Retired British serviceman in Phuket hospital after car smash

webfact

Retired British serviceman in Phuket hospital after car smash
Claire Connell

1379667538_1.jpg
Gerry Mason.

PHUKET: -- Well known Rawai resident and retired British serviceman Gerald “Gerry” Mason is in ICU in Bangkok Phuket Hospital with serious facial injuries after a car crash last week.

Few details are known about the crash other than it happened on Tuesday night (September 10), and friends Paul Dyer, Les Angel and Peter Brain were notified the following day that Gerry, 63, was in Vachira Hospital.

Gerry suffered serious facial injuries in the crash – which have required extensive reconstruction – as well as nerve damage to his right shoulder.

When Paul and Les visited Gerry last weekend, they found that his condition had deteriorated, he was having trouble breathing, and there was no room in Vachira’s ICU for him.

“We didn’t think he was going to make it through the night,” Paul said.

The decision was made to change him to a different hospital where there was space in ICU, and only Bangkok Hospital Phuket had the cosmetic facial surgeons able to do the required surgery.

On Sunday night (September 15), he was transferred to Bangkok Phuket Hospital, but that raised another problem – Gerry’s insurance coverage.

Once he was stabilised at the international hospital, surgery tool place to repair his face, including rebuilding his nose, top jaw, and cheekbone and resetting his teeth. His jaw has been wired together and will remain that way for the next four weeks while it heals.

At this stage he doesn’t have any serious head injuries, and is alert with “bright eyes”, friends said. However he had limited hand movement and could communicate only via pointing.

“We are past those dark days and he’s in a much better place than he was four or five days ago,” Paul said.

The friends said there was some confusion over Gerry’s insurance. Either he had none, or the type he has does not provide coverage to take care of such massive medical expenses.

Currently his treatment bill at Bangkok Phuket Hospital is more than B1million, which has been paid for by Paul.

“He’s covered until Monday, and hopefully he will be out of ICU by tomorrow and moved to a normal ward. Then there will be another assessment.”

In the meantime, friends have started fundraising, and have contacted the British Embassy to help liaise with family members back in the United Kingdom.

Originally from Doncaster in Yorkshire, England, Gerry moved to Phuket to retire around eight years ago. He now lives in Rawai with his girlfriend Tuanjai.

“He’s a very sociable person, and he’s friends with everyone,” Paul said.

Gerry is an active member of the Patong Darts League and the Southern Pool League. The Darts League will be having a meeting tonight (September 20) to discuss possible ways of raising money, and a representative from the Royal British Legion in Pattaya – support group for ex-British servicemen and women – was potentially going to visit Gerry this weekend.

For more information on the situation or how you can help, please contact Paul on 084 838 4607, Les on 083 360 5914, or Peter on 087 916 6801.

For those wishing to donate, deposits can be made into the following account:

Account name: Bangkok Phuket Hospital
Account number: 442-3-03132-9
Bank name: Bangkok Bank Public Co Ltd, Thepkasatri Road Branch.
Destination Bank: Bangkok Bank Public Co Ltd. Foreign Inward Remittance Section
Swift address: BKKBTHBK

When depositing, please use the following details:
Gerald Mason
Patient Number (HN): 05-08-020-474
ICU bed 210

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/retired-british-serviceman-in-phuket-hospital-after-car-smash-42014.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-20

I very much doubt the truth will ever be known! Unfortunately because there is virtually no police presence when it comes to drink driving and all the other road laws, people drink and drive! It's wrong and if Mr Mason was under the influence then he certainly should get no help, but we don't know the reason so until that is known people can not make the decision to help or not to help!

This story should be a good reason to check your insurance and emergency funds...especially if you live on the wild side. If you are relying on Charity only, should you find yourself in this kind of situation, then this is not the place for you. Hospitals can, and will turn you down. This man is fortunate he had a friend with some money set aside.

No doubt he's a wonderful man. I hope he makes it through this tough time in his life. Where are all the posters raising funds and donating money...you pack of hypocrites.

You seem to know quite a bit about him, but very little about any of us....as you only see what we write, and not what we do. As far as first impressions, the man definitely has the "look" of being an endearing person. granted.

This story should be a good reason to check your insurance and emergency funds...especially if you live on the wild side. If you are relying on Charity only, should you find yourself in this kind of situation, then this is not the place for you. Hospitals can, and will turn you down. This man is fortunate he had a friend with some money set aside.

Hospitals here have to treat you even if you can't pay!

No doubt he's a wonderful man. I hope he makes it through this tough time in his life. Where are all the posters raising funds and donating money...you pack of hypocrites.

Hypocrites...???

As an American I am independent, therefore would likely be offended if someone tried to help.

The few times I have fallen or been injured, I was upset that people came to help - subconciously knowing I was not weak and could take care of myself.

As a retiree, I have insurance which covers 75%, so I keep a reserve to cover any initial costs. Lastly, driving in Thailand only makes me angry and I am retired, seeking a peaceful life.

Lastly, there are literally thousands of US Military retirees in Thailand, yeet no one has thought to make a note of that fact...HMMM

"a good reason to check your insurance"

A very good point. In fact I did just that after reading this story the first time. I was shocked to find my personal cover was so low compared to the 5 million and 10 million baht cover for third parties. It would be little comfort to know you can pay for the Benz you just crashed into, if you are lying on a hospital bed trying to scrape together funds to pay for your life-saving operation.

Hypocrites...???

As an American I am independent, therefore would likely be offended if someone tried to help.

The few times I have fallen or been injured, I was upset that people came to help - subconciously knowing I was not weak and could take care of myself.

As a retiree, I have insurance which covers 75%, so I keep a reserve to cover any initial costs. Lastly, driving in Thailand only makes me angry and I am retired, seeking a peaceful life.

Lastly, there are literally thousands of US Military retirees in Thailand, yeet no one has thought to make a note of that fact...HMMM

Retirees returning to the crime scenethumbsup.gif

Hospitals here have to treat you even if you can't pay!

Not if they are "full"... who is to know? The ability to pay one's bills and to prepare for the future are pretty basic concepts anyways.

Untill the OP can confirm or deny the the cause of the accident ( its speculated (on other sites where they are also asking for money to fund Gerrys lifestyle) that Gerry was blind drunk and no seat belt )so i , for one,wont be paying anything toward his funds ,if he choose not to bother getting decent car / medical insurance.No insurance company will pay out if you shouldnt have been driving in the first place.Come on OP be honest now ---WHY DID HE CRASH ?

+1

How wonderful to be one of the self righteous! The majority of people living in Thailand would not dream of drinking and driving in any developed Country because of the high incidence of being caught. Here, the ball is on the other foot and sorry to say many fall into the trap of "no one will know", just the same as people ride bikes without helmets, buy land using nominees, do not pay taxes in Thailand that they should - I think that would probably encompass a very large proportion of those on this forum?

To be more practical, if he is an ex-serviceman, there are more options open than just the British Legion. Contact SSAFA, or Army Benevolent Fund or his Regimental Association. I am sure one or more would be able to come to his rescue. Chinese proverb, "many hands make light work".

Good luck Gerry and I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

• Like 1

Untill the OP can confirm or deny the the cause of the accident ( its speculated (on other sites where they are also asking for money to fund Gerrys lifestyle) that Gerry was blind drunk and no seat belt )so i , for one,wont be paying anything toward his funds ,if he choose not to bother getting decent car / medical insurance.No insurance company will pay out if you shouldnt have been driving in the first place.Come on OP be honest now ---WHY DID HE CRASH ?

+1

As I stated previously, he cannot talk or otherwise communicate effectively, and there were no witnesses, so the exact cause remains unknown.

I refuse to pump for information a friend who is cleaning to life through a respirator and is in extreme pain and anguish: sorry.

I likewise refuse to engage in some of the callous, tangential debates this thread has generated.

The good news is that he will be moved to a ward room tonight.

What a sad piece of kit you'd be. Apart from the fact that your the first poster, indicating donors might need a bit more time, your post would be

more likely to deter charity than encourage it. So what have you been doing since you left the Diplomatic Corps.

How wonderful to be one of the self righteous! The majority of people living in Thailand would not dream of drinking and driving in any developed Country because of the high incidence of being caught. Here, the ball is on the other foot and sorry to say many fall into the trap of "no one will know", just the same as people ride bikes without helmets, buy land using nominees, do not pay taxes in Thailand that they should - I think that would probably encompass a very large proportion of those on this forum?

To be more practical, if he is an ex-serviceman, there are more options open than just the British Legion. Contact SSAFA, or Army Benevolent Fund or his Regimental Association. I am sure one or more would be able to come to his rescue. Chinese proverb, "many hands make light work".

Good luck Gerry and I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Thank you for confirming that "Here the ball is on the other foot'. Please, would you also confirm that the shoe is in your court. Thank you.

I think more people would donate if the newspaper didnt show a 70 year old man with a 20 year old ladyboy. The article states his local haunt is Patong. Patong is a known red light area so its correct that people will make assumptions. I cant believe what I am seeing