Stamping a new number into an engine and getting the book updated.

Spoonman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... nice wheels, too! thumbsup.gif What brand and tire size?

Was the water-in-the-engine issue covered by the Ford warranty?

Along with the new engine warranty info, what is your asking price?

Wheels are 22", I think they are Lenso's but would need to check them to be sure, tyres are 275/45/22, I also have the original 17" alloy wheels.

Engine issue not covered by warranty (Ford policy is water in engine = no waranty and they did not care to investigate how it got in there)...and as it was pulled to pieces by Ford this also voided an insurance claim.

Vehicle is still under finance so would need to discuss price with prospective buyer however when it is back together I will be looking at a new vehicle and will ask what the trade-in price would be....that will give me an indication of its worth.

.... nice wheels, too! thumbsup.gif What brand and tire size?

Was the water-in-the-engine issue covered by the Ford warranty?

Along with the new engine warranty info, what is your asking price?

Wheels are 22", I think they are Lenso's but would need to check them to be sure, tyres are 275/45/22, I also have the original 17" alloy wheels.

Engine issue not covered by warranty (Ford policy is water in engine = no waranty and they did not care to investigate how it got in there)...and as it was pulled to pieces by Ford this also voided an insurance claim.

Vehicle is still under finance so would need to discuss price with prospective buyer however when it is back together I will be looking at a new vehicle and will ask what the trade-in price would be....that will give me an indication of its worth.

That's a bummer on the face of it!

What does Ford charge for one of their new 2.2 engines and what brand and model are the tyres?

You did 14k without changing the engine oil and filter! blink.png

First service is at 15k.

.... Uh-oh! We won't pound you about this one .... you have experienced enough troubles with this vehicle as it is!

Edited by thailoht

For the short engine only it is Bt.58,000 also to required to purchase are new headlbolts/head gasket/Timing Chain/Timing Chain Cover/Timing Chain Tensioner (and bolts).,..total spend so far is Bt.70,000 but Iam sure there will need to be more parts purchased.

Tyres are just some China made things as I bought the wheels/tyres as a package combo.

For the short engine only it is Bt.58,000 also to required to purchase are new head bolts/head gasket/Timing Chain/Timing Chain Cover/Timing Chain Tensioner (and bolts).,..total spend so far is Bt.70,000 but I am sure there will need to be more parts purchased.

Tyres are just some China made things as I bought the wheels/tyres as a package combo.

Not too bad. Is the Ford dealership installing the engine?

For the short engine only it is Bt.58,000 also to required to purchase are new head bolts/head gasket/Timing Chain/Timing Chain Cover/Timing Chain Tensioner (and bolts).,..total spend so far is Bt.70,000 but I am sure there will need to be more parts purchased.

No. the technicians at my place of employment will be doing the assembly and installation, We are Ford Authorized Vehicle Modifiers and also have a training academy to train Ford technicians globally.

Sorry,but I did not follow your story...so how exactly did the water get inside the engine?And any tips to prevent this to happened?...(I do own a Ranger and occasionally will have to go through some paddles)...

...nice truck BTW...

It is a nice truck indeed, if I was was shopping for a new truck, I would buy a Ranger again.

I read in the Nation that the Ranger is the best selling Ford model in Thailand with +2800 units sold per month.

Changed the oil at 1000 km and did the 15K check/oil change at 6xxx km at a cost at just over 3000 baht each time (check is free but pay for the oil).

70k baht for a 2.2 engine is cheap.

I can't see how the water can enter the engine but though the air filter?

I been checking the Thai Ranger forum (translate with Goggle) and I can't find anything about problems with water entering the engine.

No. the technicians at my place of employment will be doing the assembly and installation, We are Ford Authorized Vehicle Modifiers and also have a training academy to train Ford technicians globally.

Well ... DUH!! You're like one of the go-to links of knowledge in the Ford technical hierarchy - don't you guys have a working theory(ies) about how the water got into your engine!

With your support network and a new engine, why aren't you choosing to keep your vehicle?

We have several theories as to how the damage was caused however as the Ford Dealership stripped down to the very last nut and bolt it is to hard to substantiate any off them.

One theory does not even involve water ingress and is that the crank angle sensor was somehow disturbed driving through the water and the ECU injected fuel at the wrong moment which I guess is possible given that the engine lost power and when I gave it more throttle it stalled.......it actually cranked over for about 10 seconds after stalling before it hydro'd itself.

However the root cause will never be known unfortunately.

Reason for the desire to sell is the utterly atrocious actions of Ford Thailand in handling this matter, saying that as you mention the support network I have available to me I may keep it and just remove Ford themselves from the equation altogether.

We have several theories as to how the damage was caused however as the Ford Dealership stripped down to the very last nut and bolt it is to hard to substantiate any off them.

One theory does not even involve water ingress and is that the crank angle sensor was somehow disturbed driving through the water and the ECU injected fuel at the wrong moment which I guess is possible given that the engine lost power and when I gave it more throttle it stalled.......it actually cranked over for about 10 seconds after stalling before it hydro'd itself.

However the root cause will never be known unfortunately.

Reason for the desire to sell is the utterly atrocious actions of Ford Thailand in handling this matter, saying that as you mention the support network I have available to me I may keep it and just remove Ford themselves from the equation altogether.

.... that would be my choice ....

.... unless I was opting for one of those cool looking 3.2 Rangers!

How do you guys compare the 2.2 with the 3.2?

I haven't tried the 3.2 but been told not much difference unless fully loaded up with pineapples or pulling a boat.

I am very happy with my 2.2WT and don't want/need 4WD = extra 100kg and 100K baht more, no thanks.

I haven't tried the 3.2 but been told not much difference unless fully loaded up with pineapples or pulling a boat.

I am very happy with my 2.2WT and don't want/need 4WD = extra 100kg and 100K baht more, no thanks.

So, I take it that unlike the 2.2, the 3.2 would primarily be better with heavier loads plus offer 4WD? Those would be the features that would satisfy my discriminating needs - plus A/T, 4 door cab and GPS Navi system.

The new Rangers that I have seen on the road would win the 'Best Looking PU Trucks in the LOS Market' award, IMHO, of course.

Edited by thailoht

You did 14k without changing the engine oil and filter! blink.png

First service is at 15k.

Or 9 months, which ever comes first?

well it was only about 8.5 months old when the incident happened so either way it was still not due for it's first service.

Wonder what happens with the service history of the vehicle now it is getting a new engine before it made it to it's first "book" service point ?

Well, it was only about 8.5 months old when the incident happened so either way it was still not due for it's first service.

Wonder what happens with the service history of the vehicle now it is getting a new engine before it made it to it's first "book" service point ?

That is going to be interesting indeed! Staying tuned to Part II of this saga .... pass the popcorn! coffee1.gif

A new factory engine should definitely come with an already stamped number. How else could it be traced back to the factory and build date etc?

On the other hand remanufactured engines rarely come with a number.

In the UK I have a 1963 Land Rover. Axle casing and gearbox numbers tally with the chassis number, but there's no engine number.

The engine is multi platform hence it is not stamped with a number as each platform has a different designator in the number sequence is my understanding as to why they do not come pre-stamped.

It is fitted to the ,

Mondeo

Transit

Jaguar x-type

Citroen Jumper

Peugot Boxer

Fiat Ducato

Land Rover Defender

Ranger T6

Mazda BT-50

The no number thing is very common on other models/makes as well I have since discovered.

I find it very hard to believe any OEM selling a remanufactured engine would grind off an existing number.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Sad days when a Fordie engine is also fitted to a Jaguar.

A magazine advert in UK i have just read, is for a brand new old stock engine says no number stamped.

Given Jaguar is owned by Tata the engine choices could be a lot worse than a Ford engine.

A magazine advert in UK i have just read, is for a brand new old stock engine says no number stamped.

Well if so, it's been sad days since the late 90's :P

To add salt to your apparent wound, the V12 used by Aston Martin is also a Ford engine, the turbo 4's & 5's used in recent Volvo's are Ford, as are all of the 4-pot engines currently fitted to Range Rover Sport, Evoque and Freelanders.

• Like 2

Was a Sad Day when those tiny Ford Rev Counters and Speedometers replaced the big Jaeger ones , in Astons and Jags,an end of an era ,in fact. Walnut Facias ,lost ground to plastic, and the character died.violin.gif

If there were such a good thing why did they go broke and have to sell ?

• Like 1

Was a Sad Day when those tiny Ford Rev Counters and Speedometers replaced the big Jaeger ones , in Astons and Jags,an end of an era ,in fact. Walnut Facias ,lost ground to plastic, and the character died.violin.gif

If there What.?.

Given Jaguar is owned by Tata the engine choices could be a lot worse than a Ford engine.

Yes and they were previously owned by Ford as part of their premium market group which also included others like Volvo.

a Sad Day when those tiny Ford Rev Counters and Speedometers replaced the big Jaeger ones , in Astons and Jags,an end of an era ,in fact. Walnut Facias ,lost ground to plastic, and the character died.violin.gif

Because they had British engines and electrics whistling.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

GM and Chrysler only avoided going broke because of a government bailout, Harley-Davidson did go broke and had to sell twice, and they are doing fine.

Chrysler didn't get bailed out by the government anywhere near the extent of GM as they were bought into by FIAT.

Edited by WarpSpeed