Helmetless sidecar driver dies after big bike wipeout

webfact

Helmetless sidecar driver dies after big bike wipeout
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A helmetless driver of a motorbike with sidecar died after a high-speed collision with a big bike travelling at high speed in Thalang on Saturday evening.

Tah Chat Chai Police arrived at the u-turn south of Kor En curve, notoriously nicknamed by locals as “Death Curve”, on Thepkrasattri Road (map here) just after 5:30pm.

In the middle of the road was a motorbike with an attached sidecar. The helmetless-driver of the saleng was laying on the side of the road with a broken leg and head trauma, said Lt Col Prakob Boonkwan of the Tah Chat Chai Police.

Witnesses told police that the saleng driver, Pradit Portao, 47, had cut across the road to get to the u-turn lane. In doing so, Mr Pradit cut in front of Panya Suksai, 32, who was driving his Kawasaki big bike at high speed.

Unable to brake in time, Mr Panya slammed into Mr Pradit.

Mr Panya, who was wearing a helmet, was found lying near the road median.

“He had serious shoulder and arm injuries,” Lt Col Prakob said.

Mr Pradit was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital, and pronounced dead at about 9pm that night.

Mr Panya was taken to Bangkok Hospital Phuket for treatment.

Hospital staff confirmed to the Phuket Gazette this morning that Mr Panya is safe, but is still at the hospital receiving further treatment.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Helmetless-sidecar-driver-dies-after-big-bike-wipeout-22318.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-23

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't break in time you are going too fast. UUsually the case with big bikes. They also like to overshoot corners, again because of speed.

Thats bull i ride a 600 and smashed into a little girl in england at 30 mph.. I didnt have chance to brake let alone try to avoid the accident.. Thats why they are called accidents they happen all over the world

If you ar going faster than the distance you have to stop in it is too fast,.

• Like 2

This is the single reason I don't ride a bike in Thailand, I'd love to but...

Fingers crossed that it won't. But, when the time happens that a car or motorbike suddenly pulls out in-front of me without warning or looking I won't be able to fall off my car.

RIP to the moto-side car rider, its fortunate that he didn't take the Kawasaki rider with him.

Many similar accidents can be avoided with a little driver / rider education.

• Like 1

If you can't break in time you are going too fast. UUsually the case with big bikes. They also like to overshoot corners, again because of speed.

Thats bull i ride a 600 and smashed into a little girl in england at 30 mph.. I didnt have chance to brake let alone try to avoid the accident.. Thats why they are called accidents they happen all over the world

All great in a perfect world - However, this attitude is completely unrealistic.

It would be ridiculous to suggest you can stop in time 100% of the time... Driving down the road you'd have to come to a near standstill at every side street, blind junction, green light etc just incase a vehicle pulled out on you. By doing so you'd probably be rear-ended...

Defensive driving / riding is called just that... its not called 100% Safe driving / riding for a reason !....

The logic some people apply to driving or riding suggests the only safe car or motorcycle is one parked up. Which is inherently true, but also unrealistic in the extreme.

Not true... if someone cuts in front of you at the last moment.. no way you can stop in less then a few meters. No somethings just can't be avoided.

• Like 2

When following a vehicle, yes, but the samlor cut in front of him. Do you travel everywhere at 5kph? Because that is what you are saying.

When you ride a big bike here and drive the speed that cars do, you really have to watch the locals popping out because they only "snap look" at oncoming traffic. All they see is a bike and assume it's travelling the same speed as little bikes, 40-60kph, not 120, which is normal for that stretch of road. I have had this happen to 3 friends, and it nearly happened to me on more than one occasion.

What is the speed limit. I would think 60 there by the Thai road laws.

When following a vehicle, yes, but the samlor cut in front of him. Do you travel everywhere at 5kph? Because that is what you are saying.

When you ride a big bike here and drive the speed that cars do, you really have to watch the locals popping out because they only "snap look" at oncoming traffic. All they see is a bike and assume it's travelling the same speed as little bikes, 40-60kph, not 120, which is normal for that stretch of road. I have had this happen to 3 friends, and it nearly happened to me on more than one occasion.

Exactly, and that is why I sold my big bike.

Big bikes are killing machines here, fast and safe driving do not go together here.

The moment I see these goddam salaeng or sidecar things, I am 100% on my guard. They are infamous for crazy manouevres. They never bother with using indicators and most of them don't have them or even any lights at all. They are often very difficult to see at night andlmost of them are illegal as they are registered as the original motorbike or no longer registered at all. A police crackdown is well overdue.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 2

That is of course totally true, however if you look at the stats, Thailand has a very high accident record, which has a lot of contributing factors. 6th worst in the top 25 worst in the world according to World Health Rankings.

Accidents happen! Yes.

More accidents happen, more often in Thailand.

There's a lot of work to be done on this in this country.

You cannot be too careful here and a lot of people aren't.

Is it any wonder many Thais drive so slowly you could swear they are looking for parking spot!

• Like 1

That's Bull! It's like you are saying that every one who rides a big bike, knows exactly when a soi dog, or some small kid, or even adult is going to dart out in front of you, or some car or other motorbike is going to suddenly switch lanes and cut right in front of you, so you should start breaking now. It would seem to me - IMHO - that you are someone who has never been on anything bigger than a 115cc SOOTER, and that is just to hop down to 7/11 and back just a half a kilometer away. And it doesn't matter what you are driving, and that you can be one of the best, safest drivers in the world, you CANNOT PREDICT what some idiot is going to do. So why don't you come out of your little "fantasy world" and join the real one.

Edit: And, YES, I have driven big bikes most of my life since I was 18. Will be 65 in Feb, and next month I'm getting the new Honda CB500f. I sold my CBR 250

Edited by Just1Voice
  • Like 2

As someone who has ridden a large bike in many countries, it would seem that they were both at fault:

(a) The sidecar driver who should have a helmet, but they never do. Also, he probably did not look for traffic before changing lanes

(cool.png The Kawasaki rider who, by the look of his gear, was riding at excessive speed and probably showing off

Never rode anything but BMW's overseas and would have my BMW here but for the ridiculous private import duties..

Make do with my trusty Yamaha 125 here sadly.

Edited by BuriramRes

What a load of crap !! You dont know the distance you have to stop in, it keeps changing. If a car pulls out of a side road directly in front of you then the stopping distance is almost zero. Thats why you hit it ! So by your reckoning we should not be moving to be safe. There is no such thing as a safe stopping distance in Thailand. This is proved every day.

• Like 1

Dont know about bikes but assume same. The older the car the less the import tax see thai customs website

Also they can deduct for damage and also give a discretionary additional discount of up to 25% if car is second hand as i said i assume bikes same u need check

Sent from my GT-S5570B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What is the speed limit. I would think 60 there by the Thai road laws.

90 is the limit with lots of 60 signs at the bends. but on the straights 120-140 is the average for most 4 wheeled vehicles.

As someone who has ridden a large bike in many countries, it would seem that they were both at fault:

(a) The sidecar driver who should have a helmet, but they never do. Also, he probably did not look for traffic before changing lanes

(b ) The Kawasaki rider who, by the look of his gear, was riding at excessive speed and probably showing off

That is some pretty silly speculation. Lots of big bike riders wear riding gear. In my experience that usually means they are more safety conscious than most. You have no idea how the accident went down unless you saw it. The big bike could just as likely been doing the speed limit when it hit the samlor.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

(cool.png The Kawasaki rider who, by the look of his gear, was riding at excessive speed and probably showing off

Never rode anything but BMW's overseas and would have my BMW here but for the ridiculous private import duties..

Make do with my trusty Yamaha 125 here sadly.

If you have an accident you are always partly to blame. I got rear-ended on my brand new BMW R1150R whilst stopped at a red light in London 10 years ago. If I'd have positioned myself next to (or in between) the adjacent waiting cars instead of out in the open in a lane by myself I could have avoided the prang.

I reckon riding a bike in Thailand makes me a better rider for when I'm riding in the UK or Europe. There are so many more potential hazards in Thailand. You really need to keep your wits about you and not relax even for a second. Treat every other road user as an idiot who is out to kill you! And always wear good protective gear no matter how short the trip. That doesn't make bike riding in Thailand any less enjoyable. It's great fun.

Sorry you had to leave your Beemer behind. Import duties are really expensive and so are new BMW bikes. Twice the price of the UK! But you can pick up a second hand bike as I did. My R1200C wasn't my bike of choice but it's a good machine and plods along nicely at 100km/h and will even do 160 if I need to get out of a tight spot. I bought all the extras for it (leather seats, carrier frame, top box, etc.) in the UK and packed them in my hold luggage.

• Like 1

The moment I see these goddam salaeng or sidecar things, I am 100% on my guard. They are infamous for crazy manouevres. They never bother with using indicators and most of them don't have them or even any lights at all. They are often very difficult to see at night andlmost of them are illegal as they are registered as the original motorbike or no longer registered at all. A police crackdown is well overdue.

TIT I'm afraid