New Visa Rules From July Confirmed By Immigration

I had no problems being issued with a multientry 1 Year Non Imm O visa, in Penang.

The only documentation required of me was, original Thai wedding certificate and two passport sized pictures.

If you really want to make it easy! Go and see the Guy who runs NJ Bookstore on Lebuh Chulia Street. :o

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no problems being issued with a multientry 1 Year Non Imm O visa, in Penang

Thats good news and I had good luck there in the past. But there has been talk that only those over age 50 are likely to receive multi entry without additional requirements recently.

I was offered aone-year multi-entry at KL, but as it cost 500 ringgit, as against 200 ringgit for a three-month single entry (and I still have to get the marriage extension part) I stayed with the cheapy.

Ok I just read this part now what about all the other rules and reg?

For example:How often does a married Farang (USA) man have to leave the county for example etc etc.....?????

I have been living with my Thai girlfriend now for 7 years and getting tired of this 2 month visa deal!

Its expensive now and I dont like mini buses!

Can some one recommend differn possiblites for me and what is involved?

I can make a bank account here in Thailand say I have 400K (or more if nessary) but I am only 44 years old.

Please let me know what is really involved?

I may end up gettting a fiance visa and take her back to the States but want to know what other options I can do here instead?

I am not working and have quite small income.

Anyone who knows the score and can recommend to me what I should do I am all ears!

Thanks, SM

You could open up your own compagny and start working a little bit then you would get a one year Visa every year for about 3 years, after 3 years you could try to get permantly recidense.. :o

I have just read the new visa regulations issued by Nongkhai Immigration in April 2004.

I already have a one year visa for support of Thai wife and child and have proven circa 900,000 THB in Thai Bank account. Didn't prove pension as I was still working but lost my job because they would only give me a forty day extension instead of re-issuing my visa, (I had to be away for something like two to three months, you know how jobs can go).

I could obtain no explanation for the refusal to re-issue visa and I am now told that the new info on the Nongkhai site is wrong and has to be corrected. Does ANYONE have any real idea of what the new, definitive regulations are?

I am British aged 67. :o

I could obtain no explanation for the refusal to re-issue visa

Don't understand your question or situation clearly. Who would not issue a visa? What is the 40 day extension about? An extension is done by immigration but a new visa would be done by a Consulate. You lost a job where? The 900k in bank comes from where? What information on the Nong Khai site is wrong? Are you calling a one year extension of stay a visa by any chance? Have there been regular deposits to your bank account from overseas? Did you ask for a multi entry visa from a Consulate and they refused? You do not have visa based on retirement?

Sorry, don't mean to be nit picking but just not clear on your situation.

I do not wish to sound pernickety but, do you people ever read?

If you are over fifty, regardless of having a Thai wife, you can get a 12 month retirement visa that. DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY.

As long as you have the required 800,000 ( eight hundred thousand ) Baht, in a Thai bank account, that came from abroad!

Your visa at the time of application needs to be...Non Imm O or B.

If you happen to be married to a Thai, at this moment in time, before the 10th of July 2004. You will need an account in a Thai bank with no less than 200,000 baht.

OK. I'll get slagged for this but, I'm sick of hearing about Farrangs who, happen to know, how to buy a business and how to buy a house, neither their own!

But don't have a clue when it comes to getting a visa!

Perplexed!

But a tourist visa can be changed by immigration to allow application so you do not need to enter the country with a non immigrant visa; and the application can be made and approved in your home country with the O-A version at the same time you apply for a visa.
If you happen to be married to a Thai, at this moment in time, before the 10th of July 2004. You will need an account in a Thai bank with no less than 200,000 baht.

You have to have what immigration wants to see. It may be zero or 200k or 250k or 400k or a combination of xxxk and proof of income. Rules are not set in stone and personal conditions are allowed for as long as not in direct conflict with laws.

If you are over fifty, regardless of having a Thai wife, you can get a 12 month retirement visa that. DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY

This also requires you not work (which last poster seems to have been doing). And that you can prove outside source of income to replace this bank deposit. This is living money and you are expected to use it for that purpose. It is not a one time security type deposit.

I do not wish to sound pernickety but, do you people ever read?

If you are over fifty, regardless of having a Thai wife, you can get a 12 month retirement visa that. DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY.

As long as you have the required 800,000 ( eight hundred thousand ) Baht, in a Thai bank account, that came from abroad!

OK. I'll get slagged for this but, I'm sick of hearing about Farrangs who, happen to know, how to buy a business and how to buy a house, neither their own!

But don't have a clue when it comes to getting a visa!

Perplexed!

Assume that you are slagged ... at least by me. READ the topic before going off half cocked. Retirement is the basis for application, so a B visa is OUT. Use the search engine on Thaivisa, you'll be amazed at what you might learn.

I am living in Thailand working as an English teacher, recently married to a Thai lady. I am on a 1 year Non-Immigrant B visa (expires October 4 2004) My annual teaching income is B400,000. I am 58 years old and will obviously not be able to teach for many more years. My work permit for my present contract job is under process at the moment.

My boss has advised me not to apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" (Marriage visa) while the work permit is being processed. (apparently ,it would confuse the Immigration office???) I wanted to apply for the marriage visa while the requirement for bank funds was still B200,000 (ie. before July deadline). Can anyone tell me if there would be a potential problem if I did apply for marriage visa at this time ? Apparently one cannot have a marriage visa with a non Imm "B" . Correct? HELP!!!

^ Yes you can. A Non-imm O can be used as a Non-im B and the other way around (I know people that have done this). But yes it will probably confuse Imm....also check other threads but I'm under the impression there are no guarantees in regards to being grandfathered now!

I heve been married to a Thai lady now for 3 years and have applied for a visa each year using 200,000 in the bank. This year I applied with 200,000 in the bank but subsequently used the money to purchase a vehicle. My application came back

denied. I then went back to immigration with a notrarized income statement of 33,000 baht per month. I was told that I would need 50,000 baht in my account as well as my income. I was under the impression that you need 200.000 in the bank or an income exceeding 20,000 per month. Whats the deal?. Can I appeal this decision? At the present time I don't have the 50,000. This all took place in Chiangmai. I had to go to Maesai to obtain a 1 month extention. Bummer. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

My wife and I did go back and see the supervisor and the reply was that we needed to have 50,000 baht in the bank plus my income of 33,000 baht per month. I am retired 52 years of age. We were very polite.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, they are greatly appreciated. I have two more questions. What is a TRT MP and where do I find one? Thank you for your time.

TRT is The Thai Rak Thai Political Party ( the present government ) MP is Member of Parliament. Good luck.

Greetings, all:

New to forum. Tearing my hair out over visa complexity. The more I read,

the less I'm sure of.

Is it a concrete fact that I can get a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage

having 400,000 in the bank if I have no income beyond that? If I don"t touch

that money, can I get the "O" and future renewals with it if it is not added too?

At this point, is there even a ghost of a chance that I could travel to LOS,

and qualify for the 200K rate? I have only 30 days. Is it all possible?

EXCEEDINGLY GRATEFUL for any help--Somboon

Is it a concrete fact that I can get a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage

having 400,000 in the bank if I have no income beyond that? If I don"t touch

that money, can I get the "O" and future renewals with it if it is not added too?

At this point, is there even a ghost of a chance that I could travel to LOS,

and qualify for the 200K rate? I have only 30 days. Is it all possible?

The visa is not the problem - but to extend your stay you need income to replenish that bank account and have to report an income for the extension forms. That fact is being checked closely. Nobody is demanding that baht for baht be replaced but there must be some indication of incoming money or you will likely have to answer very detailed questions as to how you "support" yourself and a wife with no income. The class of visa is "support" so you need to show that.

I don't see much chance of doing it with 200k at this point in time. But nothing is ever 100% here, but would think it in the 90% range. Sorry.

At this point would say multi entry O visa based on marriage obtained in your home country to be the best chance for long term stay here in your case.

lopburi3 makes a very valid and accurate point. Having just got married and having a multiple entry O visa we travelled up to Nong Khai to extend/change the visa to a "married visa" permitting 365 day stay in the LOS.

We bought with us my 2 Thai bank accounts with a total of well over 400,000 baht, marriage certificate, the land registry document for our house, my passport and my Thai driving license.

The <deleted> at the Immigration Office said he wanted a letter from my banks confirming the amounts plus proof of other income .

When I pointed out that technically the new legislation (400,000b) didn't come into effect until July and nowhere does it say in any of the regulations I've read you need 400,000 plus proof of income he said if I only had 400,000 I'd have to come back to Nong Khai every month to show him that I still had 400,000b in a Thai bank but if I showed him a bank balance of 800,000b that would be ok.

Deciding that arguing with him was pointless we walked away.

Next day my wife rang the Immigration Department at Bangkok and was told that the Immigration Officer was categorically wrong in refusing the visa and couldn't understand his actions.

This is another example of the ludicrous inconsistency of Thai officials.

The regulations seem to be applied primarily on the basis of wether the official you're dealing with has got a hair up his arse or not and before anyone asks if I was wearing a dayglo pair of shorts, a string vest and flip flops - no I wasn't. In fact we were heading on to attend the funeral of my wifes best friends father so we were dressed respectfully and somberly.

The Regulations require a current letter from your bank evidencing that you have the requisite funds in the bank. That is always a must. You will not need evidence of other income, unless there is a combination of income and savings being used to make up the required amount, or your funds are the bare minimum required. Then a notorized acknowledgement of income from your Embassy is required.

I had the same experience as Slim with Nong Khai immigration;came toThailand on a non-O visa,married the Lady,went to the immigration Office(the one in Udon),had to show proof of income,much more as necessary,Bank statement,more as the 200000 baht required,let mi cathechise by the immigration woman for one hour,now after nearly four months waiting,I'm not sure anymore if I did the right choice!Laos ist only one hour by car,we have relatives thereand drive often to Vientiane,a Visa run ewery two months ist not more expensive,and no hassle.Anyone can tell me what I should do? :o:D

I had the same experience as Slim with Nong Khai immigration;came toThailand on a non-O visa,married the Lady,went to the immigration Office(the one in Udon),had to show proof of income,much more as necessary,Bank statement,more as the 200000 baht required,let mi cathechise by the immigration woman for one hour,now after nearly four months waiting,I'm not sure anymore if I did the right choice!Laos ist only one hour by car,we have relatives thereand drive often to Vientiane,a Visa run ewery two months ist not more expensive,and no hassle.Anyone can tell me what I should do? :o:D

How much banking / income did you show them ?

Dr PP - you put your finger on this problem a couple of posts ago.

Immigration can be a law to themselves

The new regulations (as explained to me/my wife) by Thai Immigration in BKK require you have 400,000b in a Thai bank or 40,000b per month coming in or a combination of the two.

(which ironically 200 odd posts ago is exactly what george wrote when he started this record thread).

In other words the Thai government have set a figure of 40,000 baht per month as being the minimum amount they expect you to have to support a Thai wife/family.

If you have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank at time of application this is (as far as the regs. are concerned) as good as having a 40,000 per month income.

THATS IT - if you've got the cash you're ok OR SHOULD BE

For some reason, some Immigration Officers are misinterpreting this requirement (as in my case) and are asking for proof of funds in excess of 400,000.

As I previously posted - this is categorically incorrect

If, however, the day after you are granted a visa extension you withdraw all your funds and you no longer have the minimum requirement then the next time you come to apply for a visa extension it is unlikely to be granted.

They are really quite unpredictable. Office to office, officer to officer, and if you ask a question of three officer's you are quite likely to get three differing opinions. The 400,000 rule is set to begin in July, but already they are asking for that or more now. Those affected should take a Thai lawyer along when the extension is being sought, and if they play silly buggers, take the lawyer in the see the boss. A letter to the Editor of the English language newspapers might be useful too. It is hard enough, without having elastic regulations, misconstrued continuously on an officer's whim.

Dr Pat Pong I briught with me a certified letter from my Embassy,confirming that Ireceive in my bank account(Bangkok Bank)over 40000$ every two months,and a letter from the Bank showing funds of over 400000 Baht,all the marriage certificates,stamped in Bangkok by the consulate Office of the Foreign Ministry,and had to answer a lot of very personal questions,to no avail,up to now.

Perhaps the fact that my wife came in the uniform of a Polce Officer and outranked the immigration woman did not help,but we were really very polite! :o

Dr Pat Pong I briught with me a certified letter from my Embassy,confirming that Ireceive in my bank account(Bangkok Bank)over 40000$ every two months,and a letter from the Bank showing funds of over 400000 Baht,all the marriage certificates,stamped in Bangkok by the consulate Office of the Foreign Ministry,and had to answer a lot of very personal questions,to no avail,up to now.

Perhaps the fact that my wife came in the uniform of a Polce Officer and outranked the immigration woman did not help,but we were really very polite! :o

I suspect that you were a bit too comfortable and well off for that officer's liking. A touch of jealousy perhaps. Time for a muscle flex. Take everything back there, including mother bedecked in her police finery, and ask to see the officer in charge, and ask that he/she clarify the extension issues for you, and clear up any misunderstandings ( rather than complain about the unhelpful officer ) Download the material at www.mfa.go.th that pertains to your married visa situation. If you handle it well, I think he'll call someone up and instruct them to do it. Make sure your bank letter of confirmation is very current. Good luck.