Is Thailand a suitable place to bring up a child?

loogkreung

PaullyW, on 27 Dec 2013 - 16:23, said:

Thailand is likely among the worst places one could bring up a child. For so many reasons, it's hard to even begin. It'd end up a 13 page post.

You can't rationalise.....depends, where you live, how much money you can spare for these kids education, how much support and mainly interest you can give to this kid and so many other things.

I think, if the kids belong to our wife, we don't try to put much effort to come close to them.

Eventually we get the same respond from them.....not speaking English etc.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be. I have two pieces of advise:
If you want to stay, then pony up the bucks to send her to a good international school, OR

If you can't afford that, then leave. She'll grow up poorly educated with little motivation to strive for her goals and she won't be a free thinker.

Are you the parent? Do you make the rules? Are you the boss?

If you answer yes to all 3... Thailand should be fine smile.png Good area's, good schools,. good social groups. Just make sure you go into the right area..... Like any other country biggrin.png (Any other, open country, i should add)

If you cant answer yes to all 3 (it seems to a problem with some forum members), then im not sure anything beyond home schooling would work... smile.png

wont get a good education in the village thats for sure..to many meddlers from the family..in the city yes ..private school...thais are about 5 years behind the falang in learning

What are Thai;s teaching that is worse then Creationism as Science in Texan High Schools?
Dont get me wrong... I have no doubt that a village school is not the choice place... But... Are they teaching anything worse then what some Americans are forced to learn?

No disrespect but a person that doesn't know the difference between 'then and than' ("worse then what some Americans"). and uses a semi colon in place of an apostrophe ("What are Thai;s teaching") - or doesn't use the semi colon where required (" Americans are forced") really shouldn't be offering advice on education.

• Like 1

Hello,

Concerns are all valid. Depending on the family core values (my wife's family are traditional) is best to combine a good private school with home tutoring. There are many many online facilities for cloud educational venues, many of which are preferable. Also, best to teach her Mandarin as well, the Chinese are, in fact, coming. This is where the rice and women are.

Yours,

Omar

• Like 1

A few statements:

(1)There are worse things to happen than being educated in Thailand.

(2)Lets see where was the USA in the 60 country study they just finished a few days ago.....35 I think it out of 60 countries.

(3)There are several independent web sites that rate university's world wide. Many Thai university's are in the top 25% of the 10,000 that are rated and they do not charge $25,000 a year. Several of these hold classes mostly in English also.

(4)A bit of home schooling helps and several web sites such as BRAINPOP for about $100 a year are very good tool.

I understand your worries. There are some very good schools in Thailand but they are usually very expensive. I have been an English teacher here for some years now and as a father of a 6 month old girl I plan to go back to London so she can start school when she's 5.

Reasons as follows. Brainwashing, physical punishment and lazy lethargic teaching methods by teachers who ain't really teachers. There are some aspects of Thai schools I really like. Respect for older people especially teachers and bullying doesn't really exist.

Goodluck with what you choose but ask yourself this. Would you like to study at a Thai school if you had a better choice??

All the best. Teacher Tom

• Like 1

Fast forward to when she is now 17 or 18 . . .

She has completed what would be the equivalent of prep school or high school. If you and her mother have been able to sustain your relationship she will be able to speak English (because you taught her) and she will be able to read and write Thai. That's about it particularly if she was in govt schools. Maybe the international schools are some better but I have my doubts.

Just look at the Thai folks around you. And I'm talking about the educated ones.

Do they read books? no

Can solve for X? no

Add up a column of number in their head? Hell no! They think it's magic when I do it. Really

Lovely people TBS but a uni grad has about a prep school education at best.

I raised three step daughters from my marriage with my Singaporean ex-wife all in Bangkok.

I send them to ISB and lived at Nichada Thani for most of the years. Their education was top and two graduated from University of Edinburgh and Osaka University.

I have now a one year old son and I am saving monthly money for him to send him to ISB.

BTW My two step daughters have all a great position now in Singapore and they make good money. Training and homework is still a key. As my stepdaughters are Muslim's they were asked by the family at home to learn the Qu'ran but I told them you better invest your time in learning English, Chinese, Thai and Malay and I forced it on to them actually. ISB is very expensive but mixing around with international kids gives them advantages by learning basic Japanese, Korean etc.

For me I want my son to go to ISB. I am now in a village but when he is three years old we will move back to Nichada but I have to start now already with the savings.

PS: I don't want my kid to to be raised in the West. I guess I am to long hear already.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

Reading these posts reminds me of how many students go to the UK or to the states to learn English, what they are really doing (boys and girls) is trying to find Mr or Ms Right so they can settle in that country, again first world vs third world country, i've often thought of the same thing if i had a child and i think i would like to raise my child in a first world country in an English speaking country, i'm in Sydney at the moment and a person working in McDonald would get about AUD $1000 per week, now work out how many countries in the world offer that kind of salary and the kind of health benefits that go with living here in this country,, probably why boat loads of people are trying to enter this country illegally. Very good food for thought but a hell of a conundrum. Good luck all.

Reading these posts reminds me of how many students go to the UK or to the states to learn English, what they are really doing (boys and girls) is trying to find Mr or Ms Right so they can settle in that country, again first world vs third world country, i've often thought of the same thing if i had a child and i think i would like to raise my child in a first world country in an English speaking country, i'm in Sydney at the moment and a person working in McDonald would get about AUD $1000 per week, now work out how many countries in the world offer that kind of salary and the kind of health benefits that go with living here in this country,, probably why boat loads of people are trying to enter this country illegally. Very good food for thought but a hell of a conundrum. Good luck all.

Not true. Most come back home to Thailand if my daughters friends are a barometer..they help in the family business..parents insist they come back not always want to.

My introduction to Thailand was teaching at an international school some ten years ago. I didn't care for the school's administrators, but the teaching staff was first rate. All certified in their home countries.

Depending on what you have in mind for advanced education you may want to investigate IB (International Baccalaureate) schools.

www.ibo.org/

To be able to look at whatever matter on a critical way. To express those opinions on a polite way. The ability to change opinions if others have a more complete or better way to look at things.

I don't see much evidence of any of that among our TV posters! Seems to depend a lot on the family and the individual, not just the education system.

Friend of mine sent his Thai stepson to a good private Thai school but always taught him English at home and good Western values. He did well and his English was great. He later went to Assumption U (all classes in English), exempted all the English courses, graduated in Business w/ a high GPA. Went to the USA, his degree was accepted most everywhere, got some decent jobs, then was accepted into USA military training as a helicopter pilot. Wonderful success story.

Many Thais do exhibit critical thinking, polite articulate expression, creativity, and all the rest--even though educated in Thailand in Thai schools. It's racist and condescending to believe otherwise in the face of evidence, if you look in the right places. Now, having to conform to Thai society may not make an individual's abilities and character immediately evident, but it's still there.

So I do believe a good Thai school combined with work at home can lead to good education and be exactly suited to the particular kid. I've known cases of parents throwing a fortune behind the education of a fairly worthless kid and it was just all wasted money and effort.

• Like 1

I teach in the country (issan) in a public school. first she'll be beaten with a stick for all mistakes and errors she makes. shell her a ficticous detailed account of history. If she's in a rural school she will get NO english and no computer education (we are living in the 21st century, but the rural poor have no chance of a life without these skills)

The list goes on uneducated teachets, cheating, no accountability for actions,.....

My 4 year old daughter is attending a Bi-Lingual school in Nontaburi and I have no problem with the standard of education she is receiving. She does get a lot of support at home. She is also as fluent as any 4 year old I know of in both English and Thai. She has both English and Thai homework every day.

I know a few of the older Thai children who have attended the school or are currently attending and have found them shy when speaking English but otherwise well informed. The school is run by Nuns and for a Protestant from Belfast that took some consideration but religion is not a subject.

I fully intend to send my 2 year old to the same school when appropriate and when my 10 year old finishes his current term at another school he will also be attending this school. To qualify my background I have three grown up children in the UK an Engineer an Accountant and an Honors Graduate in Computer Science none of whom attended private schools even when we lived overseas.

With the support of parents children can achieve their full potential.

• Like 2

Are you the parent? Do you make the rules? Are you the boss?

If you answer yes to all 3... Thailand should be fine smile.png Good area's, good schools,. good social groups. Just make sure you go into the right area..... Like any other country biggrin.png (Any other, open country, i should add)

If you cant answer yes to all 3 (it seems to a problem with some forum members), then im not sure anything beyond home schooling would work... smile.png

wont get a good education in the village thats for sure..to many meddlers from the family..in the city yes ..private school...thais are about 5 years behind the falang in learning

What are Thai;s teaching that is worse then Creationism as Science in Texan High Schools?
Dont get me wrong... I have no doubt that a village school is not the choice place... But... Are they teaching anything worse then what some Americans are forced to learn?

The problem with the Thai Schools are vast and the private and government schools both have the same problems. Geography and Social Studies are not taught with any great deal of conviction.

Brainwashing about the draconian Thai culture and how great they all are and all the rest takes up more than 50% of the time at school and western parents are not fully aware of exactly how much time wasting goes on.

The school show or sports day takes first place over study and learning.

Then testing.

Your kid will never be tested and fail anything. If your kid is completely failing at school you will not get to know about it. Nobody will contact you and say little Jimmy is doing bad at his English. SOCIAL PROMOTION is the system the Thais use.

Your a paying customer and they want bums on seats so they will condescend to you and fix your kids grades to make him pass even if he plain flopped and failed every subject.

That is the method they use and therefore kids being kids get to know this and by Mathayom 6 couldn't give a monkey's.

You will see clever kids at Thai schools but for the most part allot is down to how much the parents get involved with the child's education but if there are any issues the school wont approach you and give you a heads up that little Jimmy is failing because in the end he will pass every ones a winner in Thai schools.

Having said that it's understandable if you like your life here etc that you wouldn't want to go home for the kids schooling. What a drag that is. Jimmy you little ********. But!!

They would be much better off back home from a schooling view point of course it's a no-brainer really.

post-191980-0-09203100-1388148536_thumb.

Edited by planetoftheapes

Everyone should be worried no matter which country you are in. The most important thing you can do is become involved

an meet with the teacher. Supplement what you think are weaknesses or gaps in learning programs. If you child is bright

and board with what is going on don't move her ahead, challenge her with music or art programs. Piano, dance, sports etc..

The more involved you are the more chance of success she will have. That is for school programs around the world not

just Thailand.

The educational system in Thailand is a shambles, worthless, a disgrace...unless you pay alot of money to put them in private schooling. Which is what I did....but then opted to take my 5 1/2 year old back to the US; not just because of better education.... I was sick of Thailand for many reasons.

No need for private schools here, excellent teachers & aftercare and he has FREE medical insurance that covers everything. Great opportunity for sports: soccer, baseball, basketball, flag football, etc.

Each to his own decisions about their child...I made mine and couldn't be happier.

Cost of living is the same and better in many areas! The air is clean!!!

• Like 2

Wife's lad is near 18, goes to a private school to learn English mainly. He CANNOT talk to me in English, he does not understand anything I say, his mum has to translate. sad.png

And I speak ''no accent'' English.

Exactly the opposite of my wife's teenage lass, moved her out of the village age 12, she now speaks and writes very good English and we chat and watch English Tv and movies together all the time.

I'm thinking he hates and resents you ..........

Sorry, but I tend to agree. He probably has no desire to communicate with you. Where there's a will there's a way. No will: no way.

WOW... what can I say, except ... there must be more here than just me.

Indeed, if some of you'd know my story, maybe some would have jumped already (I read that too many times and, from what I hear and see every day, I don't only fear about my son's upbringing in this land, but I am freaking out, just thinking about it from miles away)

Who EVER is interested to know more, I invite you to look me up on facebook... eton.pasta, leave a note that you'd come from here, at thai visa, and join me there, for now.

There is absolutely nothing that would help people her in Thailand, NOTHING, So - despite I am a farang, I plan to take action, myself.

This cannot go on as it is. I am now planning to establish a "human self-helping group". People who have family problems of any kind, and mind you, this is not just for farangs, so if any THAI read this and feel they are being treated wrong, and far too bad, too, WELCOME, join me.

I believe it is time, for human beings to DO something, not just site around and say this is how it is and then just complain and winch.

Let's do it for our sons and daughters, who cannot help themselves.

Best wishes for all of you and have a happy new year. Heads up. tomorrow the sun will rise again.

I agree. I also have a young Thai daughter, and am very concerned about the education system here. Am not really sure

that the private school system here is that much better than the public system. My primary concern is her learning

the process of critical thought. Clearly that process is not really needed here in Thailand, but when she goes

abroad to America to college it will certainly be needed...... So my thought is to do a fair amount of home schooling

in combination with the public school I will be sending her to, and will be keeping an eye on how things are turning out.

Don't send her to public school. Yes many dedicated teachers at public school but 90% of students are naughty and not interested to learn. Edited by Shancloudy
  • Like 1

I have a daughter and am worried about her growing up and being educated as a Thai. Are there others out there with similar concerns, and what did you do about it?

You can homeschool, send them to an International School, or also if there is a Filipino school staffed entirely by Filipinos.

Anything but having Thainess beaten into them by Thai villagers that call themselves teachers here.

I live near a good Bilingual school here, it is about 100k baht a year. All the Thai teachers are from Isaan villages. No one else will work the hours for 10k baht a month, and they need the perks that go with it (ease of loans etc.)

WOW... what can I say, except ... there must be more here than just me. Indeed, if some of you'd know my story, maybe some would have jumped already (I read that too many times and, from what I hear and see every day, I don't only fear about my son's upbringing in this land, but I am freaking out, just thinking about it from miles away) Who EVER is interested to know more, I invite you to look me up on facebook... eton.pasta, leave a note that you'd come from here, at thai visa, and join me there, for now. There is absolutely nothing that would help people her in Thailand, NOTHING, So - despite I am a farang, I plan to take action, myself. This cannot go on as it is. I am now planning to establish a "human self-helping group". People who have family problems of any kind, and mind you, this is not just for farangs, so if any THAI read this and feel they are being treated wrong, and far too bad, too, WELCOME, join me. I believe it is time, for human beings to DO something, not just site around and say this is how it is and then just complain and winch. Let's do it for our sons and daughters, who cannot help themselves. Best wishes for all of you and have a happy new year. Heads up. tomorrow the sun will rise again.

Really original idea. Good luck with that. Whinge (winch?) on Facebook as well as TV.