Wishing for new laws where big bikes can go

robblok

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you call a Big Bike? 150cc, 250cc, 500cc, 500cc+?

I doubt something will change. Its simply not possible. If you set the limit at 250cc many people with smaller bikes will change to 250cc. And many people with smaller bikes will make their bike look like 250cc. And why 250cc? I can go with my CBR150 faster than some cars and faster than most big trucks. Some people will say 500cc+. But why? Mostly because they own a 500cc+ bike themselfes and don't want to share the highways with smaller bikes.

How to handle the selection in detail? Just look at a bike to see its engine size? Seems not very useful. A sticker on the bike saying it is allowed to go everywhere? I guess these stickers will be sold at every somchai shop then. A special licence plate? Maybe, but costs a lot of money to change all plates. There is already a shortage for plates in LOS.

And no car owner wants to share the tollways with bikes. There is already too much traffic. And chaos will be even more in rush hour.

• Like 1

Personally I have no objections to where Big Bikes can go. How about a trade off ? you guys stop that infernal, abysmal row, from your exhausts,designed to stroke your egos,and annoy the more sensitive amongst us, who value a nice quiet and peaceful life! Perhaps when you guys start thinking of others you may also get some support from non Bikers. Meantime lets see some more action like the noisy abatement exhaust ban,as perpetrated by New York City a few years ago!

• Like 1

Personally I have no objections to where Big Bikes can go. How about a trade off ? you guys stop that infernal, abysmal row, from your exhausts,designed to stroke your egos,and annoy the more sensitive amongst us, who value a nice quiet and peaceful life! Perhaps when you guys start thinking of others you may also get some support from non Bikers. Meantime lets see some more action like the noisy abatement exhaust ban,as perpetrated by New York City a few years ago!

I realize loud exhausts are annoying - I don't like them either. But as a bike rider I notice such things, and nearly all big bikes in Thailand DON'T have loud exhausts. They have standard exhausts, or modified pipes that offer only a slight increase in decibels. The main culprits for bike noise are those little Hondas, Yamahas etc where the baffles have rusted out or been knocked out by a teenager wanting noise thrills.

I got a standard exhaust... never changed it I dont need louder.. though this bike is louder as my cbr250 and i notice it in how cars treat me.. they actually move and seem to notice me better. But crazy loud exhausts are bad IMHO.

Yep, but there are cars with loud exhausts too. So lets ban them all from the streets, loud cars and loud bikes smile.png

On the german autobahn there is a simple rule: motorized vehicles which are able to go faster than 60kmh on flat streets (and fully loaded) are allowed to use the autobahn. 60kmh isn't much. A Wave can do it, so in germany a Wave would be allowed to use the autobahn i guess.

I don't understand why most members here want to limit access to higher cc bikes. The reasons for this may be the own ego ("I own a high cc bike and don't want to see my neighbours Wave on the highway") or the insight that it simply would not work to let all Bangkok scooters and bikes use the tollways. But is that fair? IMO this is just the same egoism as a car driver saying "I don't want motorbikes on the highway". Or as a owner of a Porsche saying "Lets ban all these slow trucks from the highways". There are a lot of small and big bikes on streets of Bangkok. There should be a way to make the environment better for all these bikers, small and big. And of course for bicycles and pedestrians too. Egoism is the wrong approach for a better world wink.png

This would be like a dream come true. I do not think that it is good to let waves etc on the highways cause simply it would be too busy and dangerous.

a rule more like every bike which has a factory top speed of 130+ can use the highways. this to protect from overcrowding and with this speed and above you can go along with the traffc.

also people on bigger bikes are (often) better protected by decent helmets and clothing.

also strict rules for bearking this law would be appricitated! so no tuned up bikes.

sounds fair to me this way though has nothing to do with ego but more wth safety imo

• Like 2

I realize loud exhausts are annoying - I don't like them either. But as a bike rider I notice such things, and nearly all big bikes in Thailand DON'T have loud exhausts. They have standard exhausts, or modified pipes that offer only a slight increase in decibels. The main culprits for bike noise are those little Hondas, Yamahas etc where the baffles have rusted out or been knocked out by a teenager wanting noise thrills.

I got a standard exhaust... never changed it I dont need louder.. though this bike is louder as my cbr250 and i notice it in how cars treat me.. they actually move and seem to notice me better. But crazy loud exhausts are bad IMHO.

I'm in Canada at the moment, pulled up to a fuel station today and there was a dude on a nice shiny HD finishing fueling up, I wanted to say "nice bike" but a few seconds later he jumped on it, started it up and almost blew my ear drums. "Fcuken idiot" I said after he pullet out. It had a nice throaty sound though... from a distance.

Yep, but there are cars with loud exhausts too. So lets ban them all from the streets, loud cars and loud bikes smile.png

On the german autobahn there is a simple rule: motorized vehicles which are able to go faster than 60kmh on flat streets (and fully loaded) are allowed to use the autobahn. 60kmh isn't much. A Wave can do it, so in germany a Wave would be allowed to use the autobahn i guess.

I don't understand why most members here want to limit access to higher cc bikes. The reasons for this may be the own ego ("I own a high cc bike and don't want to see my neighbours Wave on the highway") or the insight that it simply would not work to let all Bangkok scooters and bikes use the tollways. But is that fair? IMO this is just the same egoism as a car driver saying "I don't want motorbikes on the highway". Or as a owner of a Porsche saying "Lets ban all these slow trucks from the highways". There are a lot of small and big bikes on streets of Bangkok. There should be a way to make the environment better for all these bikers, small and big. And of course for bicycles and pedestrians too. Egoism is the wrong approach for a better world wink.png

That's simple - limit it to the BIKES only, no scooters, that would eliminate a lot of headaches of what can go how fast. Yes there are some big scooters like Forza and PCX but it would be a lot simpler to go by the vehicle class, not the CC. Let the new Wave on the HWY, and all the 20-30 y.o. scooters will want to go to, and how about the scooters with side cars selling food on the streets? hell the HWYs bill become cluttered the same as any other street in BKK.

• Like 1

This would be like a dream come true. I do not think that it is good to let waves etc on the highways cause simply it would be too busy and dangerous.

a rule more like every bike which has a factory top speed of 130+ can use the highways. this to protect from overcrowding and with this speed and above you can go along with the traffc.

also people on bigger bikes are (often) better protected by decent helmets and clothing.

also strict rules for bearking this law would be appricitated! so no tuned up bikes.

sounds fair to me this way though has nothing to do with ego but more wth safety imo

But there is a speed limit of 120 on motorways in Thailand. Why should my bike be a able to go faster than the allowed speed?

In Germany (without speed limit on the autobahn) my bike qualifies with 60kmh.

In Thailand (with speed limit of 120kmh) my bike qualifies with 120kmh.

Why? There seems to be something wrong in Thailand in general. Or are germans crazy?

you are right, there is something wrong with Thailand and you are right, I do consider germans a bit crazy :)

That on the side, there are diffrent rules for scooters in Germany where they are allowed to go 50 so everything above 60 qualifies for highways.

here scooters are allowed to go 110 or what so ever with the 125cc so therefore I think there should be a diffrent bar to be set. the bar on 130+ has in this case not much to do with speed but it limits to a diffrent kind of bike and mostly also a diffrent kind of rider.

after all we all agree we not can use german traffic rules on the Thai roads reffering for example to the topic currently going on about zebra crossings.

That's simple - limit it to the BIKES only, no scooters, that would eliminate a lot of headaches of what can go how fast. Yes there are some big scooters like Forza and PCX but it would be a lot simpler to go by the vehicle class, not the CC. Let the new Wave on the HWY, and all the 20-30 y.o. scooters will want to go to, and how about the scooters with side cars selling food on the streets? hell the HWYs bill become cluttered the same as any other street in BKK.

Noone would buy a Forza or PCX 150 anymore. Is this fair? And what excatly is a scooter. A Wave for sure not.

We could also limit it to bikes with red colour. Or plates with 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 at the end are allowed on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and plates with 2, 4, 6, 8 or 0 at the end are allowed on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Sunday open for all wink.png

Chaos. And thats the reason why bikes are not allowed. TiT, it will not change i guess.

Edited by wantan

You can take the expressway with your bike... At least I did once.. Ok, that was a little mistake. biggrin.png

They were very nice in helping me out at the very first exit after the tollbooth smile.png

Edited by paz

Allowing all real bikes with clutch (not scooters) seems the most sensible solution.

1. Gasoline autonomy, scooters have 4-5 liters tank, they will need to be full every time before entering the highway.

2. Scooters are not designed to go to Highway. They have poor brakes, thin tires and are very unstable at high speed.

3. Safety: Just imagine how many accidents will occur on the highway with all those cars flying past by and scooters not able to brake. It will be a disaster!!!

Thailand is NOT ready to allow bikes in the highway... simple as that.

The mentality is not the same in SIngapore or Germany, so you cannot use Autobah as an example.

Allowing real clutch bikes with ABS could be a good start and see how it goes from there.

Also remember that the highway fare is quite high, so most likely small bikes wont even bother paying

edit: just typos

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 1

For example the bikes that should be allowed at highways:

Ninja 250 w/ABS and up

CBR250 w/ABS and up

And all other real bikes with clutch and ABS.

Scooters and those Wave should never be allowed to the expressway. Solely Because of safety...

• Like 1

I'd start with bikes 600cc and above, but only allow them at off peak times. Not allowed during rush hour. Maybe even weekends only.

That allows the weekend 'big bike' guys to get in and out of Bangkok and keeps the scooter crowd well away. See how it goes from there.

It has to happen gradually, the mentality of Thai drivers is such that they will not give any respect to a vehicle smaller or less expensive than the one they are driving.

Indicative of the culture unfortunately...

Some big bikes are more expensive than a great number of cars.

Why 600? Because you own a Kawa 650? Can't a 250 or even 150 accelerate harder than a lot of cars/pickups?

No I don't own a Kawa 650. It's difficult to pick the number, maybe you could say 500cc but then the guys on the 470cc Honda's would complain. I'd love to use the highways at the weekend to help me get out of Bangkok so to be honest I'd select a bike based on whatever limit they decided - so I wouldn't be too fussed what the limit was unless it was ridiculous like over 1100cc.

Personally I think it would certainly have to be more than 250 to start with, just to keep the sheer numbers of CBR's, Ninja's, D-Trackers, CRF's etc. away while it bedded in. Like I said, it would need to be done gradually or it would be carnage.

Right, its hard to pick a number and it would be even harder for police or personal at the toll booths to figure out whom to let through so it won't happen. Also if we start worrying about keeping the bike numbers on HWYs low, we may as well forget the whole thing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If limiting access of motorcycles to Tollways is to preserve reasonably rapid speed limits for other users, then there are about 100,000 old pick-ups that should not be allowed on. My Wave regularly overtakes such smoke belchers.

I suspect the real reason for limiting access to Tollways for motorbikes is that it takes too long for a rider to fumble around finding the right change at the till booths. There would be traffic backed up forever. Once e-tolls come in, maybe we'll see bikes allowed.

^^^ I don't think it's the reason, it's just the archaic retarded law, that's it, but it's true, it would take a rider longer to get their money out, put the change away, no to mention those Chinese big bikes with hard to find Neutral, etc.

They already have an e card system, they could make that mandatory for bikes and that problem would disappear.

The real problem is that 'big bikes' have only recently started to be enjoyed by the rich Thai's and the laws and mentality (car for rich man, bike for poor man) haven't caught up yet. Once they figure a way to allow the rich Thai's to use their expensive bikes on the elevated highway without causing total chaos then it will happen.

Lets hope they figure out soon... but then again maybe they have so much cloud that they dont care about the left riding rule and venture everywhere with impunity already.