Voipstunt

rcm

Hi there,

I just thought it was worth sharing it...Just found a new VOIP service named voipstunt dot com which offers free phonecalls to landlines . The connection quality is pretty good too. I was even able to phone dtac and Ais Mobile Phones...for free.

enjoy,

rcm :o

Edited by rcm

I think this has been discussed/debated here on numerous occaisions previously. VoipBuster is a similar product from the same company. And YES, the free calls to (some) Thai mobiles has been quite a pleasant surprise for the past several weeks. I wonder if it is mistake on their part or what? Mobile calls are pretty much never free. Anyhow, I doubt that particular free service will last long, Voip____ are always shuffling their free calling plans around. I highly recommend them these days as they no longer suffer from latency and the frequent disconnects.

I think this has been discussed/debated here on numerous occaisions previously. VoipBuster is a similar product from the same company. And YES, the free calls to (some) Thai mobiles has been quite a pleasant surprise for the past several weeks. I wonder if it is mistake on their part or what? Mobile calls are pretty much never free. Anyhow, I doubt that particular free service will last long, Voip____ are always shuffling their free calling plans around. I highly recommend them these days as they no longer suffer from latency and the frequent disconnects.

No Mistake Mobiles are free to US as well as landlines I use it to call my TG here in pattaya instead of the Mobile at 3 baht a minute But I am guessing it will stop one day.

I just use Skype's skypeout service. About .06 US per minute. I figure if they aren't worth six cents a minute, they aren't worth talking to. :o

cv

Well, I figure that anyone paying for something that is free is stuupid..

Are you trying to stirr up a VoIPxxxx against Skype debate ? Don't really understand what that post of yours is doing in this thread..

Are you trying to stirr up a VoIPxxxx against Skype debate

What a great excuse to pile on then.

But of course there is no debate - Voip___ is better. :o

Compare the rates. Last I looked there were very few instances where Skype was a better/as-good-as deal than Voip___. In fact Skype is often more than double or triple the cost of Voip___, when it's not free altogether.

Voip___ uses SIP, an open standard which allows my company to route all our LD calls through Voip__ via our open-source Asterisk IPPBX, and allows me to connect a FXS here at home giving me always-on cheap/free LD service on my regular phone. No computer required. Can't do that with Skype!

Skype connectivity and call quality can be dodgy at times yet I've rarely had trouble with Voip__ in several months. Yes, they totally sucked 6 months ago, but no longer.

Despite the increasing number of USB Skype phones you see around, I think the Skype is doomed unless they adopt SIP or open their protocol. And Ebay will simply not be able to help themselves but to turn the Skype client software into bloatware, full of ads and promos and add-ons and other useless crap you could care less about. Remember the Real player -- way back when? Used to be good. Who uses it now? It's a royal pain in the ass. Same applies to Yahoo and MSN msgrs, which used to be simple and easy to manage - they are on that same path. And Skype is certainly right behind them headed down that same path now. As Skype's proprietary, once you reach the breaking point you won't have any other options, apart from switching to another service. Remember Voip___ are service providers first, their client software is incidental. I no longer need to use their client software thanks to SIP. I have a wide selection of hardware, software and other free softphones to choose from. I still use Skype to reach friends who still use Skype, I guess I'd prefer to erase it from my system entirely.

VOIP* is not free - you have to deposit 10 euro - if you wants calls of more than a minute - and this has a life lime of 120 days - but VOIP* are not that strict on that - still if you call alot then 10 euros for 120 days or more is not bad

if your in the uk you can still do it cheaper with a full cash back mobile on o2 or orange and use a call provider out of your inclusive minutes - such as the 07744 and 07755 nos - this will then be totally free and good quality too...

hth

Edited by Khun Bob

VOIP* is not free - you have to deposit 10 euro - if you wants calls of more than a minute - and this has a life lime of 120 days - but VOIP* are not that strict on that - still if you call alot then 10 euros for 120 days or more is not bad

if your in the uk you can still do it cheaper with a full cash back mobile on o2 or orange and use a call provider out of your inclusive minutes - such as the 07744 and 07755 nos - this will then be totally free and good quality too...

hth

Agree with Bob I call the US from Thailand Everyday and talk 1/2 hours so the 10 eros is nothing what would I be paying otherwise ??

I've been using Skype since early last year and it is fine most of the time. Recently I've also been trying out VOIPBuster fir a second time. Tried it last summer and, as others have mentioned, it wasn't up to much. It's better now, but I still find Skype crystal clean on a good day, while VOIP_ has sounded muffled more often than not.

VOIP_ may be free, but you do have to give them 10 Euros. Okay, you have 120 days to use it, but if calls are free you don't use it, just donate them the money. Still cheap though, and it's a good backup for if Skype is giving trouble. And vice versa.

VOIP* is not free - you have to deposit 10 euro
It probably should be pointed out that Skype requires a E10 deposit as well. On their plus side, they do offer to refund it if you don't use it and it lasts a couple months longer than VOIP___'s deposit before expiring. Still, E10 is pretty easy to go through if you use it semi-regularly.

Tried VoipStunt today.

The good thing is that I did not make any deposit: just registered a username, and could call landlines in France.

But the quality was so bad, that the other side could not hear me, and I could get 1 words out of 3. So after 10s I just hanged up, launched Skype, dialed the same number, and it was clear (with a small delay though). In the end I prefer to pay a small fee for a decent quality than free and not being understood.

Consumer Reports says that both ends need to have good quality handsets. They even recommend headsets.

My friend has Vonage and loves it. But when he calls there's always an awkward delay that he doesn't hear -but I do.

I want to call Thailand by voip but want it clear, and the other end will be using a cell. I'm still undecided.

What is SIP doing for clarity? I don't understand it...

Well, I tried VoipCheap -as I'd read it was comparable to the other free voip____ services, if not better. Voipstunt was no better for me.

It was terrible. I could hardly heard through the clicks and break-ups. The other end in Thailand had audible feedback problems.

I tried a friend's Vonage and it was clear on both ends -better than local cell phones. I think it's worth paying for unless someone knows what might be the problem with my voip. I have cable with very high speed and a good headset and mic. The other end will typically be a cell in Thailand.

Edited by ding