The Things You Wont Miss

donna

ok. i have lived on a small island for a bit over 6 months now. i have come to the realisation that its not what i expected and have decided to move on. i will be moving over to phuket for a new job which looks very exciting.

anyway, there are some things that i really wont miss about island life. some of them are listed below.

wiping the gecko shit off the bed before i get in it

catching a rat a night

hearing rats eat my thatched roof every night

falling over the crab mounds on the way to my room in the middle of the night

being lathered up right in the middle of a shower when the water runs out

when we DO have water, washing my white clothes and having them come out dirtier than when they went in

having bats fly into my mosquito net

red ant invasions. in the thousands. my whole floor was covered in them at one stage

bees finding my backpack full of shoes and making a nest in there, complete with honey

bees making a nest in my stereo speakers

to name just a few.

does anyone else have similar?

You are soooooo cruel.

What are the rats (my cousins), the gecko's, the bats, the mosquito's, the crabs, the ants and the bees gonna do when you leave? They will have nobody to eat or annoy.

I hope that you can find the time to return at least once a week and allow them to chase you around the island. It's the least you can do. :o

oh im sure that the next person to occupy my house will be enough company for them!

in fact, a friend of mine says that i should speak nicely to them and they will treat me well.

whether this means that they will eat the roof more quietly or not i dont know.

Guest endure
ok. i have lived on a small island for a bit over 6 months now. i have come to the realisation that its not what i expected and have decided to move on. i will be moving over to phuket for a new job which looks very exciting.

anyway, there are some things that i really wont miss about island life. some of them are listed below.

wiping the gecko shit off the bed before i get in it

:o

Wow Donna, what a living nitemare! The Dude reserves the right to withhold shovels for living in that kind of hel_l cause he cannot dig it. Congrats on moving to Phuket cause it rules. I hand you a shovel for your Phuket move because it is diggable

...i will be moving over to phuket for a new job which looks very exciting.

anyway, there are some things that i really wont miss about island life. ....

Er... Donna, Phuket is an island too. :o

Just thought you'd like to know.

And there are gekkos, jin-joks, ants, shitty brown water, no water, etc. Make a list of all the things you don't like and get your new landlord to sign the lease stating that there aren't any. Best of luck! :D

thanks yenners, for pointing that out to me. :o lucky for me im not too touchy today or i would have thought you were having a dig at me (get it, dude) or something.

yes i KNOW phuket is an island. but, as seonai kindly pointed out, i DO live in a house with a thatched roof on a rice field. i like my little hut, but its time to move on.

i am not expecting to be living in a sterile environment. im not stoopid. i just thought that some people may have something to add to my list.

its FOR FUN you see. :D

Er... Donna, Phuket is an island too. :D

And there are gekkos, jin-joks, ants, shitty brown water, no water, etc. Make a list of all the things you don't like and get your new landlord to sign the lease stating that there aren't any. Best of luck! :D

If I moved I wouldn't miss the asbestos roof here at my house. I alos wouldn't miss the distinct lack of variety in food :o

:DAre you kidding or is that serious? :D

Do you have any idea how dangerous that is for your (future) health?

An ex-brother in law of mine is extremely ill and about to die because of asbestos (miniscule fiber) he inhaled 30-40 years ago. :D

I would suggest to have it removed ASAP by experts....! Or move to another house at once!

Read this and you won't feel happy...but better not happy now than at a later stage, sorry!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos

Just wanted to warn you.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Er... Donna, Phuket is an island too. :o

But Phuket has much higher quality vermin! :D

LaoPo, I have had terrible chest problems since we moved in here but there is very little choice on the island. Also I would like to confirm that it is in fact asbestos before I start going crazy at my landlord. What is your opinion? It's the standard roof that Thais in the counrtyside put on top of a traditional wooden house on stilts. Kind of corregated sections????? Grey colour. Snaps if you stand on it. Does that sound like it :o

+

LaoPo, I have had terrible chest problems since we moved in here but there is very little choice on the island. Also I would like to confirm that it is in fact asbestos before I start going crazy at my landlord. What is your opinion? It's the standard roof that Thais in the counrtyside put on top of a traditional wooden house on stilts. Kind of corregated sections????? Grey colour. Snaps if you stand on it. Does that sound like it :o

OMG :D ...Sorry, Seonai, I'm not sure if it's really Asbestos you're talking about but seems like it. (Grey and 'snaps if standing on it')

I edited my post with a link to Wikipedia (about asbestos); I am so sorry and really don't want to spoil your day but I think you should seriously consider to leave that house (or have your landlord do something about it).

Thai tend to laugh about these things and take them not serious but I can assure you that Mesothelioma -a form of lung cancer- is a serious illness and you really should take action about your -future- health (including your family of course).

Another, not so pleasant, link here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesothelioma

Now, don't panic! because it still is a very rare disease*, but I think you should have your lungs checked...

* your chest pain might be from something else (maybe the heat?) since Mesothelioma occurs after 30-50 years and I assume you haven't been living that long under that roof...

Sorry :D and also sorry because it's completely off-topic; maybe a mod can tranfer these latter posts into the HEALTH SECTION?

LaoPo

Seonai, I hope you pursue that to the fullest and get the answers you need.

Donna, I'd link to clink brews with you sometime over that much-needed change. Good on you, girlfriend.

Hi LaoPo, I already opened another thread just to see what other folks say. "Dodgy Roof". Thanks so much for your kind words. Do you mean that after exposure it only shows after 30 years?

Yes; so your severe chest pain might come from something else. Nevertheless, if I were you, I would consult the best hospital in BKK to have a complete check (I know it's a hassle for you and long way to travel...but.....your health is more important, isn't it?

Good Luck!!!

PS: 'Dodgy Roof"; I hope some folks will give some answers there too.

It's strange though that you complain about pain since you moved into that house...

1. How long do you live there?

2. Is the roof 'cracked' or broken in some (minor) places, in any way?

3. What could possibly cause that pain?; do you have any clue? :o (other than the asbestos roof?)

LaoPo

thanks slack. its the quality i am after...

Hi Donna, sorry you didn't appreciate my heavy sarcasm! It WAS meant to be funny too, but maybe it didn't come across right. We need a "I'm being sarcastic" smiley here!

As for Slackula's post re. "higher quality" vermin, I think he means the Thai type - you know: the touts, tuk-tuk drivers, rip-off the tourists type. I think I've only seen a real rat once in Patong.

And as for all this discussion about the asbestos roof... don't panic!! There's all sorts of asbestos and it's the incredibly small fibres that causes health problems. An asbestos cement roof in good condition should not be a problem as it won't be releasing the small fibres, but - as LaoPo says - if it's cracking or moving (eg. people walking on it) then it's possible that it IS releasing fibres. So check it out first before you start sleeping in the yard!

thanks slack. its the quality i am after...

As for Slackula's post re. "higher quality" vermin, I think he means the Thai type - you know: the touts, tuk-tuk drivers, rip-off the tourists type. I think I've only seen a real rat once in Patong.

Just for the record: I know these people can be annoying but they are just trying to make a buck, I have a hard time referring to any fellow human being as vermin.

And I have seen plenty of real (4 legs, buck teeth, fugly as all hel_l etc) rats in Patong. Perhaps I just hang out in the wrong places :o

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread :D