Plodprasop: Floods 'under control'

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plod doesn't exactly have a good track record of flood management.

Oh come on, his propellor scheme turned physics on its head, who needs Stephen Hawkins when Plod is about, Cambridge should appoint Plod as Lucasian Professor of theoretical physic's with immedate effect

• Like 2

Floods have already affected more than 2.1 million people this month and ravaged more than 1.14 million rai of farmland.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general Chatchai Phromlert said yesterday that floodwater had also damaged 2,310 roads, 6,900 houses and 145 bridges. "Of the 29 flood-hit provinces, the situation in just five has returned to normal as of today," he said.

Still under water are Surin, Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani, Buri Ram, Amnat Charoen, Chaiyaphum, Yasothon, Mukdahan, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Kamphaeng Phet, Phetchabun, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Chainat, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaew, Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao, Ayutthaya, Angthong and Suphan Buri.

Many of these provinces are heavily flooded. The worst-hit spots in Chaiyaphum are about 2.8 metres under water.

Yep , business as usual !!!!!

Flooding in Thailand is a regular seasonal event....dams cannot eliminate this. At some point water can't be held back and is released. Some dams like Mae Wong will have little or no effect at all. THe reasons for wanting to build a dam that has been rejected repeatedly for 34 years are mystifying and nothing to do with the efficacy of the dam itself.

dams have little effect of serious flooding, but they do give a false sense of security and lead to inappropriate development on flood plains.

As a former inhabitant of Brisbane I can vouch for the results of complacency over flooding there that was largely brought about by the damming of the Brisbane river in the 70s.

looks like the govt is backing away from the Mae Wong project and is also reviewing the general thoroughness of the research into flood control.

How will K. Plodprasop take this smack in the face? I won't admit it's a smack in the face for a start. (good job he had no financial backers or they'd want their money back?)

You don't get it.

Remember, 'Thaksin Thinks, Puea Thai Acts' ?

That's still their motto.

Thaksin is doing the thinking for Puea Thai, including the proxy PM, the Defense Minister (same person), Chalerm and Plodprasop.

Thaksin wants to project the image that things are being managed well by PT. So he tells Plod to paint a rosy picture. Plod has two choices: comply, or lose his job.

Thailand: Land of Image, Not Substance.

• Like 1

Please note that I specifically excluded those not in support of PTP/Plodprasop. They are simply victims of their neighbours poor decisions.

True, the lack of education, means they are not able to distinguish good from bad, but then they should perhaps leave the voting to someone who is? This is the same reason children are not allowed to vote. And no I do not know if things would have been different with a democrat government - did I say that?

It still does not explain why they only demand free cash (for themselves), instead of demanding ministers who are experts in their fields - or both.

And do not forget, when someone does come around the village to try and educate the villagers a bit by explaining what is wrong with the PTP promises, or if some scholar explains that in a newspaper, then they are usually attacked one way or another. Seems to me the villagers do not want knowledge, they are happy with the herd mentality - and the free cash :-)

Sadly you are rite those who voted against the PTP are innocent victims. The same as all the citizens who died in Hitlers war. All innocent just dead because of some one else choice.

Interesting he talks about the flood in Bangkok being the Democrats fault. He fails to mention that it was the PTP who allowed all the other provinces to get flooded to the point where the water had no other place to go. Many of the voters who elected them received their education from Thaksin's government. All previous governments are responsible for the lack of education. That includes this one.

How many false promises of a better life before the population wakes up and sees what a load of garbage they have elected.

Money talks, democracy walks... out the back door

Worst flooding in 26 years - girl, 10, swept away in Prachin Buri

Am I missing something here ?

Are you suggesting the Mae Wong dam or any other dames would have prevented this??

I know less about this dam. If the dam is flood control dam then the worst flood in 26 years could never able to come close of beating it assuming the dam was designed with the lowest spec for flood control. Normally a flood control dam is designed to take on the biggest flood in 50 year.

Edited by ResX

Worst flooding in 26 years - girl, 10, swept away in Prachin Buri

Am I missing something here ?

Are you suggesting the Mae Wong dam or any other dames would have prevented this??

I know less about this dam. If the dam is flood control dam then the worst flood in 26 years could never able to come close of beating it assuming the dam was design with the lowest spec for flood control. Normally a flood control dam is designed to take on the biggest flood in 50 year.

Just look at Brisbane...in general dams are red herrings or at best band-aids - they should be looking at where they build and develop. Thailand NEEDS floods to grow rice etc. - if you build on a flood plain then take the consequences - if you play with the water supplies and engage in de-forestation then be prepared for the consequences.

Edited by wilcopops

Floods 'under control'

What a rubbish. Our house in Sisaket and a few hundred others are flooded.

There's nothing under control.-wai.gif

You silly man, everything is fine where you are....there is still internet! coffee1.gif

You fool, everything is fine at the tree house out of town, with Wifi....please see photo inside our house from today the 6th October 2013.

Does it look good to you?-wai2.gif

post-108180-0-35491100-1381033318_thumb.

Floods 'under control'

What a rubbish. Our house in Sisaket and a few hundred others are flooded.

There's nothing under control.-wai.gif

You silly man, everything is fine where you are....there is still internet! coffee1.gif

You fool, everything is fine at the tree house out of town, with Wifi....please see photo inside our house from today the 6th October 2013.

Does it look good to you?-wai2.gif

You were lucky just a short flood.. not like what i had in 2011.. Damage will be the same but living in a flooded house for 1 1/2 month is not fun. Internet and power kept working all the time.

I wish you a lot of luck cleaning it all up can be done relatively fast.. but unlike me you did not have or opportunity to move things up ?