Phuket is quiet

IrishIvan

My transit hotels are still doing OK, but over the years the average room income has decreased by almost 50%, primary due to western tourists shunning Phuket (scams, jetskis, taxis etc etc), and the influx of Asian tourists who seek a cheaper room rate than their western counterpart.

Phuket Airport is expanding, and I'm still confident that there will be even higher numbers of Asian tourists in the coming years. Last week, ex #2 bought a plot of land next to her hotel to build a transit guesthouse. Tomorrow I sign the lease on a plot of land where I will build a plantation-style transit hotel. Plantation-style means it's in the middle of the rubber trees smile.png

But everything could be so much better for hard-working Phuket SMEs if the island wasn't awash with corruption and incompetence.

Simon

Edited by simon43

There is no doubt that the tourist demographics has changed dramatically over the past couple of years. The days of the free spending westerners has long gone. Now folks are on a tighter budget, and many of these westerners don't visit Phuket any more as there are plenty other cheaper places to visit. The bigger hotels with good marketing are doing just fine, but the smaller independent hotels and guesthouses are struggling. Also the bars and restaurants have a reduced customer base. Local shops are the same. I see a bleak future here in Phuket for many of the small businesses. I speak to many small business folks, farang and Thai, and I don't know anyone that sees a bright future.

From what I read here...from whati experience there... from the way the police treat people...the tuk tuk the jet ski the shop rip offs...overcharging and scsms...I am hapoy to see the place whacked. Make those nutsrealise treat bad. Say bad.do bad. It will bite you back

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My transit hotels are still doing OK, but over the years the average room income has decreased by almost 50%, primary due to western tourists shunning Phuket (scams, jetskis, taxis etc etc), and the influx of Asian tourists who seek a cheaper room rate than their western counterpart.

Phuket Airport is expanding, and I'm still confident that there will be even higher numbers of Asian tourists in the coming years.  Last week, ex #2 bought a plot of land next to her hotel to build a transit guesthouse.  Tomorrow I sign the lease on a plot of land where I will build a plantation-style transit hotel.  Plantation-style means it's in the middle of the rubber trees Posted Image

But everything could be so much better for hard-working Phuket SMEs if the island wasn't awash with corruption and incompetence.

Simon

Yours is a different situation Simon. A transit hotel doesnt really reflect how busy a particular destination is more like how busy (or dysfunctional) an airport is.

Good luck to you though

I made the op just because down in the southerly part of the island its dead as disco

@IrishIvan, yes I agree with your comments. My general view is that the corruption and incompetence that seems to abound on this island is affecting the number of western tourists, and the TAT policy is increasing the number of Asian tourists - the net result being of minimal benefit to island businesses, especially those businesses in the south of the island which rely on the 'holiday' trade.

Basically, it's a complete mess that is entirely avoidable if persons in authority pulled their heads out of the sand/their backsides, grew a set, increased their IQ levels into 3 digits, listened to good advice, stopped putting their greedy fingers in the cookie jar etc etc, blah balh.

It will never happen.....

It's no different than any other September that I can remember........

September is usually a quiet month. School holidays are over and we are still in low season. August was a very busy month and I know quite a few business owners that are reporting the best low season figures ever. These are not catering to the Asian and Eastern European markets.

Come November and the island is going to be more packed than ever.

I would predict this to go on for another 3-4 years before the Asian and Eastern European tourist numbers will start to decline. Than we will really see quiet times on the island.

Jungceylon is full of Asian tourists at present and they are not buying because the same goods are available

in there home country at a cheaper price, its a good place to cool down on a hot day

They majority of tourists coming here at present come on package tours, flights,transfers, accommadation and breakfast

usually for no longer than 2 weeks and are interested in tours and other tourist attractions, so anyone offereing long term

accommadation only is going to miss out

The do not go to bars except for a look especially bangla rd and spend there money in restaurants that cater to tourists

Russian businesses and people who cater to the russians are doing OK

Still plenty of tourists for this time of year but you will not see them in girlie bars

Edited by nedkellylives
  • Like 1

Tourist arrivals at HKT are skyrocketing continuously, but many of these arrivals are turning left when arriving at the highway, heading towards Krabi or Khao Lak. Tourists who first spend time in Phuket and then go to Khao Lak, are usually not so positive about the island. All I can do then, is agree and tell them Phuket is mainly interesting for those who are only into nightlife and/or shopping. But to be honest, if a real nightlife/shopping tourist would ask me advice about where to go, I would more likely tell him to head for Pattaya. Last thing I want to be is a Phuket basher, but disadvantages of the island are well known here.

• Like 1

Khao Lak in its turn, is already losing customers to the island of Koh Phayam in Ranong, which is quieter and less developed. Thai beach resorts are always the same, only the phase of development varies. For those looking for a quieter less commercialized beach, or the real backpacker atmosphere if you like, it's always there, a bit further up/down the road.

• Like 1

Khao Lak in its turn, is already losing customers to the island of Koh Phayam in Ranong, which is quieter and less developed. Thai beach resorts are always the same, only the phase of development varies. For those looking for a quieter less commercialized beach, or the real backpacker atmosphere if you like, it's always there, a bit further up/down the road.

"Thai beach resorts are always the same, only the phase of development varies." - don't you mean, "only the phase of mafia development varies?" :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

not quiet in rawai, one thai guy dead after a shootout last night 02.00 at 7/11 next to laguna..

and the cctv camera dident work

From what I read, one murder a day, is quite for Rawai.

Thalang is murder capital of Phuket

You would be surprised 'oh holy one'. Your town always cops the bad wraps, yet my district which is at least 3 times the size goes under the radar. Per inch of land, Rawai is .... and wins hands down.