Is Thailand a suitable place to bring up a child?

loogkreung

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you the parent? Do you make the rules? Are you the boss?

If you answer yes to all 3... Thailand should be fine smile.png Good area's, good schools,. good social groups. Just make sure you go into the right area..... Like any other country biggrin.png (Any other, open country, i should add)

If you cant answer yes to all 3 (it seems to a problem with some forum members), then im not sure anything beyond home schooling would work... smile.png

wont get a good education in the village thats for sure..to many meddlers from the family..in the city yes ..private school...thais are about 5 years behind the falang in learning

What are Thai;s teaching that is worse then Creationism as Science in Texan High Schools?
Dont get me wrong... I have no doubt that a village school is not the choice place... But... Are they teaching anything worse then what some Americans are forced to learn?
Edited by x0r1987
  • Like 1

No, its not a good place if you have desires for your kid. Personally by having kids who went to kindergarten and anubaan, i have seen the chances our societies offer in public life and education. To be able to look at whatever matter on a critical way. To express those opinions on a polite way. The ability to change opinions if others have a more complete or better way to look at things. In general that is what western society has ahead of the thai society. Thailand is a family based society where the influences of some are quite strong to keep their family as nr 1. That has it good sides but for many western fathers of luugkreungs who really care about their children it can mean alienation because of differences in cultural ways. It all depends ofcourse which circles 1 chose to join. Ended up with.

• Like 1

If you live in Thailand because you work here, or married and don't want to leave....well, I would likely send my kid to a Thai school until they are mature enough to leave. likely high school. and i would do a little home schooling in the 7th/8th grade. If you are not tied to Thailand and have the means to live in another country, I would. stress learning thai, and the rest is normal kid stuff. I would worry about the pollution, and maybe get some blood tests every 5 years just to check the normal stuff. i got a blood test and found out i was super anemic, and without the test i probably never would have guessed (had it a long time and so symptoms not as obvious). my 2 cents...

As a whole, I'm not too worried about the education system (with the exception of royal idolatry), as I believe it's down to the individual and the encouragement of the parents. Besides, the state system in the UK is also a bit of a shambles. My concerns are about her not having the support from my family back home, growing up without a circle of English friends, and the opportunities, or lack thereof, if she grows up here. I also think living in the UK allows a more healthy, outdoor lifestyle. There's only so many shopping malls you can visit....

Living in the UK allowing a more healthy, outdoor lifestyle....

That would depend on where in the UK you live.

I have thought long and hard about whether or not my two step-daughters would be better of in the UK or where they are in Thailand.

UK, for us, would mean London. Thailand means Chiang Sean in Chiang Rai.

In Thailand, they have that more healthy, outdoor lifestyle. They play outside, they live in a nice community, with people who have good family values and a strong sense of community.

They would not get that in my part of the UK.

As for academic possibilities, there is something to be said for the advantages of a UK education, but what kind of people would they be?

To my mind, they're better of being brought up as Thai people. The values they are learning, and way of life they will experience in their current location are so much healthier for them than those that are the norm in my part of the world.

This is it. all our circumstances are different. Chiang Sean sounds great, but because of the hours I work and the heat of Bangkok, means we spend very little time outside of air-conditioned buildings. We're also alone here, so life in Bath with family and friends would be a lot more varied. As I said earlier, it's not really about the school - my daughter goes to a nice private school, with arguably a better standard of education than the British state schools, it's more to do with a fear of isolation.

• Like 1

compared to where? for me no it is not suitable. My son went to a top grade USA public school then graduated from an ivy league school. he now has a great job making huge amounts of cash and a great future. thailand never crosses his mind except when thinking about me. Would I trade that for him going to school in Khon Kaen? LOL, no way. my son is zero % thai and 25 y/o now

• Like 1

i brought up my half thai/half american daughter here in Phuket, as i knew her future would be in the west she was brought up in Bi lingual schools till she was 8 than went nto an international school , she is now studying at Sonoma state university in Ca.

You an only u must deciede what you want for her as she has no idea,

A thai education is fine if you plan on her an you only staying in thailand.

If all u wish is for her to learn what is taught than ur fine, if you want her to learn to think a thai school will not teach her that.

Giving her a western ( ie international edcuation) gives her choices when she is at the age to make them, only sending her to a thai school gives her few options.

• Like 1

I agree. I also have a young Thai daughter, and am very concerned about the education system here. Am not really sure

that the private school system here is that much better than the public system. My primary concern is her learning

the process of critical thought. Clearly that process is not really needed here in Thailand, but when she goes

abroad to America to college it will certainly be needed...... So my thought is to do a fair amount of home schooling

in combination with the public school I will be sending her to, and will be keeping an eye on how things are turning out.

Our little girl goes to a private school in Buriram, supposed to be learning English (ahem...) Chinese, ok because teachers are mostly Chinese, and Thai. She speaks Bangkok Thai and gets criticised for not knowing Isaan expressions. Chaotic classrooms, I once watched how kids from another class just walked in and ran around.

She is a worker and is one of a small group of girls that do appear to be trying to get some work done.

Home schooling: if I had my way, that's what we would be doing, resistance from the family put paid to that. (Meaning I drive her to school every day, 5 - 6 000 Baht a month only for diesel). She teaches me Thai, I teach her English, I am already noticing bad pronunciations and other mistakes).

What I notice all the time is that she enjoys stimulation, I a getting her to correct me when I deliberately (or sometimes not) make mistakes, tell her fibs, hide her shoes.

Every situation is different, we are trying this solution for now.

• 2 weeks later...

As a whole, I'm not too worried about the education system (with the exception of royal idolatry), as I believe it's down to the individual and the encouragement of the parents. Besides, the state system in the UK is also a bit of a shambles. My concerns are about her not having the support from my family back home, growing up without a circle of English friends, and the opportunities, or lack thereof, if she grows up here. I also think living in the UK allows a more healthy, outdoor lifestyle. There's only so many shopping malls you can visit....

We have thought many times about this. I have posted on this lots. The short of it is this. - rich thai's do not privately educated kids here or send to state or part state schools.

Not much for kids to do in Los that is not correctly managed and run stuff. Okay look at this we did regular junior school in Uk with trips to Thailand to the family couple of times a year to keep the Thai thing going - Our daughter now 12 - we decided if we could afford private school in Thailand we should consider the same in the Uk so that is where we are. She never plays video games or sits for hours in front of tv as she is always enjoying herself at gymnastic ( she also does lots of competitions ) she is extremely happy and well rounded as a person. Best of both worlds. She mixes with anyone and loves to do her best in everything she does. She is very polite and very understanding.

The other thing lots of folk say Thailand is better for their kids for many valid and not so valid reasons mainly due to the fact they actually want to live in Thailand and excuse for their own reasons why they should keep the kids there.

• Like 1

..... I also think living in the UK allows a more healthy, outdoor lifestyle. There's only so many shopping malls you can visit....

I lived in the UK over 50 years, not much time spent outdoors, too wet, too cold.

Now in Thailand my kids are in and out all day, every day, then there is the hiking, cycling, swimming all year round.

Who goes to shopping malls?

• Like 2

Wife's lad is near 18, goes to a private school to learn English mainly. He CANNOT talk to me in English, he does not understand anything I say, his mum has to translate. sad.png

And I speak ''no accent'' English.

Exactly the opposite of my wife's teenage lass, moved her out of the village age 12, she now speaks and writes very good English and we chat and watch English Tv and movies together all the time.

I'm thinking he hates and resents you ..........

Edited by FiftyTwo

Everyone's experience and thoughts makes interesting reading but I really think it all comes down to money. If you can afford good international or top notch Thai schools here and then finish off with overseas university or even better some high school and uni OS then Thailand is going to be okay. If your finances only allow Thai government schools then you are better off back in your home country. As undesirable as it is, like most things in life, money can usually give you the lifestyle you want.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

My kids started out in a renowned Thai kindergarten. In my opinion it was appalling. We moved them to an international school and the difference is night and day.

Had a similar experience with my daughter who is now 16. A bit older perhaps but the same outcome. Started her at a bilingual Thai school when we moved here ( she was 10). Moved her to an international school within a year or so. Significant difference for the better.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

..... I also think living in the UK allows a more healthy, outdoor lifestyle. There's only so many shopping malls you can visit....

I lived in the UK over 50 years, not much time spent outdoors, too wet, too cold.

Now in Thailand my kids are in and out all day, every day, then there is the hiking, cycling, swimming all year round.

Who goes to shopping malls?

You know what I think you can live anywhere really, life tends to be what you make of it.

We have bad weather and at the same time seasons to deal with some don't like the season - I say we get the best of both worlds. We get out and about all year. Our family in Thailand all avoid going out due the the heat. The kids really do not like it. all the children I know Thai or mixed race once they come from Thailand to the Uk love It here to live but always love the time they spend in Thailand - either way life is what you make it

Fifty Two sounds like you got a good mix there going on Enjoy - good luck

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No, it is not. -_-

Try finding a place for your youngster to play. I have lived in several places in the U.S. and was always able to find a descent park in walking distance. Here we have to take a taxi to the park :ph34r:

Don't even get me started on the education system, emergency services, etc. :mellow:

What????

u only take your kid to shopping malls in Thailand????

• 1 month later...

There are many strong opinions on education in Thailand.

I have lived in Thailand for almost 2 years. I moved my children here (age 5 and 8) from Australia in December. I only moved them here after thoroughly checking available options including government, bi lingual and International schools. The short answer is it comes down to money.

My kids are enrolled in an International school. For me there was no option.

Please keep in mind that my children will be returning to Australia to continue their education in the future.

I live in Pattaya so there are many options. Remember that there are good and bad schools at all levels.

Wife's lad is near 18, goes to a private school to learn English mainly. He CANNOT talk to me in English, he does not understand anything I say, his mum has to translate. sad.png

And I speak ''no accent'' English.

Exactly the same with me. Put my stepson through the private schools and then into Thai Royal Navy officer college where he's in his first year. No English, to say the least. Shame becaue he's a great lad and got top marks to get accepted by the Naval academy.. My work is done!

compared to where? for me no it is not suitable. My son went to a top grade USA public school then graduated from an ivy league school. he now has a great job making huge amounts of cash and a great future. thailand never crosses his mind except when thinking about me. Would I trade that for him going to school in Khon Kaen? LOL, no way. my son is zero % thai and 25 y/o now

I, for one, am not quite sure what to say in reply to this comment. There's so much to mention.

Edited by Johnnie99