Thailand: Three bank heists

webfact

ROBBERY
Three bank heists

The Nation

30215602-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- In separate incidents in Samut Sakhon, Surat Thani and Bangkok yesterday, three banks were robbed and there was an attempted heist at a gold shop.

In Samut Sakhon's Muang district, two gunmen stole Bt1.35 million in cash from a Rama II branch of Kasikorn Bank yesterday afternoon before fleeing on a motorbike. In Surat Thani, a man wielding a knife spent less than a minute to rob Bt850,000 from a Government Savings Bank branch at 9.45am yesterday and getting away on a motorbike. Police later found the suspect's face-mask, helmet and jacket at a rubber plantation about 8km away.

In Bangkok's Khlong San district, a lone gunman made off with Bt270,780 cash from a Kasikorn Bank branch in Thon Buri at 11.50am.

In Bangkok's Bang Phlad, a gunman entered a gold shop on Rajvithee Road at 11.30am but was fought off by the owner's 21-year-old niece, who ended up sustaining a gunshot wound.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-25

Looking at the (lack of) proper security systems in Thai banks and gold shops i'm surprised that big robberies don't occur on a daily basis up and down the country. In Britain these places would be considered as easy meat for the blaggers and would soon be forced to adopt proper security measures. Not much sophistication needed to rob a bank here, just enough men and hardware.

• Like 1

Looking at the (lack of) proper security systems in Thai banks and gold shops i'm surprised that big robberies don't occur on a daily basis up and down the country. In Britain these places would be considered as easy meat for the blaggers and would soon be forced to adopt proper security measures. Not much sophistication needed to rob a bank here, just enough men and hardware.

Easy Mate! Remember the T&C's of your "early release visa" !whistling.gif

• Like 2

It wouldn't happen like that in the UK, I need to make an appointment days in advance to take more than 1,000 pounds (50,000 baht) out of my own bank account.

They say they don't keep "large amounts of cash".. I thought that's what banks were for?

Edited by technologybytes

Any one know where on the internet I can get "robbing banks for dummies" because this looks like it could be more profitable that what I am doing now?

I think its easy to find "Make your own Nuclear device at home" but there seems to be a lack of info on easy large bank withdrawals, of course I am only interested in the big returns such as over 5 million etc... coffee1.gif

The gunman was "fought off" by the 21 year old niece. Nice going for the young lady and very impressive.

Well, yes and no. Considering the woman got shot (and lived, presumably) it could easily have gone the wrong way. I'm guessing the owner is thanking his niece for her actions but he's also telling her next time it's just not worth dying for (that's if the owner's sibling hasn't told their daughter to retire from the gold selling business).

Edited by CanInBKK

It does seem strange ! Nearly every bank or gold shop usually has an armed policeman on guard there. Do they strike at lunch time ? We all know everything stops for food !!! :)

It wouldn't happen like that in the UK, I need to make an appointment days in advance to take more than 1,000 pounds (50,000 baht) out of my own bank account.

They say they don't keep "large amounts of cash".. I thought that's what banks were for?

You might want to think about switching banks. It could be that the bank does not have 1000 pounds because they are on the verge of going bankrupt. I should say that I have no knowledge what-so-ever of British banking.

Don't worry, they will be caught promptly.

I haven't met a Thai man yet who doesn't get pissed and then start telling everyone his business. They seem incapable of shutting the hell up when they are up to no good. Same when the cops interview them, they squeal immediately.