Take the American Dialect Test (if you dare)

Jingthing

See which American town or city that is closest to your dialect and which is the least similar as well.

http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/DialectQuizFull/

You can choose the long or short option.

I did the long option. It really WAS long. You've been warned.

In my case, the closest hit was NEW YORK CITY.

I never lived there nor did my parents but they were from the Northeast U.S.

The least similar was NEW ORLEANS.

That makes sense.

• Like 1

Well, I'm from England and got most like New York and the New England area (?)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-09-23 at 12.58.44.png

totster smile.png

Your results were very similar to mine, but my high numbers were 53 percent and low numbers 43 percent. It could be Northeastern American English is more standard American English and I have lived all over the U.S. and also of course abroad.

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting quiz, seems locked up at end (says "generating map" so I have no idea but was long so not taking again right now lol... Guess my Cincinnati childhood, Kentucky roots and career threw it for a loop... :) Maybe try again later... Was a bit trying, I had to say some words aloud... some things like drive-through liquor stores we had no special word for in Kentucky, don't remember having any in Cincinnati where state ran them, but we did have pony kegs in Cinci :)

Will leave the page alone for a while and try again tonight if nothing comes up... :)

"I crashed into granpappy at the kittycat corner anymore ." LOL

Most Similar Cities 1 New York NY 42.3 2 Yonkers NY 41.7 3 Stamford CT 40.9 4 Elizabeth NJ 40.7 5 Boston MA 40.7
Least Similar Cities 1 Des Moines IA 35.2 2 Peoria IL 35.2 3 Joliet IL 35.2 4 Springfield MO 35.2 5 Lubbock TX 35

Yeah, if you are from the UK and getting something in the Northeast, that would make sense, as those are the only accents that even vaguely resemble anything from there. Still not the same thing, but more in that direction. I was surprised (several years ago now) to meet someone from Maine who I swore had to have been raised in the UK....she said no, that is just their accent in whatever part of Maine she was from.

I'm from Ireland and my match was Yonkers.

Lots of people of Irish descent in Yonkers, or used to be. I'm of Irish descent and my childhood was in Yonkers. Neighborhood I grew up in wasabout 1/3, Irish a1/3 f Italian (second or third generation in both cases) and 1/3 Eastern European Jews.

Well, I'm from England and got most like New York and the New England area (?)

totster smile.png

About the same with me. Bit more southern like round Baltimore/Washington.

Things is I am German and not a native speaker but my learned BBC accent got a bit muddled up when I was living in Northern Ireland.

OK, I found the short quiz results a little bit more accurate.

Top town - Yonkers NY 44.4

Also high - Philly (my parents city) and again NYC

Also high -- San Francisco (long time residence)

Neither quiz hit where I grew up.

Lowest

Lexington KY 29.2

and other midwestern/southernish burgs

Mine was pretty screwy. I grew up on a military base in Hampton,Virginia with soldiers from all over the USA and then lived in a bunch of other places, but mostly San Francisco as an adult.

Philadelphia is supposed to be my closet city, but I've never been there in my life.

The test, is at the best, and educated guess by a linguist major with too much time on their hands. Too many factor involved to be the least bit accurate. So, I'll just call is so much B.S and leave it at that. Not worth wasting the time.

• Like 1

The test, is at the best, and educated guess by a linguist major with too much time on their hands. Too many factor involved to be the least bit accurate. So, I'll just call is so much B.S and leave it at that. Not worth wasting the time.

Bet it's fun fun fun in your house...

totster biggrin.png

• Like 1