So now I add a few more words to my topic as adviced

White Christmas13

Most Thai people I know use a lot of tomato sauce to their food

so does my family (apart from ice cream but I don't want to hold my breath )

But why does my family put salt on their fruit? I go and buy some nice

sweet strawberry's which are not cheap and my nephew covers them

in salt my mother in law put's salt on apples and so on.

Am I missing some thing?

I have found, following Thai style, that a (smaller than what they put) amount of salt and sugar on strawberries, for example, is quite good! A lot of strawberries here aren't quite ripe, or sweet yet, although some are. The salt somehow adds something I can't quite explain. Try it yourself, with smaller amounts, maybe you will like it.

I was looking once for salt tablets, as I have a problem called "salt wasting" and no pharmacies have them here. It was suggested to me, that I just eat more salt, and one way was to put salt on fruit. It certainly is cheaper than the salt tablets I have sent from the US, but not as easy.

You might have noticed sometimes chili powder and sugar on fruits too? It isn't bad, try it!

actually in the West there is also some newer desserts, like chocolate with salt or with chili ( of course, not a lot, a very thin layer) or salted caramel.

but i dnt like my fgruit shake with sugar and salt in Thailand, nevertheless :)

btw, i like my fried chicken with some lemon juice. some might find that strange as well.

oh, and hate ketchup. lol.

actually in the West there is also some newer desserts, like chocolate with salt or with chili ( of course, not a lot, a very thin layer) or salted caramel.

but i dnt like my fgruit shake with sugar and salt in Thailand, nevertheless smile.png

btw, i like my fried chicken with some lemon juice. some might find that strange as well.

oh, and hate ketchup. lol.

I can not find anything wrong with having lemon juice on my chicken a lot of people

have lemons on their fish

Try black pepper on your strawberries - I'm not kidding the flavours explode. It doesn't take away from them being sweet it complements the flavour.

I have my family addicted to a few drops of balsamic vinegar on vanilla ice cream. Either buy a premium aged balsamic or reduce a less expensive one - just a few drops.

Salt on grapefruit and musk melon back home, lots of folks do it.

• Like 1

LOL Lets try this again. You do not need more words in your topic heading, you need to summarize what your topic is about in the heading. Try something like this "Why do Thais put salt on fruit?". You will get a lot more views from people who are interested in the topic.

As for salting fruit, small amounts of salt actually increase the sensation of sweetness. I would bet that what you think is salt that your nephew uses is actually a mixture of salt, sugar, and possibly chili.

• Like 1

LOL Lets try this again. You do not need more words in your topic heading, you need to summarize what your topic is about in the heading. Try something like this "Why do Thais put salt on fruit?". You will get a lot more views from people who are interested in the topic.

As for salting fruit, small amounts of salt actually increase the sensation of sweetness. I would bet that what you think is salt that your nephew uses is actually a mixture of salt, sugar, and possibly chili.

Yeah, or, salty fruit. <deleted> is going on?

Or....

30mill, that's a lot of salt!

;)

There is also the fact that the body needs more salt in the tropical climates. In the old days we used to be given horse pills of the stuff to substitute for the sweat lose. In recent days, doctors in the west don't agree with this as they say that the big hit from these tablets can damage the liver.

Regardless, you still need your salt here, salt deficiency will cause you to blackout before you know what is happening if you don't read the signs....................thumbsup.gif

salt will give some things a sweet taste, especially if its not ripe(like green mango). The tomato sauce gets me, I dont mind it on poached eggs or scrambled eggs but thats it yet we go through a big bottle here pretty quick. With the salt quite often they have it mixed with chilli as well, straight salt in small amounts on some fruit does tatse ok and it does actually make it taste sweeter in some cases as well, go figure.