Could You Get Away With It?

ivan96822

I am in no way advocating for any type of unlawful activity, but I must beg the question:

Could you get away with arriving on a tourist or 60-day visa, get a job teaching English, rent an apartment, and overstay months, or even years?

What would be the ramifications of such a plot? The best and / or worst case results?

I know there are many people who have overstayed for various lengths and had various results when finally confronted by law enforcement or immigration, but what is the consensus of the forum on this question?

Could YOU get away with it?

It is not something I would ever risk. But then again I have never had to or never expect to be in the situation where I need to risk overstay.

Some members on this forum take a very hard line on overstayers. However, until the government take the issue more seriously then overstayers will continue to chance their luck with the THB20,000 fine at the airport.

I do wonder how some of these guys live from day to day in the knowledge that if they get into any hassles here it is likely or possible that the ramifications of their expired their visa status would exacerbate their situation tenfold.

When I first came to Thailand as a backpacker I met an English (Cockney) chap that had overstayed for years as he couldn't get his passport renewed due to being wanted for armed robbery.

He'd already been teaching for a few years and somehow managed to "blag" the school that he'd already got his visa. Photoshopped passport pages and visa got him a Work Permit. He was fluent in Thai and had the gift of the gab to boot. I'm sure there's many more like him residing here.

Could I personally do it, nope, I don't need or want to but desperations leads people to different things, maybe lack of options elsewhere and they think in for a penny, in for a pound!

I am sure it can be done, met lots of over stayers and people without visas in lots of countries working, not just Thailand