsight.

Just get to the point Jim instead of trying to be cryptic eh, say what you really mean..whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Aaah it will match your degree in Astuteness as well then thumbsup.gif

No manipulation of facts by me Jimbo, just making my point as I see it from what's been reported on TV, just the same as others are, If it was your father what would you do, would you leave him in care of the woman or make provisions for alternative care.

I know what I'd do...Have a nice evening....coffee1.gif

Wow I wonder how he got lost. It is a jungle in that location but there is always the river to find your way! He was on the other side of the river from my home. One side is jungle and one side is full of houses. Oh well, glad our fisherman got him back to safety.

Haven't read all the posts but just want to add I had a friend here, he's passed on now, who would take a few days away when he felt like it just to be on his own. People got used to it after it happened a few times and had no worries about him turning up again.

No comment on this story coz I don't know all the facts same as everyone else posting on this thread

Passed away peacefully in his bed at home.

Hopefully it is just alittle dementia and a few pills will lessen the symptoms. I really hope he was not running away because he was scared of his wife and her friends, because if he was he is going to go right back to the lions den when they release him from the hospital.

Amazing how some people will try to revive "the wife is guilty" hypothesis...

Just get to the point Jim instead of trying to be cryptic eh, say what you really mean..xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Aaah it will match your degree in Astuteness as well then thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

No manipulation of facts by me Jimbo, just making my point as I see it from what's been reported on TV, just the same as others are, If it was your father what would you do, would you leave him in care of the woman or make provisions for alternative care.

I know what I'd do...Have a nice evening....coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Gosh and there was I trying to have a bit of banter!

Who said that you were manipulating the facts?

Everything is as you say IF the guy does have a mental health issue and IF others, in particular his family back home are aware of it. Thailand does not have a very good reputation when it comes to the care of people with Mental health issues and it is a problem that is effectively ignored by society as a whole as well as by families.

We have the wife saying

Mr. Walton′s wife said he had a mental disability and tends to "black out" when he is stressed. "Sometimes he does things without being aware of it," his wife said.

That one line would describe the majority of expats who hang around in the bars all day from 11am onwards. Does he have a mental health issue or did he get drunk and 'go for a walk' because he was upset about something? As 'overherebc' has put so nicely a few posts above, some guys do just 'disappear' fro a few days to be on their own. If someone does that once, twice, three times a month and has done for 5-10-20 years, why would a wife report him missing straight away? As for 'blackouts when stressed', I have never heard of it, but if you get blind drunk and tell a Thai wife you did it because you are stressed then you will get the quote given by Mrs Walton above.

I wouldn't put him down as a raving loon just yet. The guy has survived three days in an incredibly inhospitable environment if you don't know what you are doing. Even Ray Mears would be pi**ed at spending 3 days in the heart of a Thai forest. He has survived and he was "calling for help"! That does require quite a bit of lucidity. I imagine in a few days when he is recovered from his ordeal, we will get a word from the man himself in the press. Now to be rude, am I supposed to use the coffee drinking smiley now? On second thoughts, no I won't wink.png (Tries again!)

Amazing story considering that when the wife was asked how long he or more importantly the car was missing she replied 7 or 8 days???

According to the original news article. What the article omitted was whether the wife had reported it or not.

It seems a lot of posters still believe what was written in the article, ie, the wife failing to report the missing husband to the police.

In the other thread, Sirchai reported, using another source in the tourist police another story, which apparently wasn't read by many. The thread is now locked, but the link to sirchai's post is below:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/668375-british-man-mysteriously-disappears-in-srisaket-province/?p=6831847