Sinsot, Paying By Cheque

Helicopter

I'm getting married soon and pay a sinsot of B999,999. Don't worry, it's just for show and I'm getting it back less the wedding expenses. I don't want to exchange that much money to Thai currency and then change it back again, not to mention I'd worry about getting robbed carrying that much money. So I want to bring some token amount in cash and bring the remainder as a cheque. How do you recommend doing that? I remember seeing someplace that someone made a fake cheque on his computer and used that. I don't have a clue as to what a bank cheque should look like or how to make a fake cheque on my computer. Don't worry, if I make a fake cheque I won't use a real bank name as that might get me into trouble if someone offical saw the cheque and knew it was a fake. Does anyone have a sample they could send me? Should the cheque be made out in Thai Baht or if it's the equivalent of another currency do you think that would be acceptable for the Thai parents? Has anyone used just a personal cheque? I somehow think that wouldn't look as impressive as a bank cheque. What about real travelers cheques in a foreign currency that I could then refund after getting back home? Please help me out with some suggestions. Thanks.

I think it would be a very good idea to discuss this with your fiancee and have her run the idea by her family. Many Thai families like to see the cash on the table. The whole sin sod issue is fraught with peril, make sure you understand the family's expectations and make sure they understand yours.

As far as the wedding expenses are concerned, guest contributions typically cover all or most of the expenses. You might be better off paying for the wedding yourself, and then the guest contributions will go to you.

I'm getting married soon and pay a sinsot of B999,999. Don't worry, it's just for show and I'm getting it back less the wedding expenses. I don't want to exchange that much money to Thai currency and then change it back again, not to mention I'd worry about getting robbed carrying that much money. So I want to bring some token amount in cash and bring the remainder as a cheque. How do you recommend doing that? I remember seeing someplace that someone made a fake cheque on his computer and used that. I don't have a clue as to what a bank cheque should look like or how to make a fake cheque on my computer. Don't worry, if I make a fake cheque I won't use a real bank name as that might get me into trouble if someone offical saw the cheque and knew it was a fake. Does anyone have a sample they could send me? Should the cheque be made out in Thai Baht or if it's the equivalent of another currency do you think that would be acceptable for the Thai parents? Has anyone used just a personal cheque? I somehow think that wouldn't look as impressive as a bank cheque. What about real travelers cheques in a foreign currency that I could then refund after getting back home? Please help me out with some suggestions. Thanks.

I’ve just asked my wife the question, here is her answer…..

A cheque is a no no, cash is king, along with showing any gold, chanote, cars etc, it must all be shown. I queried having that amount of cash in the house, if it’s a rich family it could easily be 2, 3, 4, 5 million baht. Still have to show it, but you have security guards around to guard it.

You have a few million baht on show and you’re asking for some poor Thai with a gun to come along and liberate it, guards or no guards it’s a big temptation.

Anyway, that’s what she says, but she comes from a poor Issan family so who knows!

:o

Interesting... 999,999 baht, eh? You're quite a negotiator there, Mr. Helicopter.

9 is a lucky number so all 9's is even more lucky. A million Baht as a Sin Sod, wow, I have some rice for sale at 9,999 Baht a bag, that price is lucky for the guests at the wedding

Tell her you will get her one of those giant checks like you see the lottery winners getting. :o

That;s a Hi-So type payment. Movie Stars etc.

Way out of line asking to show that kind of dough, up country in my opinion.

The people up there are sweet but dumber than dirt for the most part and anything can happen when you get a village full of drunks at a wedding.

Keep that kind of money in the bank.

This ain't kindergarden, you're the man, give the family 99,999 and forget about it. That's plenty.

They will respect you more if you don't let them jerk you around.

Fair but firm.

You are obviously well intentioned. A few things you should know. 1. You will not get the sin sot back. 2. The guests to the wedding will not cover the expenses. 3. $25 grand is too much to pay for a Thai women. 4. You are getting ripped off big time. 5. Google Stickmanbangkok sinsot.

What about an IOU???? :o

What a great first post for a troll :D:o

Thank you for such a warm welcome. Now why don't you put your money where your mouth is!!! If you're so sure I'm a troll, how much do you want to bet? Let's say half my sinsot amount? If what I'm saying is true and I can prove it, you pay me 499,999.50 Baht. If I'm a troll, I'll pay you that amount. You're welcome to come to my wedding and witness for yourself the sinsot!!! Do we have a deal? If not, I'll assume it is you who is the coward troll.

i almost got married to a thai woman, until it came to the sinsot. her father wanted a million and when i told him i would not finance him a new truck or pay for next weeks gambling and whiskey debts it kinda went south from there. i told him the only way he would see million from me was in a picture. maybe you can just take a picture of all of the money, or take a picture of the check.

it didnt work with her family though.

Thanks Kruang and others for your advice. I'll call my girlfriend tonight and see if a cheque will be acceptable to her family or how else to handle it to guarantee security. After the replies, I'm really uneasy about bringing that much cash.

:o-->

QUOTE(Phil B @ 2006-04-24 10:40:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i almost got married to a thai woman, until it came to the sinsot. her father wanted a million and when i told him i would not finance him a new truck or pay for next weeks gambling and whiskey debts it kinda went south from there. i told him the only way he would see million from me was in a picture. maybe you can just take a picture of all of the money, or take a picture of the check.

In my situation I'm going to get the money back so it's not a big deal to me except for the security issue and the fact that I'll lose a lot converting my money into Thai currency and then back again.

Ok. You might get it back. I think that a country girl asking to show that much is not very mature.

Like I said, your'e the man. Don't put up with this crap.

They won't think you are a sucker and you can save your face.

Give then 99,999 in ten bht notes if they want to see a big pile of money.

Let them have it.

The people up there are sweet but dumber than dirt for the most part

Great to see the good opinion you have of the people, the people live simple lives so you assume they are dumber than dirt eh?

Some Farangs are so arrogant. :o

Tell her you will get her one of those giant checks like you see the lottery winners getting. :o

That;s a Hi-So type payment. Movie Stars etc.

Way out of line asking to show that kind of dough, up country in my opinion.

The people up there are sweet but dumber than dirt for the most part and anything can happen when you get a village full of drunks at a wedding.

Keep that kind of money in the bank.

This ain't kindergarden, you're the man, give the family 99,999 and forget about it. That's plenty.

They will respect you more if you don't let them jerk you around.

Fair but firm.

don't i remember a recent thread about 4 million baht .... houses ... drama?

You are obviously well intentioned. A few things you should know. 1. You will not get the sin sot back. 2. The guests to the wedding will not cover the expenses. 3. $25 grand is too much to pay for a Thai women. 4. You are getting ripped off big time. 5. Google Stickmanbangkok sinsot.

that depends on the family. everyone is different. if they're honest people you'll get it back, if they're not you shouldn't even get married into that family. i personally gave the sinsot to my wife's mom and she walked away with it, then i got it all back in the evening, nothing missing from it. the wedding costs were split too. maybe i was just lucky..

:o--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phil B @ 2006-04-24 10:40:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

In my situation I'm going to get the money back so it's not a big deal to me except for the security issue and the fact that I'll lose a lot converting my money into Thai currency and then back again.

Well if you are going to get the money back just give them cash and get it back.

i paid 100,000bt.

gutted to see it all laying there before being took away, out of that her parents payed for a party all the beers etc...

i didnt get a penny back but on the flip side i didnt really ask..so i cant moan

Compared with what the costs of the party for about 200 and the grub would have been in the uk it is a small expense.

If you gal is asking for that amount you need to give it serious thought, thats a big amount..ive known of thai-thai going for 3-4000bt if any and ive seen thai-farang going for 30-40,000bt..

Its a tradition and they love a bit of face and having all that cash laid there would certainly do that..

Probably not as much though if there was a fake cheque on top :o

:o--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phil B @ 2006-04-24 10:40:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

When I asked how much her father would give back his answer was NONE. So it was a easy decision for me. She is a wonderful woman but You have to look at the family you will be getting as well as the wife.

My wife's mother initially wanted 100K, but I negotiated it down to 50K.

I wasn't too happy paying anything, but when it was explained that the money would be deposited in a seperate bank account for my wife for security against a "rainy day" - and I do think the vast majority of the money's still there - I was more amenable to the idea.

Likewise, it was explained that there would be no big wedding party. The temple ceremony was carried out by the mother-in-law, who's a Buddhist nun, at her temple. No monks, only us and direct family. She thought it better that the 50K was given as some form of security, rather than being p***** up against the wall.

I agreed.

Obviously it depends on the family/situation. In my case it was for 100k. The father put it in a bag and made off like Santa Claus giving everybody a good laugh. Shortly after it was all returned to me. Also the wedding reception was pretty much paid for by the guests. Around 300 hundred of them giving an average of 200 baht pretty much cleared the food/booze/etc. bills. Definitely agree about 1Mil being over the top.