The great part with these new malls

LawrenceChee

It seems with the new malls popping up by the end of the year, we are finally seeing some needed updates and renovations going in airport plaza

Went for a movie last afternoon and viola all the toilets have been upgraded...the urinals that have not been functioning for 5 years have all been replaced and the vibe is now cool chic

That's great news for long term stayers like us ...as that mall is still relevant and great for us living in the hang dong area

I am hoping more outlets will appear like curry house , Carls Jr , Long John Silver, Breadtalk and a straits food cafe will appear in maya or central festival

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I thought the upgrade on the urinals was great. How ever putting a door on the bathroom is the most unsanitary thing they could have done. Most of the newer ones in the states have wide open entrances with no door they are situated in such a manner as you can not see any thing until you turn the corner.

I am still trying to figure out why one of the most comfortable seats in the house is located just inside the door to the men's room.

Interesting that both the Airport and Promenada theaters are owned by the same company Major Cineplex and show just about the same movies. Let us hope Maya gives us a broader selection.

Yes I thought the upgrade on the urinals was great. How ever putting a door on the bathroom is the most unsanitary thing they could have done. Most of the newer ones in the states have wide open entrances with no door they are situated in such a manner as you can not see any thing until you turn the corner.

I am still trying to figure out why one of the most comfortable seats in the house is located just inside the door to the men's room.

Interesting that both the Airport and Promenada theaters are owned by the same company Major Cineplex and show just about the same movies. Let us hope Maya gives us a broader selection.

The rooms are designed especially for those with diverse needs.

Having a door to the toilets is the most unsanitary thing they could have done? I know a few more, but it would be improper to discuss it in public. Personally, give me a door every time, is what I say. Always have.

Too bad they haven't gotten the message over at Kad Suan Kaew. It's still in the same sad, run-down shape. No TP and no soap in any of the toilets, except the ones in Central Dept. Store. I sure hope the serving staff at the restaurants wash their hands at the restaurants after they use the toilets.

• Like 2

Just out of interest - does anyone have any reliable figures about how much it costs to take a space in one of these malls.

I have heard some figures for various places but the figures seem extortionate and I'm not seeing where the profit lies.

But maybe they were exaggerating.

Unlike some on here I suffer from "reverse mall psychology"; in that I find the malls probably the most depressing places I could visit during my day.

• Like 1

Just out of interest - does anyone have any reliable figures about how much it costs to take a space in one of these malls.

I have heard some figures for various places but the figures seem extortionate and I'm not seeing where the profit lies.

Unlike some on here I suffer from "reverse mall psychology"; in that I find the malls probably the most depressing places I could visit during my day.

Thought that the prices in Promenada are between 1000 and 2000 baht a sqm/per month.

Depends on location and size.

I like the malls for the convenience ...don't have to hang out there everyday..

But on some days of the month to watch a movie have a nice place to sit for a cup of coffee at Tom & Tom ( all over Korea with free wifi and comfy seating) it's a nice alternative to Starbucks.

I also agree u don't have to spend money at every trip like jungle chef ...it's a nice place or the family to stroll for the afternoon.

I like the malls for the convenience ...don't have to hang out there everyday..

But on some days of the month to watch a movie have a nice place to sit for a cup of coffee at Tom & Tom ( all over Korea with free wifi and comfy seating) it's a nice alternative to Starbucks.

I also agree u don't have to spend money at every trip like jungle chef ...it's a nice place or the family to stroll for the afternoon.

Tom & Tom at Promenara? We tried it a few days ago - possibly the worst coffee and service I've had in a long time. The snack food was no better - I'll not be back!

Edited by jagi00
  • Like 1

I am not 100% sure but I think that is the name of the coffee shop near Rimping mini-mart. Could there be more than one? Any way, I happened to be at Rimping a few weeks ago. I stopped for coffee before leaving. There were about 3 coffee shops and I just went with the one with tables outside. I ordered a plain coffee "Americano" is the newest designer name for plain coffee these days. I was a little taken back when I was charged about 80-85 THB for a coffee. That may be a first in Thailand. After I sat down the girl came out with a red plastic thing that at first I thought was a coaster of some sort. After what seemed like more than 10 minutes (I was the only customer) the coaster turned into a pager and began flashing lights and vibrating. I just sat there thinking 'this must be a system for the servers to know which table to bring the coffee to.' After what seemed like another 5 minutes, the thing vibrated off the table, fell on the ground and died. Still no one came with the coffee. I stood up and looked inside where the 5 people behind the counter were all looking at me. Still no one came. I had to go inside and get my own coffee (with powdered milk) for 85 Baht! Instead of serving the coffee they only came outside to retrieve the broken pager. AND the coffee was nothing special. Give this place a miss!

• Like 2

Thought that the prices in Promenada are between 1000 and 2000 baht a sqm/per month.

Depends on location and size.

Slightly off topic but i was recently quoted 1600฿ per Sq M in MBK BKK. They're still reviewing our presentation, if they except us i think we'll go for it. Hard to get into the big ones in Siam area.

I am not 100% sure but I think that is the name of the coffee shop near Rimping mini-mart. Could there be more than one? Any way, I happened to be at Rimping a few weeks ago. I stopped for coffee before leaving. There were about 3 coffee shops and I just went with the one with tables outside. I ordered a plain coffee "Americano" is the newest designer name for plain coffee these days. I was a little taken back when I was charged about 80-85 THB for a coffee. That may be a first in Thailand. After I sat down the girl came out with a red plastic thing that at first I thought was a coaster of some sort. After what seemed like more than 10 minutes (I was the only customer) the coaster turned into a pager and began flashing lights and vibrating. I just sat there thinking 'this must be a system for the servers to know which table to bring the coffee to.' After what seemed like another 5 minutes, the thing vibrated off the table, fell on the ground and died. Still no one came with the coffee. I stood up and looked inside where the 5 people behind the counter were all looking at me. Still no one came. I had to go inside and get my own coffee (with powdered milk) for 85 Baht! Instead of serving the coffee they only came outside to retrieve the broken pager. AND the coffee was nothing special. Give this place a miss!

Hahaha sorry for that as it takes a while for the corporations to get used to local culture...in Korea the payroll costs are too high to afford too many servers and that is the paging system they used.

Americano was invented in places like this as it seems the fancier ones escape some consumers who just want black coffee

I would advice you to to try something new ...I don't drink coffee but hot cocoa but the Korean friends I have like hanging out at T&T and of course they have real 4G speedy internet in Korea too !!!

Couldn't agree more.

Airport Plaza was getting a tad shabby.

Hope the new malls will draw some of the traffic away from Airport Plaza, making it better for parking and you mentioned a CURRY HOUSE, YES PLEASE!!!! Would also be nice to be able to buy packaged Indian and Malaysian Spices somewhere in CNX.

Hahaha sorry for that as it takes a while for the corporations to get used to local culture...in Korea the payroll costs are too high to afford too many servers and that is the paging system they used.

Americano was invented in places like this as it seems the fancier ones escape some consumers who just want black coffee

I would advice you to to try something new ...I don't drink coffee but hot cocoa but the Korean friends I have like hanging out at T&T and of course they have real 4G speedy internet in Korea too !!!

Strange , you would think they would do their homework and realise its maybe better to serve expensive coffee and Thailand doesn't have 4G.

It seems a lot of these places will be lucky if they turn enough profit to pay the rent.

Couldn't agree more.

Hope the new malls will draw some of the traffic away from Airport Plaza, making it better for parking and you mentioned a CURRY HOUSE, YES PLEASE!!!! Would also be nice to be able to buy packaged Indian and Malaysian Spices somewhere in CNX.

Airport Plaza is still the best IMO. What is Curry House?

You then made the mistake of walking inside. You should have left wink.png

Couldn't agree more.

Airport Plaza is still the best IMO. What is Curry House?

Curry house is a Japanese chain great for fans who love Japanese styled curry.

Really tasty and not overly expensive and I am hoping the 2 new malls will just not be replicates of airport plaza ...but have some new restaurants for us to try.

• Like 1

You then made the mistake of walking inside. You should have left wink.png

Lesson learned. I would never go there again. Korean coffee shop in Thailand with not very good coffee and prices comparable to Europe? And...no service. No thanks.

Most of the foreigners I see in CM shopping malls, are male, old and white. They are more often than not accompanied by an 'unsophisticated' Thai woman, man or ladyboy 30 years their junior. I'm sure many Thais who take their families around these malls, if they had a voice in this discussion, would prefer that these foreigners return to their own malls in their home country rather than come here and complain about everything. They won't be missed.

Edited by Loaded