Cycle recommendations?

Cam Khao

Hi folks,

In my ongoing effort to get back into shape following too many years of enjoying the good life, I am thinking about adding cycling to my weekly exercise regime.

Having not ridden a bike since I was a teenager, I have no idea whats good or bad these days.

A little research tells me that I should be looking for either a hybrid or a mountain bike.

Anyone have any recommendations at all? My criteria are below:

Needs to be fairly sturdy, I'm not the lightest of people at almost 100kg :)

Needs to be suitable for an occasional long distance weekend trip.

Preferably available to purchase somewhere close to Surin.

Needs to be inexpensive. Note I say inexpensive, not cheap. I'm not looking for top of the line, but I'm also not going to buy a Big C special.

Thanks in advance!

Cam

So you sometimes want to go offroad or use dirt tracks? Only in dry conditions or do you plan rides through muddy places? Do you need a rack for transport? And whats your budget?

With a hybrid you can go to most places without problems. But if you want to go through mud or real heavy terrain you need a mountain bike with width tires and knobbies.

Imo you should at least spend 15,000 for a quality bike. The more, the better it will be. But if you only ride in dry conditions you may not need disc brakes and could save some money.

If you don't know how to service the bike you need a good shop that can help you. So i would suggest to look for good shops near the place you live first. Have a look at the bikes, take some pictures and talk to the shop owners. Maybe you can even try some bikes. Then come back and maybe we can help you to pick the right bike for you. At the end you are the one who will ride the bike. It has to fit to you. It takes some time to find the right frame-size. A good shop will help you with this and will let you try different sizes.

Depends on the riding style you aim for. If you avoid single track, dirt and gravel roads, and you buy the bike for exercise, then by all means go for a road bike. The lighter the better. For 10-15k you will have to make a lot of compromises on quality and weight, though. Consider buying second hand. Make sure you get a frame that fits your size; it's worthwhile to learn a bit about bike fitting and frame geometry before you go out and buy.

Cheers, CM-Expat

If you don't go offroad there is no need for a mountain bike. I would suggest a "hybrid". Something like the following:

http://www.thebicyclerepairshop.com/rental-bikes/hybrid.html

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p57590/CBR-Richmond-2013-Hybrid-Bike.aspx

Better go for wide tires. They are more comfortable and better suited for almost 100kg. Should be at least 32mm wide, better more (wider).

Let it be with or without mudguard, up to you. I have mudguards on my hybrid and i like it. Even if riding at dry weather, sooner or later you will pass some puddles. Without mudguard you and the bike will get much more dirty.

And as you will ride mostly in sunshine i suggest to avoid disc brakes as they are more difficult to service and more expensive. Don't go for cheap disc brakes. Better go for some v-brakes where brake pads are inexpensive and easy to get.

Edited by wantan

OK, a little update.

Following the advice I was given here, I went and visited every bike shop in Surin.

This resulted in zero success. The only hybrid I was offered was what I think must be a Chinese made thing, named a Hybrid Sonic. Price of 6k Baht, so this is very likely a piece of junk, and it would have needed to be ordered, it wasn't kept in stock.

So, not to be put off from starting my cycling career, I splashed out a few K on a junk bike, something I can ride until it falls apart whilst I find something better. I mean, this thing even has a basket on the front! Pure cheap crap :) But its a bike and its got me out riding.

Now, I started looking around for shops that stock decent bikes that are not too far away from me. I came across LA Bicycle, which looks like being a Thai brand?

They have a decent website, and a shop in Ubon, so I could actually make a trip there.

Has anyone come across LA Bicycle before? I actually like the look of the 4th bike down, the 700C Navigator on this page of their website:

http://la-bicycle.th.com.my-website.in/city-proline.html

Unfortunately, the description is in Thai :( So I will have to get the Mrs to take a look and translate it for me.

Anyone come across this brand or even this particular cycle before?

Cam.

LA Bicycle is Thai and a good place to look for a starter bike. That is what I did at first. After riding it for a while I realized I needed a bigger frame and better parts so moved up to Trek. Over time I have replaced and upgraded everything on my Trek, including the frame.

If like me, you don’t know what you want initially, buy something affordable and work your way up as your fitness and abilities improve.

Cam Khao, good you just started cycling. Its fun on every bike in my opinion smile.png

It can be very difficult to find a good shop if you don't know where to start. Maybe one day you see a nice bicycle on the street, try to ask the owner where he bought it. Or a group of cyclists would be a good source for information. There are more and more shops nowadays, but they are hard to find. And of course there are a lot of shops with cheap crap that have to be sorted out. Takes some time.

But if you don't know how to service the bike you will need a good shop sooner or later near to your home. If you can do it yourself you can order spare parts per post. Don't give up, i am sure there is a shop thumbsup.gif

Edited by wantan

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure you tried these shops [ http://bicyclethailand.com ] , but just in case;

LA Bike Shop – Surin
215 Thetsaban 1 Road
T. Nai Mueang A. Mueang Surin
Surin 32000
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel. 081-879-8789
GPS – N 14.890664, E 103.491125

Mink Cycle
39 Prummathep Road
Surin 32000
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel. 082-757-5015
GPS – N 14 52.642, E 103 28.934

Por Jakrayan
72-74 Thetsaban 1 Road
Surin 32000
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel. 045-511-032
GPS – N 14 53.287, E 103 29.593

The LA Bike 700c Navigator looks dialed for a day/night city commuter who won't see many hills ;). Not the sort of machine to stand up and stomp on the pedals.

If your aim is to get back into shape, and occasional weekend tour, then a more aggressive hybrid may be your answer. An alternative would be a MTB with road tyres [These will be smaller at 26" than the 700c - about 29"- but no real issue]. Check it is rack-ready.

Remember to have fun!

OK, a little update.

Following the advice I was given here, I went and visited every bike shop in Surin.

This resulted in zero success. The only hybrid I was offered was what I think must be a Chinese made thing, named a Hybrid Sonic. Price of 6k Baht, so this is very likely a piece of junk, and it would have needed to be ordered, it wasn't kept in stock.

So, not to be put off from starting my cycling career, I splashed out a few K on a junk bike, something I can ride until it falls apart whilst I find something better. I mean, this thing even has a basket on the front! Pure cheap crap smile.png But its a bike and its got me out riding.

Now, I started looking around for shops that stock decent bikes that are not too far away from me. I came across LA Bicycle, which looks like being a Thai brand?

They have a decent website, and a shop in Ubon, so I could actually make a trip there.

Has anyone come across LA Bicycle before? I actually like the look of the 4th bike down, the 700C Navigator on this page of their website:

http://la-bicycle.th.com.my-website.in/city-proline.html

Unfortunately, the description is in Thai sad.png So I will have to get the Mrs to take a look and translate it for me.

Anyone come across this brand or even this particular cycle before?

Cam.

After comparing many imported brands and comparing the components, i purchased an LA Proline bike, the Backbone model....the brakes, front fork, rims and tires are of the same level of quality as the equivalent Trek, Specialized or Meridas...plus it is lighter.

The derailuer, crankset and gear shifters are also one step higher than those brands , for equivalent models. When i purchased the bike i told them to put 1.5" road tires on it, as a point for them to make the sale.

The frame is also double butted, the Specialized at 14k was not, the TREK was a tank and the Merida did not come with disc brakes....LA bicycle is an OEM manufacturer, one of those brands sell for in excess of 100k baht.

Best purchase decision i made in 2013. I have around 1000 kilometers on it so far. I cant comment about the other lines of LA bicycle, but the Proline series is a quality bike for 9k baht vs 14k-16k for the equivalent imported models. The LA Backbone comes in 15" and 17" frames. (mountain bike and road bike frames are sized differently)

**not being a pro oriented bike shop, the shop mechanics will not be as involved in their work...so check that all gears are functioning smoothly while riding the bike, disc brake pads are adjusted and make sure the rims are true and if you change the tires make sure they use the correct size inner tubes. - i had to correct these things myself, but this doesnt always necessarily mean that a high end shop will be perfect either, you dont know what happens until you ride it for a while.

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1